Carb Cleaner vs Brake Cleaner

I was using Super Tech brake cleaner the other day on a chainsaw. Turned out to not be the best choice as all the paint melted right off the painted metal case (Sthil).
So I came to BITOG for info and found these threads:

And this info in the first thread:

CRC Carb Cleaner ingredients: Acetone 20-30% Toluene 35-45% Methanol 25-35% Carbon dioxide 5–10%

Berryman's B12 ingredients: Toluene 40-50% Methanol 20-30% Acetone 20-30% MEK 1-5% 2-Butoxyethanol 1-5% Isopropanol 1-5% Mixed Xylenes 1-5%

Supertech Carb Cleaner ingredients: Acetone 47.2% Toluene 44.7%

Gumout Jet Spray Carburetor and Choke Cleaner ingredients: Acetone 60-100% Propane 5-10% MEK 1-5% Distillates (petroleum) 1-5%

Prestone Carb and Choke Cleaner ingredients: Acetone 60-100% Solvent Naphtha Petroleum Distillates 10-30%

Based on what I can glean from these, brake cleaner is supposed to be "easier" on parts than carb cleaner? Sure didn't turn out that way for me. Chainsaw went through lots of two stroke mix and had no paint damage at all. Then I tried to clean sap off it and damaged the paint - Sigh.

What chemical in the ST brake cleaner softens and bubbles the paint?

What do you guys use that won't damage paint and plastic?

Berryman B12 stripped the paint off on an aluminum Honda valve cover for me. Worked great as a piston soak though!

In sensitive applications I just use a degreaser, and the best value (performance vs price) has definitely been "LA's Totally Awesome" cleaner/degreaser from Dollar Tree. It worked better for me than more expensive "Purple Power" or "Simple Green", in every application I put it through so far. Spray, let it sit, watch the grime melt off. A little agitation speeds things up if needed.

I don't see any difference in the SDS between the Carb Cleaner and the Brake Cleaner?

ST Non Chlorinated Brake Cleaner.jpg
ST Carb Cleaner.jpg

I prefer not to use any spray product around paint, plastic, or rubber. Degreasing a chainsaw or tools, I'd just use gasoline. Even at $6 a gallon it's still WAY cheaper than spray cans. I have a container of "dirty gas" I use for first pass (which started out its life as gas for 2 cycle equipment but no oil added yet, then some is left over at end of season so stale anyway, don't want to use it in an engine then), then clean gas rinse goes into the dirty gas container too. Sometimes a small brush is involved.

I'll use brake cleaner too but not so much on something small/easy to move outside like a chainsaw or wipe with a rag like tools.

Last edited:
yeah, hate that I didn't check that out first. Ruined the paint - now I have to figure out what to paint it with so I don't mess it up again.

yeah, hate that I didn't check that out first. Ruined the paint - now I have to figure out what to paint it with so I don't mess it up again.
If it looks hideous then I might grab a rattle can paint. Supposedly Krylon Mandarin color is close to Stihl Orange but it also seems like Stihl orange got deeper/darker from their earlier plastics to their painted metals?

WD-40 will cut through dirt, grease, and grime, and it's safe on any plastic or paint. After I use my chainsaws, I blow off as much sawdust and crap as I can with compressed air. Then I give them a good spraying with WD-40. Then wipe them clean. I stay away from those spray cleaners, for reasons you demonstrated.

Supertech brake cleaner is the cheapest solvent cleaner I can get at my Walmart. It is cheaper than their carb cleaner (but carb cleaner bottle costs less because it's smaller). Honestly if I found something that would take paint off I'd be like, wow this stuff is great!

Honestly if I found something that would take paint off I'd be like, wow this stuff is great!
When I've used it on lawn mowers to clean the head surface, it'll eat the paint right off the aluminum block but it doesn't seem to do anything to the finish on the deck.

Supertech brake cleaner is the cheapest solvent cleaner I can get at my Walmart. It is cheaper than their carb cleaner (but carb cleaner bottle costs less because it's smaller). Honestly if I found something that would take paint off I'd be like, wow this stuff is great!
Well, it took the Sthil factory paint right off the case. Perfectly !

We're talking about cleaning here. I can't believe anyone would want to risk using something that would remove the paint off, what they're trying to clean the dirt off of. Would you wash your car or wheels with paint thinner or acetone?

Brake cleaner is for brakes. Any light oil based solvent like WD-40, or even plain Kerosene in a trigger spray, will make a dirty chain saw look like new..... Not like it just came out of the die casting press.

Yeah, using the ST brake cleaner on the Sthil case didn't work out the way I wanted - not at all. Now I have more work to do instead of less.

I just don't understand how both ST products show the same chemicals and yet one is "safe" on plastics and the other one isn't.

Strange.

For me from here on out, it's WD-40, kerosene, or alcohol. I'm no fan of extra work.

I think brake cleaner is supposed to be more harsher than carb cleaner from what I've read.

For stuff like that, I usually use a low concentration of Simple Green Industrial Degreaser that does the trick. WD-40, as previously mentioned, works relatively well too, leaving behind a mist of oil is so desired.

I use Repco (large aussie car parts chain) brand brake cleaner to clean stubborn records. It works when simple green and other cleaning products need too much effort, which can damage a record.
Never lost an LP.

Back