carb cleaner hard on seals?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been fighting with my ATV carb the last few days as it was completely varnished up with what looks to be mold or something in there. The stuff is very solid and tough. It wouldn't even come off with the spray carb cleaner. I had to actually take all the jets out, float valves and other parts out and soak them in a gallon of carb soak then rub the stuff off. This being said, the atv has been sitting for about a year so some buildup i would expect. Anyway, with build up like this would a fuel additive even help or are they mostly just a preventative measure. This being asked, i do use MMO in the recommended amount so there was mmo in the gas since last year. If you do use a good carb cleaning additive, is it hard on the little rubber o-rings and stuff. That soak i have is some pretty harsh stuff. Im thinking of switching from MMO to maybe an actual carb cleaner. Also is there an additive out there that helps negate the negative effects of the ethanol that is now being added to our gas?

I dont think anything you can run thru a atv carb, is going to do any damage. Although the newer carbs with the pancake/diafram tops are no where as rugged as the old Mikuni and Kehien carbs. They are fairly toleratable to anything. Much more than a car or even a lawnmower. That said, I want to say, I have had the best luck by far with Seafoam as a cleaner and especially fuel preserver. Since I have started using Seafoam as my regular fuel treatment, I have not had one issue with a carb needing cleaned after sitting for months, if not years. I used Stabil and had trouble. As the owner of 7 motorcycles,8 quads, 3 lawnmowers and alot of small two cycle engine thingamedoos, that dont all get used regularly, Seafoam is the only thing I have had luck with.

Thanks for the post, maybe ill give that a shot. I have never used sea foam before. Is it just an additive like the rest of the stuff?

I was just looking at there website, do you really mix it one oz per gallon of fuel? Seems like you would go thru a lot of it.

Originally Posted By: jstutz
I was just looking at there website, do you really mix it one oz per gallon of fuel? Seems like you would go thru a lot of it.

Yeah, and it's expensive stuff. Plus, if I recall correctly, it is 10-15% isopropanol or some other alcohol- not really what you're looking for.

-Techniker

The stuff isnt cheap and you do mix in 1 ounce, but Stabil isnt cheap either and to stabilize ethanol gas they tell you to use twice the amount. I have also tried Startron which is very expensive, but only takes 1 ounce for 10 to 15 gallon. I havent really tried it enough yet to make a claim Good or bad on it. I can tell you, I have a Polaris 400 atv, that hasnt been started since March and it fired right up with the gas with Sea foam in it. I also had a KDX200 that sat with Premix in it for over a year and half, I thought for sure I would have to clean the jets and get new gas, it not only started on the third kick, I ran the gas out of it and it ran fine, a little rich, but never fouled a plug. I have never had that luck with any other gas stabilizer. My stuff sits more than its ridden, for sometimes years. I wouldnt endorse it, if it didnt work.

good enough. Panzerman, do you run it in them 100% of the time or just before you store them?

I pretty much just run it in them year around, the shelf life on this ethanol gas is awful. We take the quads camping once a month, so even then I think its a good idea. Its a pain to get the carbs off a Polaris, they really pack them in there. If I know its going to be put away awhile, I double the dose, I am sure the two stroke premix helps also, although I still had trouble with the premix alone

I've rebuilt many carburators and never used carburator cleaner. Each time I approach these jobs the same way. I completely disassemble the carburator and clean each part individually with mineral spirits and a toothbrush. That's the only way to clean insoluble grit. Not all dirt will melt away with carb cleaner.

If possible, use wire to physically poke through all the tiny passages with your cleaner. Use common sense and care, of course. Those deposits are tough, and simple spraying is not a sure thing.

Well i got the ATV running like a champ now. I soaked all the jets and blew them out good. The only issue i have now is it is still dripping some fuel out the overflow. I ordered a carb kit as it comes with the float valve and seat. The entire kit costs as much as just the part so i figured while i have it off, i might as well changes the seals and stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back