Car builder TV shows....

Anyone remember a car builder show that was set in England and then he moved to India (or vis-versa) where he took basic cars and then hand-built bodies on them ? By hand-built, I mean he would take a fender and re-shape it into something else entirely or used scrap metal to make other components. Going to try and Google this for more info because I'm not remembering much more.

Originally Posted by bdcardinal
There is a show on Velocity, Car Fix, that I really enjoyed. I use the past tense because they replace Lou Santiago and Jared Zimmerman as hosts. The 2 new ones make the show unwatchable. Well one of them, Jeremy, was on "Truck Tech" on PowerNation and is good. But the other one has the personality of a rock.

Yeah, we were not happy to see that change but maybe Lou and Jared wanted to do something else. Shame. They looked like they had a lot of fun making the show together. My wife and I have been watching them since MuscleCar.

Bryan Fuller is a legit car and bike builder but his personality is extremely annoying, like they've asked him specifically to turn it up for this show which is beyond lame. He's very talented but I don't think a guy known for custom builds is the right fit for a show like Car Fix. But then again, Jared's background is making custom cars with Rad Rides by Troy which is apparently where he's back now. Lou's doing GarageInsiderTV now.

It took me a while to warm up to Jeremy Bumpus on Truck Tech but he won me over. I like that he's back on TV, I just wish it was on something else.

Looks like Cristy Lee is gone from All Girls Garage. Shame but she was bit less technically inclined than Bogi or Faye and having three hosts was a bit unnecessary anyway. Bogi's solid but Faye really needs to calm down with the valley girl speech infections.

I found Turnin Rust on YouTube and can say it's a down to Earth show no frills but just about the rebuild.

The gal that died from All Girls garage was actually a very able wrench/fabricator. Shame. I do like Bogi, pretty hot for a chubby gal and seemingly competent. Christi Lee and the other one from seasons past, not so much. haven't watched it recently.

Originally Posted by skyactiv
Many of the bike and car custom build shows have one thing in common: They are pressed for time and have a deadline to meet or the world is going to end.

Which is exactly why I don't watch many of these shows anymore. I couldn't stand the 'impossible' time frames and fake drama.

While they may be overly scripted, I've been a longtime viewer of the PowerBlockTV shows since they started a LONG time ago and I miss them being on every weekend.

Probably my favorite car show is Hot Rod Garage with Tony Angelo and Lucky Costa. I'm hoping they continue to make this show together. Thank Xenu for MotorTrend On Demand!

Originally Posted by Malo83
Originally Posted by oldhp
Dave Kindig 4 me. Chip Foose #2
cheers3.gif

Kindig for me also, just can't put up with his stupid side kick manager, guy is an idiot.

Agree. Dave Kindig does some fantastic work (and i like his sidekick). On the flip side, that guy who does MOPAR stuff - there is something wrong with him. He's diagnosable.

Scott

Goblin Works Garage- Ive seen them all and i really think they have a very limited budget. Most of the other shows there is a big budget or a customer that is footing the bill. It doesnt have much going on for it at all.

Bad Chad Customs- alot like Goblin Works..almost exactly like it except this guy is a visionary.. his cars are one off pretty cool rides. He takes pure junk and finds a buyer after he does a heck of alot of work.

Fantomworks- one of my faves but i think its cancelled.

Texas Metal- Everything is on airbags and either dropped or jacked up..but they do some amazing work..entertaining. Bill is very likable.

Roadkill Garage- My favorite show.. They take absolute junk and do burnouts and sometimes drag race.

Vegas Rat Rods- This guy takes JUNK and scrap and makes some very cool cars. I really like most of his stuff.

Misfit Garage- Entertaining.. the cars are kinda cool.

Mobsteel- Based in Detroit.. was cool but probably cancelled.

Counting Cars- Entertaining..he pumps out some cool cars.

Roadkills Junkyard Gold- This guy goes to junkyards and tells you all about the history of cars.. this guy is like a genius.

Diesel Brothers- Guys really want to be like Fast N Loud but im not sure its happening..

Inside West Coast Customs- Not sure what happened to this one..it was cool.

Fast N Loud- entertaining.. Much better now that Aaron has left.

Big Easy Motors- was a fun watch..cancelled i think.

Driven- New show so far i like it.

Junkyard Empire- Guy owns a junkyard..takes wrecked cars and fixes them on the cheap for a profit.. he tries to make cool cars sometimes too. Shoddy work but entertaining.

Chasing Classic Cars- Guilty pleasure.. Wayne is a class act and i enjoy his adventures. Roger the mechanic is always a highlight. I wish he had his own show.

The Grand Tour- awaiting the next one..impatiently

Im probably missing some but i think ive seen or watch most of them. After saying that if i wanted to get a car built for myself. I would have to say that Kindig would get my business. He builds some really Bxtchin Rides.

* Out of all the car shows for entertainment my favorite is vintage Top Gear. Jeremy Clarkson and a crappy car in a far away destination is by far the most entertaining to me.

Agreed. CarFix is no longer something I watch. The other shows are getting less tolerable as well. Why MotorTrendTV needs to mess with their show lineups is beyond me...

