Car not selling, junk yard or donate?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had my Corolla on craigslist for a couple months now and I'm just not getting any bites on it. The engine's got a bad valve, but the rest of the car's in good shape. I have it listed for $500 and it would make someone a good car if they wanted to fix the valve, but I guess no one wants to fix it. I wonder if I could get a couple hundred $$$ from a salvage yard? If they won't give me anything, I guess I could donate it.

There's an ad or two in the local paper, offering $200-250 for scrap cars. So, I'm guessing if you drove it to the junkyard you'd get about that, probably a bit more (since the ad's are by middlemen looking to make a buck).

I'd relist at $50 off. Wait a week-two weeks, relist at another $50 off.

Most places that want donations prefer them in running order or in need of only minor repairs. You might consider giving it to a local tech school for the students to work on.

Where on CL do you have it listed?

When selling things on Craigslist, I will sometimes take down the listing and move it to another area. I've had things I've tried to sell in one area and got nothing, and then sold it in another area after a week. The towns may be only 20 minutes from each other, but it helps to reach a different crowd of people.

Also make sure you use good keywords in your title. After I post something I will do a search the next day to see if my ad pops up when I search different keywords. Its hard to find a buyer if your ad doesn't come up in a search.

Why not try eBay with a low start price and no reserve.

That is what people do with cheap non runners in the UK.

Cheap cars never fail to sell on eBay, even if you do only get $100. At least of will be gone at no cost to you.

The price you achieve may also surprise you.

If it's running and at least somewhat drivable about any charity will take it, most sell them at local auction and take whatever they can get...

Originally Posted By: bigjl
Why not try eBay with a low start price and no reserve.

That is what people do with cheap non runners in the UK.

Cheap cars never fail to sell on eBay, even if you do only get $100. At least of will be gone at no cost to you.

The price you achieve may also surprise you.

I wouldn't say that, can likely get more from the local scrap dealer and it's gone with a drive to the yard...

You may know this, but you really need to re-post your ad on Craigslist every week at a minimum, or it'll be buried by newer posts. Just renewing the existing post isn't enough. Jeepman's suggestion sounds good too.

If its appearance is OK, take a pic and put out an ad flyer at the local food store, auto parts store, or where ever lots of people will see it. Also, park it somewhere in public with a "for sale" sign, and $450 painted across the windshield. For that price it WILL sale.

Why dont you part it out, Corrollas are in such high demand;)

No one wants to buy a car with a bad engine, regardless of the price and typical Toy ownes ussually have no clue how to perform a major service/repair.

Up my way the Corrollas come into the yard all the time, you can get 200/ton for scrap so your looking at a couple of C-notes plus you could sell some parts from it before you scrap it.

For $500 it should sell. I wouldn't take less. I drove my pickup to the junkyard last week and at 3600 lbs got $280.

Make whoever buys it fill out their name on the title. You don't want someone getting it, claiming it just needs a tuneup, selling it to some 3rd party, then having that party find your name on the title and giving you grief in a month.

Is this the one with 290k miles? That might be a turn off for some. Still, if the body's good, someone might part it out and graft its stuff onto something lower mileage.

its the end of the year, donate it to a local tech or highschool or 1877KARS4Kids and collect on the tax deduction in a month!

this would be a fun rebuild project for those who want to learn how to wrench on cars. $500 is cheap and look at all the recent work done!

Originally Posted By: grampi
I've had my Corolla on craigslist for a couple months now and I'm just not getting any bites on it. The engine's got a bad valve, but the rest of the car's in good shape. I have it listed for $500 and it would make someone a good car if they wanted to fix the valve, but I guess no one wants to fix it.

Why not fix it yourself or pay someone to fix it? Its not worth $500 how it is. Isn't this the car that was supposed to last forever?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back