Car & Driver - winter tire test

Status
Not open for further replies.
The C&D committed winter tire test. It is a little narrow as it tests ice and snow performance (no dry or wet to be found) but they did stopping, acceleration and handling tests.

Looser - Michelin Pilot Sport A/S ;-)

When they post it on the web I will add the link. For now it is in print.

Krzys

Originally Posted By: krzyss
Looser - Michelin Pilot Sport A/S ;-)

Since when is that a winter tire?
smile.gif

They took as as reference point as predictable looser.
Winners are in virtual tie:
Hakkapeliitta R2 and Michelin Xice Xi-3.

3rd is new Continental WinterContact Si.

I would call it a looser: 4th place - Bridgestone Blizzak WS80.
If you can afford Blizzak - buy Michelin or save money and buy Continental. Sorry.

Then Dunlop Winter Maxx, Yokohama iceGUARD iG52c and mentioned earlier all season Michelin that is known to suck in winter.

Krzys

Krzys

I can't agree more on all season Michelin performing badly in winter.... had that on my 2013 Camry XLE from factory, man I hated those tires.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Too bad they did not test General Altimax Arctic. I'd be curious where it would place.

CR test puts it in 7th behind:
Xi3
Hakka R2
Blizzak WS80
Cooper WSC
Toyo G3-ice
Conti Si

Those Michelin XI-3's are what, 5-6 years old? Michelin made a rocking design and has been printing money with that tire for a while now. I guess if it's not broken, don't fix it.

Originally Posted By: buck91
What about the Michelin pilot alpin?

I have them on my Caddy, they suck.

Thats not good news! I got a killer deal on some used one that will be on the Mustang for a commute of 140 miles round trip (virtually all interstate, though).

I ran the xi-2 on a Mustang about 5 years ago and they were absolutely spectacular. Figured the alpins might not do as well in the heavy stuff but I would still expect an overall good tire from Michelin. Actually, I ran the ipike w409 from Hankook before and was VERY please, also. Those did give up a little dry pavement manners for snow traction but not unreasonably.

Last edited:
What about the Michelin pilot alpin?

#1 in CR, and the only recommended in the performance winter category.

Thats not good news! I got a killer deal on some used one that will be on the Mustang for a commute of 140 miles round trip (virtually all interstate, though).

I ran the xi-2 on a Mustang about 5 years ago and they were absolutely spectacular. Figured the alpins might not do as well in the heavy stuff but I would still expect an overall good tire from Michelin. Actually, I ran the ipike w409 from Hankook before and was VERY please, also. Those did give up a little dry pavement manners for snow traction but not unreasonably.

The iPikes have been my favorite snow tires, I've gone through 3 sets on other cars. I have owned a few different brands. I still have not had a set of Blizzaks though (one day). I got a great deal on my Alpin's used too, on CTS-V wheels already. I didn't check reviews because Michelin made them. After I drove from Philadelphia to New Hampshire while it was snowing I was a bit mad and starting researching.

Alpins are not a snow tire, but rather a "winter" tire for performance cars. They can handle some snow but are designed to be a well rounded tire in cold weather. Compared to a real snow tire, the rubber is harder and sidewall stiffer. I think this tire exists because people complain about handling loss with real snow tires. You know, since we're railing curves and doing 150 mph when it's 20 degrees out.

I left mine on the car all year to burn them up quicker, they handle and bite like a regular season in warm weather. Oh, but I have not owned a tire that stuck like these do in the rain.

Originally Posted By: Shark
.Alpins are not a snow tire, but rather a "winter" tire for performance cars..
Ditto for the Goodyear Eagle GW3, a V speed rated tire snow tire for pete's sake! I had a pair a while back. Good overall. Popular with police vehicles in cold climates. Not mentioned in this thread yet but a good choice.

goodyear-eagle-ultra-grip-gw-3_2.jpg

Originally Posted By: lubricatosaurus
Originally Posted By: Shark
.Alpins are not a snow tire, but rather a "winter" tire for performance cars..
Ditto for the Goodyear Eagle GW3, a V speed rated tire snow tire for pete's sake! I had a pair a while back. Good overall. Popular with police vehicles in cold climates. Not mentioned in this thread yet but a good choice.

goodyear-eagle-ultra-grip-gw-3_2.jpg

That tire now comes as GY Ultra Grip SUV
Top 3 on ADAC pick!

Performance winters are good choice if you can avoid the worst stuff. They beat studless (C&D tested this class only) in wet and dry - slush probably too as it is similar to water.
I read somewhere that peformance winters are all seasons that went through winter boot camp. It is quite decent description.

All weather tires from Nokian, Hankook and Toyo are quite similar to performance winter.

Now about 150mph on winter tires. That is legal in Germany so why not make tires than can do this? - in dry of course.

Krzys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back