Car & Driver 10 best oils. Do you agree?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The article itself is for the supercar/hotrod-boner crowd and has little bearing on the vast majority of real world drivers. But I'd love to hear how a 0W-20 that pours at -42F is somehow better than the many that flow at -48/-50/-54F. And are vastly more easily and cheaply bought...

Originally Posted by Eddie
Why would you rate oils that don't meet manufactures requirements in the US & Canada? Ed

Good question. I think it would be better to make a realistic list that most people would find useful. Here is my idea:

Top 3 oils:
#3. Oil that is not overpriced.
#2. Oil with #1. The oil recommended in the OM.

Originally Posted by Eddie
Why would you rate oils that don't meet manufactures requirements in the US & Canada? Ed

I think all they did was grab their service slips from their long term test mules and took some names.

Originally Posted by Patman
Originally Posted by philipp10

I'm not going to disagree that tires get old. But tell me this....when was the last time you heard of a tire blowout causing an accident. It happens....but compared to the occurrence of some teen girl texting and rear ending me....its small percentages.

It might be a small percentage, but just because Max wants to bury his head in the sand and pretend that his ancient tires are just as safe as newer ones doesn't make it true. I still think it's ridiculous to ignore the experts and take chances like that. For what reason, to save a few bucks? Getting new tires is a regular part of car maintenance, for a lot of people it happens every 4 or 5 years so they don't even hit that 7 year mark. But how cheap do you have to be that you think that going 7, 8, 9, 10 years on the same set of tires is ok? Tires for most cars aren't even that expensive, I changed both the Civic and BMW tires last year, with Sailun all weather tires and the Civic was under $400 installed (with tax) and the BMW was around $600. I'm just shaking my head here, I can't fathom the logic of trying to save money on a part of the car that is so vital for safety. I sure hope that decision doesn't lead to an accident....

agree. But with one caveat. It's not just time but exposure. In Arizona in the sun is different than Minnesota and garage kept. I personally inspect and if I see signs of aging, I know it's time.

^^^ True, my wife once had a set of tires that were only about 3 years old but the sidewalls on all 4 tires started developing hairline cracks in them. I replaced them all even though the tread still had at least 50% life left.

They're beginning to jump the shark on car reviews as it is. They've not gone down as bad as Popular Mechanics did, but I don't need 8 issues out of 12 devoted to Vette reviews.

Originally Posted by Garak
They're beginning to jump the shark on car reviews as it is. They've not gone down as bad as Popular Mechanics did, but I don't need 8 issues out of 12 devoted to Vette reviews.

It this all Popular Mechanics devoted to the Vette. No wonder it's going down the toliet.

I like the Vette as much as the next guy, but I don't need 3/4 of the year devoted to cover stories on it. As I've mentioned before, PM moved all their How-Tos online and don't bother in the magazine, which was the main point of my subscription. Their product reviews have turned into infomercials, so that doomed the subscription.

I expect C&D to always have reviews to be a mixture of maybe one car I like, a bunch I dislike, and others I can never afford. That's the car market, after all. I don't need a Vette on every cover, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back