Car storage over winter. oil change?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,

just wondering about the oil on my wifes SLK. For those of you that store a seasonal car, do you change the oil before storage, or in the spring?

Shes put less than 3K miles on it since the current oil change. Its a MB spec synthetic so, I'm not worried about the oil. I'm just wondering if its better to store it with fresh stuff in there.

Thanks,

Ryan

Leave it alone. Even oil that's 95% "used up" protects engine internals. 3k mi is not even half done.

I'd worry about mice nests in the air filter and that's about it.

I'd change it just before storage. Then once during storage. Then before putting it on the road again. I mean... you're supposed to change oil every 3 months/3000 miles. Right?
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: ryan2022
just wondering about the oil on my wifes SLK.

I'd say wipe it off and tell your wife not to cook on it again.

Last edited:
Bahaha.

Okay, thanks guys.

The car will be 40 minutes away in my brother in laws barn. Its well sheltered, and will be sitting next to a boat owned by a guy that runs a pest control business. The barn is going to be fumigated prior to storage, and well baited.

I'll just change it after storage then, the car calls for annual oil changes, and its a long drain synthetic.

I figure I'll park it on wood planks under the tires, and overinflate them slightly, pull the battery, fuel stabilizer.... etc...

I'll wait unitl spring to change the oil again.

Thanks, Ryan

I would inflate the tires to just below the maximum allowable inflation pressure that is written on the tire. The psi will go down significantly as it gets cold so only slightly inflating it will not be enough.

When in storage, oil just sits in the sump and does not really do much in terms of protection. So why not just drain it and change the filter, put a few stickies on the dash saying " NO OIL IN ENGINE " ... then fill up with fresh oil right before starting next spring.

Originally Posted By: Dave424
When in storage, oil just sits in the sump and does not really do much in terms of protection. So why not just drain it and change the filter, put a few stickies on the dash saying " NO OIL IN ENGINE " ... then fill up with fresh oil right before starting next spring.

I bet you the stickies all fall off!

Originally Posted By: ryan2022

and its a long drain synthetic.

I figure I'll park it on wood planks under the tires, and overinflate them slightly, pull the battery, fuel stabilizer.... etc...

Sounds like a great plan. Here's mine that's worked for 20+ years so far: I do an oil change in the week or two before storage and then, for the cars I keep somewhere else, I make sure that I get the car up to operating temperature for a good while on the way to the garage. I would not bother to change the oil in the Spring or start the car in between unless you will be able to get it up to operating temp.

I also pull or at least disconnect the battery, inflate the tires to the max on the sidewall and put in Sta-bil (then do a bit of a drive after that). I also put a tin of desiccant on the floor, the larger ones from Bass Pro are perfect..then they get recharged and go into the gun safes for the Summer.

You will be fine. Nice car BTW.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back