Car Under 5k with Good Mpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toyota Corolla. Go for the lower trim model it will be cheaper but still have A/C, automatic, P/W and stereo.
Good strong body, good engine and transmission, basically a good solid piece of transportation that easy and cheap to maintain.

The GM 3800 cars are great but they do have LIM issues and then there is the 4T65E transmission.
Its not known to be the most reliable especially when the car has an unknown history or is a little older. That's really the only issue i have with them.

I think previous owner over the Make/model is the biggest factor for me.

I'd take a car with a maintenance history and paperwork over a toyota or honda with an unknown history any day. Even "trouble years" cars

You just can't trust people to take care of their cars (How many people probably skipped oil changes, or went the cheapest route during our economic collapse a few years back or never cared to begin with)

Yeah, I'm kind'a on the Camry 4cyl bandwagon! They're boring to drive and very quiet with good mpg and they just go about their business daily. And DAAAAAANG, are they reliable!

Every Prizm I've ever encountered is owned by a cheap jerk who brags about its being a corolla clone before you get to touch its keys. Sorry, chaps, the secret's out.

Of all the corollas and prizms out there FOR SALE, it seems like 90% are the Value Edition with 3 speed automatic and ~30 MPG. Yeah there are some nice ones with stick shifts or OD automatics, just not for sale.
wink.gif

I'd get a Saturn s-series, post 04 ecotec (cavalier, ION), Neon, Focus, etc.

Yeah some have timing belts. If only there were someone called a "mechanic" who'd change 'em for a couple hundred bucks.

2nd generation Dodge/Plymouth Neon, preferably with a 5 speed.

The 03-05 are the best for fuel economy due to the computer and the transmission. 03-05 also had a better mated 4 speed auto vs the 02.

Honda & Toyota are great to buy new - the dealers are under volume pressure and you can get a deal. Buying either one used is not cheap and likely a problem car for under $5k. I'd stick with GM cars from private owners on Craigs List.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Every Prizm I've ever encountered is owned by a cheap jerk who brags about its being a corolla clone before you get to touch its keys. Sorry, chaps, the secret's out.

Of all the corollas and prizms out there FOR SALE, it seems like 90% are the Value Edition with 3 speed automatic and ~30 MPG. Yeah there are some nice ones with stick shifts or OD automatics, just not for sale.
wink.gif

I'd get a Saturn s-series, post 04 ecotec (cavalier, ION), Neon, Focus, etc.

Yeah some have timing belts. If only there were someone called a "mechanic" who'd change 'em for a couple hundred bucks.

There is a prism/corolla 5 speed where I live. It has VT plates ... isn't even rusted!

We had an 03 Civic that would get 40mpg highway, and you could get something similar for 5 grand. Our was stick, not fast but fun to drive and sounds like what you're looking for.

Obviously in the under 5 grand range condition means more than make. I wouldn't limit yourself to Corollas and Civics if you can find a good deal on a Focus or Cobalt.

What about a Vibe? Or can you get a GM with a ignition cylinder of death for a substantial discount?

Last edited:
I guess I don't get the love for the 3800 engine. I broke TWO of them. One in a 75 Buick, and another in an 87 Buick.

It's not like I abused them. They both jumped timing. Never had any other car do that. Not even those with the insanity known as a timing belt.

So the 3800/3.8L Buick V6 is like whatever.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Toyota Corolla. Go for the lower trim model it will be cheaper but still have A/C, automatic, P/W and stereo.
Good strong body, good engine and transmission, basically a good solid piece of transportation that easy and cheap to maintain.

The GM 3800 cars are great but they do have LIM issues and then there is the 4T65E transmission.
Its not known to be the most reliable especially when the car has an unknown history or is a little older. That's really the only issue i have with them.

To be fair the '75 was very old. Was that back in the days of odd fire? I forgot now. But nylon gears were pretty common back then. As was their quick wear.

I sorta get the love for the 3.8/4spd auto. Simple, relatively rugged. If it hasn't died yet odds are it's ok. Low rpm, great for highway cruising.

You might be able to find an ALH TDI for $5k, just don't get an automatic. Beat on it in the city and it still gives 40mpg. 1999.5 to 2003 is where you want to look, or 1998-2003 in a beetle.

I would recommend a grand prix 04-05 3800. Or a low mileage Tauras/sable with the 3.0l. You can buy a great Taurus or grand prix for 5k dollars. A well cared for Kia Rio with low miles is also a good choice. They run a long time and timing belts are a breeze to change. Great little cars. They also get 30 city 40 hwy Which is excellent

Last edited:
For some reason here in So Cal the Vibe brings more than the Toyota
Seems to me for equal miles equal condition I can buy 2 GM products (like a 99 regal)for the price of 1 Honda or Toyota, yet I still see ads that say 120k 99 Toyota "new engine" and I think are they really worth twice the money?
Originally Posted By: jcwit
Look at the Pontiac Vibe, same as the Toyota Matrix but less expensive.
I'm getting an average of 35 MPG.

Originally Posted By: javacontour
I broke TWO of them. One in a 75 Buick, and another in an 87 Buick

The 3800 wasn't in service till 1988. The engine before it was the 3.8 not the same.

Yet they (or AMC) had built it. or it's many variants since 1962. One would think it might be sorted out by 1975 or 1987.

I think the 3800 simply traded one set of problems for another.

The 3800 wasn't in service till 1988. The engine before it was the 3.8 not the same.

I paid $1400 for a 2000 Honda Insight. It gets me 60mpg and I've piled 20,000 miles on it so far while spending very little on it.

Yet they (or AMC) had built it. or it's many variants since 1962. One would think it might be sorted out by 1975 or 1987.

The 3800 is one of the best engines ever made, it has no real issues other than the Gen II had LIM gasket leaks that were taken care of with the introduction of the aluminum frame gaskets.
They are rock solid all iron engines that have a good strong bottom end. I wish they still made this engine. Its main drawback is its a physically large and heavy engine and takes up a lot of real estate for its size.
The weight come from the iron so for me thats a plus not a minus, i like iron engines!

you really think a 3800 from the mid 90's on is the same thing as an engine from 1975?? LOL

Agreed. The 3800 is a great engine with a so so transmission attached to it. I have both an Impala 3800 and a Camry and the Camry's transmission has been flawless for 302, 000 miles. The GM dealer quoted me $3300 for a new trans. when a shift kit helped my hard shifting max pressure code pop up (Thanks Trav!). Toyota Aisin 4 speed trans. are tough. I'd go Corolla all the way. After 300,000 miles, sell it to someone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back