Caravan - Brake & Electrical Nightmare?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well the family is growing and we are looking to grow our vehicle to accommodate. I was starting to settle on the 2007 to 2010 Caravan/Town & Country until I started reading reviews on edmunds.com. Most of the reviews I read were for the 2008 model year and most of them sited serious brake problems. Things like needing the brake work 4 times by 37,000 miles or having to replace the brake pads annually and rotors every other year from 2008 to 2012 over a 90,000 mile period. My math puts that at new pads roughly every 22,000 miles and rotors every 44,000. That does seem rather frequent to me.

I also read a number of reviewers who sited weird electrical problems. Wipers, headlights and comming on and horn honking at random even with the van off. Also noticed a handful of various control modules failing.

While most of the reviews I read were for 2008 I skimmed through reviews for 2007, 2006, 2009 and saw many similar postings. Anybody here seen similar problems with a caravan/town & country. If so how serious was the problem? Was it as easy fix?

The Chrysler vans are one of the few vans that survives to this day. They are better than the complaint sites, I mean forums, make them sound. They are not perfect, and transmission control issues are common. Engines are solid. Very practical and user friendly, and good enough that Volkswagen would source their short lived van, the Routan, from Chrysler.
A higher maintenance vehicle that will run for a really long time if maintained.

I have a 2010 G.C. with the 4.0 liter engine as noted below. With 41K mi. on it I have had no problems except the parking brake cable broke at about 33K. Fixed on warranty. The newer ones are great. The 3.6 Pentastar engines are getting a good review & the 6 speed transmissions are pretty nice as well. I get 17 to 28 mpg. They are much less expensive than the competition. The Town & Country are pretty much the same van only a lot pricier. Hopes this helps you decide.

I have a close friend that owns a 2008 G.C. and its had issues with the suspension and its been getting terrible gas mileage. Its had other small issues. They have only owned it for a year and are already looking to trade it. I would go for an odyssey or sienna.

They are very problematic, just look at the Chrysler Minivan Fan Forum.

Just because the buy in is cheap, doesn't mean overall ownership is worth saving a few bucks over competition.

the early 2000's models had electrical gremlins from the poor quality solder, back in the early days of lead-free solder.

some of the problems with the horn, cruise, etc. going wonky, were bad clocksprings, but those are a lifetime warrantied part.

My sister has an 08 grand caravan, something did happen with the brakes last year, but i don't remember what. only other issue she's had is some bubble rust(paint now flaked off.. just exposed rust now) along the bottom of the pass. side sliding door...

dad is looking to buy a newer(2010+) GC, or T&C to replace his '05 Ford Freestyle.(details of the freestyle available upon request if anyone's interested - shoot me a PM.)

i know of a few with over 200,000 miles on them my 96 rides better than my caddy and at 170,000 miles it still runs good trans shifts really hard when cold until completly warmed up but other than that its a great van 3.3 v6

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
stay away from the odyssey they have real; problems and the sienna is not so great either

Better than the caravan

Sister has 1993 and 2007 Grand Caravans.

1993 has 320k on it and runs perfect. I rode in both over the last week when I was up in her place and the 1993 is a better built and rides/performs better than the 2007 with almost a third LESS miles.

2007 has door issues, poor thumping suspension, has required over $1,000 in AC repair alone and now is using about a quart every 1000 miles.

It will NOT make 150k IMO without major $$$ and then she still has a 2007 pile. I'm not impressed with it at all.
15.gif

If it was 1/2 the vehicle the 1993 is then there would be some hope. I suspect a crossover will be in her carport in the next year. Prob a Kia, Hyundai or Dodge with a simple 4 cyl.

On the other hand, the stow and go is nice.

Bill

I have a 2003 with over 100k miles. A couple little problems - new window regulator and alternator. Brakes were changed 50k. It has been a great van so far.

Cabbies here are driving mopar minivans.

There is no perfect FWD unibody van. They're all heavy and overpowered, which breaks stuff.

Stay with a 2001-2004 area van,or if money allows a 2010-up.The Chryslers had a rash of issues coming mid generation around 2005,and the next generation (2008) was a disaster.Avoid those years like the plague.Not unusual to see over 200K out of one,and if they were all junky they would never reach that.

From personal research 2010+ seems to be a decent buy. 2008-2009 are how Chrysler build their poor reputation.

They seem in the previous generations to take more care and feeding than typical vehicle however do seem to go 200k-300k in transmission does not die out.

I am debating personally whether to go 2010+ Chrysler/Dodge vs Sienna. Sienna seems the least "worst" of the lot although not perfect.

Brake pads every 22k is pretty frequent, but if you can do it yourself it's pretty cheap. While I like to grumble about short brake life it's pretty low on the costs. At least as long as you're not paying someone else to do the job for you.

Originally Posted By: DanielinTheLions
While most of the reviews I read were for 2008 I skimmed through reviews for 2007, 2006, 2009 and saw many similar postings. Anybody here seen similar problems with a caravan/town & country. If so how serious was the problem? Was it as easy fix?

I used to help moderate the Chrysler minivan fan club forum, and used to own a 2003 and 2007 van myself. I will give you my honest assessment of the vehicles based on my ownership and moderatorship at that forum.

