Careful when in a Hotel

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not far from Marist College near Town of Poughkeepsie. A visiting Marist father was in the wrong place at the wrong time and was caught between 2 homeless men having a spat. Turned deadly with gunfire and the father being shot and killed. They were all staying in a CourtYard Hotel. Social Services has been buying up hotel rooms at the Gov't rate and filling them with people that would otherwise not be there.

Another issue to be aware of. We ran across this in a MA Extended Stay and one of the guys was a sex offender out on bail. We had our 14yr old travel baseball team staying there for a 5 day tournament. The hotel(s) are under no obligation to notify you before booking and do everything they can to keep things quiet.

I'm not far from Marist College near Town of Poughkeepsie. A visiting Marist father was in the wrong place at the wrong time and was caught between 2 homeless men having a spat. Turned deadly with gunfire and the father being shot and killed. They were all staying in a CourtYard Hotel. Social Services has been buying up hotel rooms at the Gov't rate and filling them with people that would otherwise not be there.

Another issue to be aware of. We ran across this in a MA Extended Stay and one of the guys was a sex offender out on bail. We had our 14yr old travel baseball team staying there for a 5 day tournament. The hotel(s) are under no obligation to notify you before booking and do everything they can to keep things quiet.

If only NIMBYs weren't so against opening more homeless shelters and if mental illness were properly addressed.

Mental illness is a huge problem and there are no easy answers....putting them into hotels is at least humane, but yeah I don't want to pay to stay amongst people that have questionable decision making skills.
Brains fried by drug and Alcohol use/abuse is the major driver of our problems.. I guess then taxpayers will foot the bill.

I would agree wpod, drug abuse has become/has always been a huge problem. Taxpayers don't really foot the bill until politicians get involved. Most homeless are just fine with living on the street, I say its a free country - let them live on the street.

I recently stayed at a Best Western in Kingman AZ. The place was packed with men who I think were either homeless or being housed under some kind of government program. Aside from the lobby staff I never saw another woman while there. I was traveling alone and remember thinking the situation could be unsafe for a woman who was traveling alone and staying there. And my free morning breakfast in the hotel lobby with all these so called "victims"- it was gross and I couldn't get out of there fast enough.

Scott

Yeah, this was sad and stuck out in my mind because he was from Long Island where I grew up. Looked like a nice family too.

I recently stayed at a Best Western in Kingman AZ. The place was packed with men who I think were either homeless or being housed under some kind of government program. Aside from the lobby staff I never saw another woman while there. I was traveling alone and remember thinking the situation could be unsafe for a woman who was traveling alone and staying there. And my free morning breakfast in the hotel lobby with all these so called "victims"- it was gross and I couldn't get out of there fast enough.

Scott
Same - I head to town for breakfast now …

Why did we close all the State Hospitals that were for people that were mentally unstable' Why are we not allowed to call a Spade a Spade anymore?
Because in the 60s a movement to transfer them all to community mental healthcare centers resulted in the CMH act and unfortunately it didn't work as intended, and all the states started discharging patients with no oversight or tracking, and closing the state hospitals to save money. Then the mental healthcare systems act of 1980 put the final nail in the coffin. A huge percentage of mentally ill people today end up in jail instead of in an inpatient treatment center where they could receive the treatment they need. Many of those people are so sick they don't even realize they're sick and stop taking their medication without someone to tell them to. The sad thing is, it cost far more to keep the mentally ill in prisons than in mental hospitals, and also shifts the burden of care onto a group of people (correctional staff, police) that aren't trained to deal with mental illness. Fortunately in the last couple of years the idea of re-institutionalization has started to come up a bit more as people come to realize just how dire the situation is for mentally ill. When the state hospitals closed, a large percentage of those discharged simply ended up on the street, because they are incapable of taking care of themselves. They end up in jail, or dead, or drug addicts and THEN dead. The treatment of the mentally ill in this country is appalling.

So you are OK with one opening next door to you?
Yeah, because I have empathy for these people that need help. I'm also in favor of safe, supervised injection sites that provide untainted drugs and clean needles, and narcan readily available to addicts until they can receive proper care. Drug abuse is a symptom (in the beginning, at least) not a cause, and these people deserve better treatment than they get.

Last edited:
Homelessness and associated ills are a really tough issue.
I was raised to heal the sick and feed the homeless. But for the Grace of .... there go I.
By the way, I am not religious, so put in whatever works for you.

Oh yeah, I've been homeless, so there's that. I know I am one of the lucky ones.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back