Careful when in a Hotel

Status
Not open for further replies.
My findings are less expensive lodging like the type you would use for travel sports team you get less desirable people staying there. Sometime including the travel sports teams with younger kids who have poor parents modulating them.

The few times I have run across offenders I was stuck at inexpensive motels. You just have to be extra vilgant with odd men staring at your kids. They don't seem to be in the mid range and up places.

I recently stayed at a Best Western in Kingman AZ. The place was packed with men who I think were either homeless or being housed under some kind of government program. Aside from the lobby staff I never saw another woman while there. I was traveling alone and remember thinking the situation could be unsafe for a woman who was traveling alone and staying there. And my free morning breakfast in the hotel lobby with all these so called "victims"- it was gross and I couldn't get out of there fast enough.

Scott

Interestingly enough, I stopped in Kingman AZ for a bathroom break and gas and this was the only time my card info was ever stolen.

This is rather utopian. When in MA we did ask the front desk and we were given a frank no we don't do that. I'm retired LE and another parent is a current duty Trooper. We had the local police respond and the Duty Sgt. verified the person we called about was a registered sex offender and social services had put him up there. Don't think for a second they will do the honorable thing and let you know.

This is the issue for me. I'm libertarian and if you're buying the room I get it. BUT and it's a huge BUT there should be a disclosure law when housing any sex offender. That wll never happen as few would ever stay at a hotel with offenders like this staying there as well. We travel with kids and they love to run around the pool and play football, basketball, or baseball. We noticed this guy lurking around the basketball court and confronted him. That was us who figured it out, not the hotel notifying us. Dirty little secret.

If you CKN would have your kids around that as a conscious choice? You need a little more world experience. Safety first, right?
The hotel probably didn't know. Social services paid for a room and that was that.

Interestingly enough, I stopped in Kingman AZ for a bathroom break and gas and this was the only time my card info was ever stolen.
From what little I saw, Kingman was not very impressive. One of the homeless (?) hotel residents even made a crack about Kingman while standing behind me getting morning coffee.

Scott

My findings are less expensive lodging like the type you would use for travel sports team you get less desirable people staying there. Sometime including the travel sports teams with younger kids who have poor parents modulating them.

The few times I have run across offenders I was stuck at inexpensive motels. You just have to be extra vilgant with odd men staring at your kids. They don't seem to be in the mid range and up places.

Yeah, avoid the Red Room Inn and other Roach Motels.

I remember when I was a kid my parents were staying in a Ramada Inn and the fire alarm went off in the middle of the night two nights in a row.

Is that still a problem with low-budget hotels and motels?

Money. Cheaper to put the on the street.
There was also a change in the interpretation of the law, and rights of the individuals involved. It made it impossible to institutionalize these folks unless you could prove they were a danger to others, or themselves. So, unless they voluntarily were committed, or they committed a violent act, you couldn't and still can't get them off the streets.
One thing I notice whenever a homeless person is interviewed by a reporter in Las Vegas. They all seem to have recently arrived from somewhere else. As Overkill mentioned above, if you treat homeless well, you become a destination location. I personally don't mind helping locals down on their luck, but I'll be darned to heck if I'll ever pay for drug addicts that travel to my town from elsewhere.

Some cities give homeless people a one way bus ticket to Las Vegas.

There was also a change in the interpretation of the law, and rights of the individuals involved. It made it impossible to institutionalize these folks unless you could prove they were a danger to others, or themselves. So, unless they voluntarily were committed, or they committed a violent act, you couldn't and still can't get them off the streets.
One thing I notice whenever a homeless person is interviewed by a reporter in Las Vegas. They all seem to have recently arrived from somewhere else. As Overkill mentioned above, if you treat homeless well, you become a destination location. I personally don't mind helping locals down on their luck, but I'll be darned to heck if I'll ever pay for drug addicts that travel to my town from elsewhere.

You really have to perform due diligence wherever you travel these days. Some internet searching might prove to be helpful.

I remember when I was a kid my parents were staying in a Ramada Inn and the fire alarm went off in the middle of the night two nights in a row.

Is that still a problem with low-budget hotels and motels?

Having a fire alarm go off in the middle of the night might be the least of your worries. There are places around here where gunfire happens quite often and also widespread theft. Will your car be in the parking lot when you wake up.

This is rather utopian. When in MA we did ask the front desk and we were given a frank no we don't do that. I'm retired LE and another parent is a current duty Trooper. We had the local police respond and the Duty Sgt. verified the person we called about was a registered sex offender and social services had put him up there. Don't think for a second they will do the honorable thing and let you know.

This is the issue for me. I'm libertarian and if you're buying the room I get it. BUT and it's a huge BUT there should be a disclosure law when housing any sex offender. That wll never happen as few would ever stay at a hotel with offenders like this staying there as well. We travel with kids and they love to run around the pool and play football, basketball, or baseball. We noticed this guy lurking around the basketball court and confronted him. That was us who figured it out, not the hotel notifying us. Dirty little secret.

If you CKN would have your kids around that as a conscious choice? You need a little more world experience. Safety first, right?
Should there be a hotel chain that only caters to Sex Offenders? Small kids should be in a parents eye site 100% of the time in a hotel.

I would agree wpod, drug abuse has become/has always been a huge problem. Taxpayers don't really foot the bill until politicians get involved. Most homeless are just fine with living on the street, I say its a free country - let them live on the street.
Like many my attitude is "not on my street"

As previously mentioned, things changed... in 1975:
This is what did it:

The hotel probably didn't know. Social services paid for a room and that was that.

They collect more data on you during a stay than they do that housed person.
Should there be a hotel chain that only caters to Sex Offenders? Small kids should be in a parents eye site 100% of the time in a hotel.

Do you have kids? So I should curtail my kid's freedom to house your special interest? You are the problem. How true are you to the cause? Or would you do what is being done by AOC to migrants in the Bronx? Facts here. Why not there? Why not in the Vinyard?

Yes, it's called a jail! Your cavalier attitude is demonstrative. Please, tell us all your solution to this?

You have gone to the nonsensical universe and non coherent conversation....bye!

Meanwhile, veterans of foreign wars walk the streets looking for reason,help,and so much more yet we piss on them. Sorry, just so disgusting to see what's happened to the ones that have had to give the most. If I'm wrong for saying it oh well it's common sense to see what's happening. I pray my daughter, a Marine doesn't get dragged into this global snafu that they are running just to get votes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back