I like the Count, something about the dude makes me wanna watch it, plus alot of the builds they try to keep originality to the vehicle.

Some shows I absolutely cannot watch because its literally episode after episode of dropping an LS in an older vehicle

Counts Kustoms does swap engines occasionally, but theres a good mix of them not doing it and rebuilding stock stuff. Which yeah.

I cannot stand the Gas Monkey show or Roadkill. Chip Foose is tolerable, as it takes me back to when I was like 13, I'm 27 so idk takes me back to 2004 ish nostalgia.

Pimp my Ride was more comedic than anything back in the day, MTV is pretty bad now, but mid 00s MTV was a cringeworthy experience.

As boring as it sounds I watch Mecum auctions all the time lol

Here's the guy I referred to above: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leepu_Nizamuddin_Awlia. Looks like the show was Chop Shop: London Garage. Watch it to see how bad the cars are....

Originally Posted by GumbyJarvis
Pimp my Ride was more comedic than anything back in the day, MTV is pretty bad now, but mid 00s MTV was a cringeworthy experience.

You can read all sorts of stories about that show and the vehicles they did. Horror stories about things were absolute junk, the gimmicks they added to cars quickly broke down, they made the "winners" pay for some of the add-ons if they wanted them or otherwise, they put the original parts (wheels and tires, for example) back on before giving it back (but not before everything was filmed).

Originally Posted by Bottom_Feeder
Originally Posted by bdcardinal
There is a show on Velocity, Car Fix, that I really enjoyed. I use the past tense because they replace Lou Santiago and Jared Zimmerman as hosts. The 2 new ones make the show unwatchable. Well one of them, Jeremy, was on "Truck Tech" on PowerNation and is good. But the other one has the personality of a rock.

Yeah, we were not happy to see that change but maybe Lou and Jared wanted to do something else. Shame. They looked like they had a lot of fun making the show together. My wife and I have been watching them since MuscleCar.

Bryan Fuller is a legit car and bike builder but his personality is extremely annoying, like they've asked him specifically to turn it up for this show which is beyond lame. He's very talented but I don't think a guy known for custom builds is the right fit for a show like Car Fix. But then again, Jared's background is making custom cars with Rad Rides by Troy which is apparently where he's back now. Lou's doing GarageInsiderTV now.

It took me a while to warm up to Jeremy Bumpus on Truck Tech but he won me over. I like that he's back on TV, I just wish it was on something else.

Looks like Cristy Lee is gone from All Girls Garage. Shame but she was bit less technically inclined than Bogi or Faye and having three hosts was a bit unnecessary anyway. Bogi's solid but Faye really needs to calm down with the valley girl speech infections.

According to the fan page on Facebook which is run by one of hte original producers, the production company let Lou go and Jared bailed because he didn't like how they treated Lou. Lou has a show called "Garage Insider TV" in production.

Cristy Lee is doing Garage Squad now I think. I think its funny how Faye tries to pull the Valley Girl speech pattern because she is from Texas.

How many of these car shows have a cast member/employee "leave" to start their own shop and a TV show along with it ? I wonder how often these are just part of the script ?

I used to watch many of these years ago until they all became too scripted and the people were way too comfortable with the cameras on them.

Originally Posted by Slick17601
I like Iron Resurrection...Martin Bros Customs.

The things that guy can make from a flat piece of metal is amazing, I don't care for the end results all the time but this and Junk Yard Empire are the only ones I watch all the episodes.

I like Kindig but his side kick ruins it for me.

The death of MTV was when they started those repulsive game shows. I would say MTV officially died in 1987.

GWG -- I just watched a couple of these for the first time; didn't realise the guy on Fifth Gear owned a shop. I'll be kind, and just say that their work doesn't align with my tastes, and in the episode with the Fiat EV conversion, the woman's constant protests got annoying; we got it, you don't like electrics. Also gotta wonder if the prices they charge are real, or they're really good at finding gullible people.

Wheeler Dealers -- much more relatable, and my style. I could do without the painfully staged bits with Mike, and it was better with Edd, though I don't mind Ant. BTW, don't bother with the "Working from Home" episodes with Ant unless you want to hear him blather on for two hours, and show off his home garage. In a similar vein, Salvage Hunters Classic Cars is ok; less technical but I like the subject matter.

Chasing Classic Cars -- I wish I had Wayne's job, and I really like how he has an appreciation for everything, with no hyperbole.

Lately, I've been watching Vintage Voltage. If I had the dough, that's something I'd consider in the future. I think it's a neat idea, as long as such conversions don't result in models with some collectable value or rarity not being preserved.

Originally Posted by Lolvoguy
Originally Posted by Trav
I saw that Supra they did, that was enough for me. Plastic slap on panels with a wrap job, what kind of cheap crap is that. Terrible.

+1

Whatever happened to shows like "Shadetree Mechanic" on TNN with hosts Sam and Dave?

Those were some down to earth, simple folk who know what people want to see and hear.

I loved that show. Nothing fancy, just practical information.

I don't know why the show was taken off the air, maybe it had something to do that Dave did not want to do it anymore only because Sam had come back shortly after with his own show and a younger man. A few years later I read Dave died. So maybe he was given the news he was not in good health.

Back