Car oil used as two cycle oil

The manuals for my 1974 OMC sleds give you an option to run motor oil in lieu of 2 stroke oil. They change the ratio from 50:1 to something around 24:1. But if i recall, it was more for emergency use only.

Prior to using needle bearings two strokes used from 16:1 to 24:1. Needle bearings required less oil so the ratio changed from 32:1 then 40:1, 50:1, and up to 100:1 for some synthetics.

Using modern 2 stroke oils doesn't eliminate the need for more oil in 2 strokes using bushings as a bearing surface.

Prior to using needle bearings two strokes used from 16:1 to 24:1. Needle bearings required less oil so the ratio changed from 32:1 then 40:1, 50:1, and up to 100:1 for some synthetics.

Using modern 2 stroke oils doesn't eliminate the need for more oil in 2 strokes using bushings as a bearing surface.
I was just going to mention this.

Both my 2 cycles inject the oil and thus only get the good 2 cycle synthetic stuff

No need to fumigate the neighborhood and have to tear apart sludged equipment

That said, used drain oil if
1. Not contaminated
2. Dewatered / filtered
Would be an interesting energy saver if it didn’t sludge everything

My guess is that used drain oil is better for antique oil burning furnaces and recycling into new oil than any other science experiment

Used drain oil is very high in wear causing contaminates. It's use in diesel (as a fuel or fuel additive) or in two stroke engines (as a lubricant) results in rapid wear.

Fifty years ago 20w and 30w oil was recommended by two stroke engine makers including Lawn Boy. A little later Lawn Boy came out with their own oil that was an improvement but not by much. One of the biggest problems with the xxW and Lawn Boy oil was hard carbon. Hard carbon caused the death of many two stroke engines including Lawn Boy engines from seized rings to scored pistons and cylinders.

Fifty years ago 20w and 30w oil was recommended by two stroke engine makers including Lawn Boy. A little later Lawn Boy came out with their own oil that was an improvement but not by much. One of the biggest problems with the xxW and Lawn Boy oil was hard carbon. Hard carbon caused the death of many two stroke engines including Lawn Boy engines from seized rings to scored pistons and cylinders.
I use a Valvoline universal mix oil for 5$ a qt at Auto-zone.Tcw3 rated oil in everything. It is ashless how can that be bad? I mix at 32: and my 2 OPE that spec 50:1 run on it just fine. Any carbon is softened by occasional doses of MMO and the extra oil ensures cool runnings

Back