In general, the vans are very good. The 4th generation ran from 2001-2007 and the 5th generation runs from 2008 to current. For the most part, the transmission issues have been fixed and the engines are good. There are a lot of reports of electrical and suspension problems. My main fear with these vans is I have witnessed a number of issues that persist between generations that don't seem to get fixed. So although the new ones have zoomy engines and nicer interiors, has the stuff under the skin really been fixed? Stabilizer bar links and bushings are very common problems on these, as are tie rod ends. This persisted from the 3rd generation through to the current generation. Why? Why can't they get a handle on that problem? There are many reports of rust in specific areas on these, particularly the hood and the liftgate. The main vehicle structure seems to be generally resistant to rust, but the hood and liftgate seem to be more prone.

We loved our '07 Town & Country, until the problems seemed to arise. I was doing stabilizer bar bushings myself, about every 5-10k miles. It was too much hassle to take it to the dealer to have that fixed, so I just resigned myself to it. The stabilizer bar bushing bracket uses just ONE bolt per side. There's a little "hook" on the bracket where a second bolt would be. Consensus on the forum is this is the primary reason for the repeated bushing failures. Why couldn't Dodge have added a second bolt? Stuff like this is frustrating.

Ours needed a number of things that it shouldn't have needed so early in its life, and many were indeed electrical-related. Both rear ABS sensors needed replacing. One was under warranty, and the other was not. The one that needed replacing under warranty also failed again out of warranty, so it had a total of three replacement rear ABS sensors. The alternator was replaced twice, so it had a total of three alternators on it. The A/C compressor was replaced once, so it had a total of two. But it still wasn't right when we traded it (noisy). The serpentine belt tensioner was replaced at least once, maybe twice. The powertrain harness was replaced, but that was due to the OEM Mopar battery having or developing a pinhole leak that corroded the cable end off the harness. Why couldn't Chrysler just put a replacement cable end on it? No, they had to put a $1,200 powertrain harness on it (under warranty). Oddly, all the extra gizmos worked on our van. The power liftgate, the power sliding doors, the rear seat video, the in-dash navigation...all of this stuff worked. But the fundamentals fell apart (alternator, A/C, suspension, etc). That was the real frustrating part.

It also had to have a few TSBs done at the dealer, for transmission programming and one for a replacement power steering hose.

Our '03 Grand Caravan was somewhat better. It needed replacement stabilizer bar bushings and links only twice in the 40k miles that we owned it. It also needed a replacement water pump and a replacement power steering pump. The water pump was done under the 7/70 powertrain warranty; the power steering pump was on us. It also had to have a recall or two done, for a power steering hose problem.

When the 2008s first came out, there were many problems with the power sliding doors. They'd either get out of alignment or not work completely. Many new 2008 owners on the forum, who traded 3rd or 4th generation vans on a new 5th gen van, were disappointed in the quality of the new vans. The interior was a Tupperware clearance sale, extremely low-rent. Brakes were also a sticking point, pardon the pun. They were incredibly dirty (dusty) and had very short life. Chrysler released a revised brake design and that is covered under a TSB. They will fix it if still under warranty; the repair is on you if it's out of warranty.

To their credit, Chrysler really worked on the van and the newer ones are reportedly very good. They ride better, the handle much better, they drive better, and the interior quality is beyond comparison. This happened at, if I recall correctly, the 2011 model year. I wouldn't hesitate (much) on a brand new one, but I honestly would look very carefully at a 2008 or 2009 for signs of the very common issues with those. Vet an early 5th gen very thoroughly before purchase. You're probably safer with a later 4th generation van. The 2005+ models have Sto-N-Go, and that is quite handy. Most of them are reliable. They drive okay and ride like boulevard cruisers, which is appropriate for how they're often used.

to be honest ALL the dodges had the Tupperware boring interiors in the years between Daimler and fiat...which can be a good thing, use the same bits across several models(like the k cars)but they used the cheapest looking plastics i've seen in years.
I vastly prefer the appearance of the materials in my 05 neon, to the ones used in my sisters '08 caravan, or my brother's 07 dakota.
2010-11+ they really got the their act together with the interior design. while they are similar across the range, it doesn't feel so "cookie cutter" as the years immediately prior.
much better looking/feeling parts and materials.
just my
49.gif

Hmmm. Many believe that Daimler ran Chrysler into the ground during that mid 2000's era.

My friend is a professional Mopar mechanic and he told me (yes, anecdotal) that he really noticed a difference in quality improvement at many levels when Fiat entered the picture after 2009.

Just an observation.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Cabbies here are driving mopar minivans.

There is no perfect FWD unibody van. They're all heavy and overpowered, which breaks stuff.

Exactly.

All you see in Taxi/Livery service in my area are Caravans. Some pained odd colors with a mop, but they run on!

Well to some extent I guess I've just gotten spoiled by the 2001 Prism that I have. I think I've had less than 3 actual repairs since I've owned it. Some of that is probably due to the lowish number of miles but either way it's been very reliable. Sounds like if we go with a Caravan we'll need to be prepared to do a few fixes here and there.

The overall picture that I'm getting here though is that it might be better to go with a slightly older caravan 2005-2006 or else go with a rather new one 2010 to present and avoid the 2007 - 2009.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back