Car buying decision help

Status
Not open for further replies.
I also posted over at t4r.org.

Well I'm in a predicament. A little over a year ago I traded my 2006 4Runner in on a 2013 Subaru Legacy. We were living in the DC area and I was commuting 2 hours a day and a sedan was just more practical.

Fast forward to today and my situation has totally changed. I'm working from home full time and we're looking to relocate to a much more rural part of Virginia. I've missed my 4Runner every single day since I traded it in on the Legacy. Now that I'm not commuting and we're moving I've been thinking about trading in the Legacy for a 2013-2014 SR5.

Question is, is it worth it to take a bath on the Legacy? It only has 12K miles and it's a year old. I'm betting I'll get around 8K less than I paid for it at trade in. Would you do it? Also, is it worth it to get a new 5th gen or should I be looking for a clean 4th gen? I loved the 4th, haven't test driven a 5th yet.

Definitely worth it. My mom used to have a 2002 4runner and I'm still mad at her for trading it in. She's had several small SUVs since then and they do not compare. Gas is better though.

FYI I like the 5th gen before the facelift.

If you really dislike the Subaru that much and long for the 4runner, then I would do the trade. Nothing is worse than enduring a car you don't enjoy driving IMO.
All that assumes that the hit you take on the trade will not affect you financially. If it does then I would such it up and drive the subaru few more years, it's a 2013 model, so it's not like you have to drive a beater to get by.

Originally Posted By: stranger706
Definitely worth it. My mom used to have a 2002 4runner and I'm still mad at her for trading it in. She's had several small SUVs since then and they do not compare. Gas is better though.

FYI I like the 5th gen before the facelift.

I agree, I like the 2013 front clip much better than the 2014.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
If you really dislike the Subaru that much and long for the 4runner, then I would do the trade. Nothing is worse than enduring a car you don't enjoy driving IMO.
All that assumes that the hit you take on the trade will not affect you financially. If it does then I would such it up and drive the subaru few more years, it's a 2013 model, so it's not like you have to drive a beater to get by.

I wouldn't say I dislike the Subaru, I just don't love it like I did the 4Runner. For commuting around the city it truly was a better vehicle but I can't shake wanting a 4Runner again.

Also, we're perfectly fine to do this financially. I just hate losing any amount of money.

If you trade it, you'll save a lot on sales tax (in most states). That can soften the blow if you must trade-in.

Originally Posted By: glock19

Also, we're perfectly fine to do this financially. I just hate losing any amount of money.

Buying new cars isnt' for you my friend

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy

Buying CARS isn't for you my friend

(FTFY)

Originally Posted By: dparm

(FTFY)

I only partially agree with this. Older collectibles can be an investment and increase in price

I only partially agree with this. Older collectibles can be an investment and increase in price

Not if you use it to commute to work!

Originally Posted By: dparm

(FTFY)

It's true. I made a huge mistake getting rid of my 4Runner.

Maybe try to sell you Subaru privately? It's nearly new and if you price it a little below what the dealers advertise for your car, you might limit your loses by a few thousand bucks?

I agree, I like the 2013 front clip much better than the 2014.

To each their own, but I disagree here. The 2014 looks pretty b.a. to me.

I'd think you'd get soaked on trade-in, plus I *think* 2006 is a generation behind the current one. It may not be what you remember it to be.

I thought Subaru's were great in rural areas?

Originally Posted By: supton
I'd think you'd get soaked on trade-in, plus I *think* 2006 is a generation behind the current one. It may not be what you remember it to be.

I thought Subaru's were great in rural areas?

It is a generation behind.

It's not that there is anything wrong with the Subaru, I just want a 4Runner again. The only real downside to the Subaru is space. It's fine for a weekend trip for 2 but anything more than that and it gets pretty cramped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back