Car not selling, junk yard or donate?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: css9450
Originally Posted By: grampi
I've had my Corolla on craigslist for a couple months now and I'm just not getting any bites on it. The engine's got a bad valve, but the rest of the car's in good shape. I have it listed for $500 and it would make someone a good car if they wanted to fix the valve, but I guess no one wants to fix it.

Why not fix it yourself or pay someone to fix it? Its not worth $500 how it is. Isn't this the car that was supposed to last forever?

I don't have the tools to fix it myself and I don't want to spend the money on it to have it fixed...and what car lasts forever?

Put a good photo of the car in the ad, photos are everything on craigslist. Also your ad is way too long for a $500 car - make it clean and simple.

Originally Posted By: tgferg67
Put a good photo of the car in the ad, photos are everything on craigslist. Also your ad is way too long for a $500 car - make it clean and simple.

I think I'm done with the ad...either it's going to a salvage yard, or it's getting donated...I'm tired of it sitting in the driveway...

Definitely add pictures to the ad.

To be honest, If I'm buying something on craigslist, and I don't see pictures on the AD, I disregard it and move on to the next ad.

A year ago, I donated a 2002 Prizm with 156k, hail damage (including cracked paint in a couple of spots), peeling clear coat on the front half of the car, a dead battery, a flat tire, and the MT leaking like a sieve. It sold at auction for $1000.

For some reason, my daughter didn't want it.

Originally Posted By: hypervish
Definitely add pictures to the ad.

To be honest, If I'm buying something on craigslist, and I don't see pictures on the AD, I disregard it and move on to the next ad.
+1 exactly what I do. Get pictures up and it should sell soon.

Also remember to renew the add as much as you can (every 48 hours) as that will put the add back to the top.

Adding keywords will help too.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NateDN10
You may know this, but you really need to re-post your ad on Craigslist every week at a minimum, or it'll be buried by newer posts. Just renewing the existing post isn't enough.

Renewing the existing add is all you have to do.(after 30 days you can't renew the add any more so then you should re-post)
Quote from craigslist:
Quote:
Free classified posts on craigslist can be renewed. Renewing a post will move that post to the top of the list.

Unless the car is completely rusted out, I'm very interested. I've been wanting a manual to teach the wife on, and brush up on a little myself, before our next car purchase. This seems to fit the bill. If I were to pick it up, it would have to be after the new year. Not sure if you want it gone by then or not.

Last edited:
Take it to CarMax! Bring your title and ID, and the whole deal will be done in less than an hour.

West Carrollton location.

Dayton
3555 Miamisburg-Centerville Road
West Carrollton, Ohio 45449

Originally Posted By: MaximusD
Unless the car is completely rusted out, I'm very interested. I've been wanting a manual to teach the wife on, and brush up on a little myself, before our next car purchase. This seems to fit the bill. If I were to pick it up, it would have to be after the new year. Not sure if you want it gone by then or not.

It's been for sale for 2 months now, another week and half isn't gonna matter. Give me a call or text me at 937-620-2141.

I don't agree. If I have a running '99 Corolla recently wrecked and I SEE A PICTURE OF ONE ON CraigsList that's driveable for $500 I'd be very interested.

grampi, if you don't want to put a picture in the ad you really don't want to sell this car. In this kind of situation one must ask oneself: "Would I be interested in even investigating buying this (WHATEVER!) if the seller doesn't even care to put a picture of it in the ad?"

Maybe a pry bar or an anvil... "Is the handle on that axe broken?"

Cheers!

Originally Posted By: Vikas
I thought that car was actually running on 3-cylinder i.e. drivable on highway.

It is...

Originally Posted By: Norm Olt
I don't agree. If I have a running '99 Corolla recently wrecked and I SEE A PICTURE OF ONE ON CraigsList that's driveable for $500 I'd be very interested.

grampi, if you don't want to put a picture in the ad you really don't want to sell this car. In this kind of situation one must ask oneself: "Would I be interested in even investigating buying this (WHATEVER!) if the seller doesn't even care to put a picture of it in the ad?"

Maybe a pry bar or an anvil... "Is the handle on that axe broken?"

Cheers!

I look at it this way...if I was interested enough in a vehicle that has 300K and the seller is volunteering info that the engine is bad, whether a pic of it is posted or not isn't going to sway my decision one way or another...

Add at least one picture. Or else any email you get will be "can you send a pic". Save time/hassle and get WAY more interest with a pic. A lot of people will search and exclude ads w/o pics. Why limit your exposure for no reason?

When I buy cars for $500 I expect two of three things to be good: powertrain, interior, exterior/frame/rust. If you were marketing to me a pic would help. Maybe someone wants to weld your rear half to his front half, and you have the right color beige so he won't have to repaint.

I don't think the ad is too long. It says "car owned by car guy" and if I made a trip to see it I'd find it as advertised. Hate dealing with fumblethumbs who "forget" what the mechanic says, can't find the title, etc. This ad is full of positivity that it'd be a smooth transaction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back