Cardboard in my Purolator

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well after finding this site I caught the oil filter killing bug and cut open one of my Purolator Premium Plus filters (#L10193) and found that it has cardboard end caps on the filter. I was disappointed as I purchased a whole bunch of these at a low price ($1.87 each) thinking that they weren't cheap like Frams and had metal end caps like so many other Purolator's that people had opened up. I still plan to use these on my car (92 Mitsubishi Galant VR4, 4cyl turbo AWD) unless you guys have a real good reason not to. I plan to open up the first few and check them out after some use.

I also measured the area of the filter element and came up with 152 in.sq. instead of the spec of 184 I have seen from other people. Is Purolator going cheap?

All the Purolator I have cut open have had metal end caps. However the L 10193 from last year did not have the 184 sq. in. the older ones did. Also newer AC's and ST's have less filter area than older ones. I do not see a problem with cardboard end caps. I do see a problem with shrinking filter area.,

Hmmmmmm, the L14476 for my car has metal caps and gives me the least amount of cold start noise of any filter I've tried
confused.gif
Guess you just have to find the application specific filter that's the best for your application.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back