Car buying strategy

So now seems like about the worst time imaginable to be car shopping. Question is: when will it get better? Yes I know, no one has a crystal ball. But what I mean is, if one is going to need to buy in a year or so... is anything gained by waiting a year? With the reports that new car production might not recover for 2 more years, and no good cars to be had in the meantime (for reasonable price), is there really any sense in holding off?

Or if the economy really does slide downward, do we think the used car market will somehow recover? Prices level off (or drop) and quality units show up for reasonable prices (meaning depreciated appropriately).

[I'm not sure I will "need" another car next year ("need" always is something hard to properly justify) but I'm wondering if I will be in worse shape if I continue to wait until I really do "need" another car. Sure seems like, rather than waiting until it's needed, if one can expect to need a car in the next year or two, now might be the better time to obtain it.]

Pure speculation I realize.

I bought a new Subaru 4 months ago and was able to get the color and model I wanted. Some dealers have more availability than others bc they sell more cars.

I'll tell you why & when I buy a car.
1) end of year (Dec) people are not thinking about buying cars with Xmas around the corner.
Also at this time you have month-end quota & incentives + the same for year's end.
2) Jan & Feb as people are reeling from Xmas bills etc and care sales are very slow.
Parts of Nbr 1 apply here too.

It depends on what you're buying and how much that vehicle is normally discounted in pre-covid times.

For example, if you were buying a RAV4 hybrid in 2020, you probably paid 2k under MSRP at best. If you find someone selling at MSRP today, it isn't exactly a terrible deal.

I hate the thought of it, but IMO the normal we knew is a thing of the past. Disturbingly, the price of fuel, the state of the economy and the price of vehicles isn't slowing down sales. The dealers who survived are loving the supply/demand situation. Repair shops are busy as well, for those hanging on to what they've got.

Like @Pelican stated, I used to love buying a new to me vehicle right around Christmas. The sales staff would literally be sitting around playing euchre. I got some great trade in allowances and great discounts on vehicles that way. You are not going to find that today.

These days, dealers staff accordingly and the sales staff is just there to keep the paperwork and process moving. They basically have nothing to do with the sale.

I was at Toyota dealer yesterday,qouted me 33k out the door for Corolla LE Hybrid,another one RAV4 Hybrid at 45k out the door,on my computation they add 7k easy. Went home got one free bottle water offered by my salesman and print out ,oh I have to wait 3-4 weeks if I put 1k deposit,just sharing.

Why worry about something you have no control over?
Because I like to plan ahead? I try not to fly too much on hope and a prayer. How does the saying go? failure to plan is a plan for failure.

Next year with any luck I will have a second teen driver in the family. Where we live there is no riding a bike to work: maybe 5 employment opportunities within 5 or so miles. As you might guess, zero public transportation options. We're going to push the oldest into community college (we hope!) which would have him commuting probably 50-60 miles roundtrip for classes, while living at home. While the youngest has a couple of years of high school plus extracurricular activities. Meanwhile I'm pushing the wife to get full time employment... which will likely be 100 miles roundtrip... and my own commuting is 100 miles roundtrip. [Moving is not an option at this time.]

Next year 4 cars may be too few! most of my fleet is on the tired side. In order to milk the last life out of old cars... you really have to have a spare handy for when goes down. I'm back to my spare car (as I wrecked my main) so...

So like always, I'm weighing options. And, being part of an active discussion board, making sure to cast a wide net for opinions.

So now seems like about the worst time imaginable to be car shopping. Question is: when will it get better? Yes I know, no one has a crystal ball. But what I mean is, if one is going to need to buy in a year or so... is anything gained by waiting a year? With the reports that new car production might not recover for 2 more years, and no good cars to be had in the meantime (for reasonable price), is there really any sense in holding off?

Or if the economy really does slide downward, do we think the used car market will somehow recover? Prices level off (or drop) and quality units show up for reasonable prices (meaning depreciated appropriately).

[I'm not sure I will "need" another car next year ("need" always is something hard to properly justify) but I'm wondering if I will be in worse shape if I continue to wait until I really do "need" another car. Sure seems like, rather than waiting until it's needed, if one can expect to need a car in the next year or two, now might be the better time to obtain it.]

Pure speculation I realize.
Wait.

Salmon swim upstream , not a good strategy for impatient car buyers.

salmon.jpg

Reactions: FZ1
Because I like to plan ahead? I try not to fly too much on hope and a prayer. How does the saying go? failure to plan is a plan for failure.
It's starting to recover for some makes and not for others. As others said, prices might be weaker in the winter. I like to use Cargurus.com and of course the other usual sites like craigslist, facebook marketplace etc. But I just do a 500 mile radius. That's far enough to drive to in one day and not have to fly. Prices aren't that much cheaper even if you do a search nationally.

It depends on what you're buying and how much that vehicle is normally discounted in pre-covid times.

For example, if you were buying a RAV4 hybrid in 2020, you probably paid 2k under MSRP at best. If you find someone selling at MSRP today, it isn't exactly a terrible deal.
We tried to buy a RAV4 hybrid in January 2020. They weren't budging below MSRP on the hybrid but were wheeling and dealing on the non-hybrid RAV4. I think it was about $8000 extra for the hybrid over the regular RAV4 out the door.

It's starting to recover for some makes and not for others. As others said, prices might be weaker in the winter. I like to use Cargurus.com and of course the other usual sites like craigslist, facebook marketplace etc. But I just do a 500 mile radius. That's far enough to drive to in one day and not have to fly. Prices aren't that much cheaper even if you do a search nationally.
This^. To add on - I use AutoTempest website, as they pile all listed websites and more in one spot. Including Craigslist and FB Marketplace. Just makes it easier IMHO...
Screenshot (26).png

This^. To add on - I use AutoTempest website, as they pile all listed websites and more in one spot. Including Craigslist and FB Marketplace. Just makes it easier IMHO...
View attachment 107151
Ah, thanks for the link. Does make that easier.

Dont really want to fly to find the “right” car. But not going to find rust free in NH. Not that I really know what I want, other than maybe something made in this millennium. Or something with a bit more character than a Camry, lol.

I've been seeing a couple of 2007-2009 Camrys for $1700-3000 in ok shape but with 250k miles and "burning oil."

I'd wait if you can, and punt with a clunker if it falls into your lap.

Back