Car Buffer (harbor freight?) and a good wax?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ive got 3 cars that need waxing and no elbow grease left. I'm thinking about getting a buffer mostly for removal of the wax. I've always used the OD green turtle wax in the tub. It works fine and the water seems to bead for 6 mos or so. But if there's something better I can get at target for about the same price, what is it?

Also, what buffer do you recommend? Harbor freight has a 7 inche for $17 and a 10 inch for $25. Any reason not to get either of those for 3-6 waxes per year? A similar craftsman one at sears is about $40-50. I really dont want to spend too much more than that.

Also, is 10" necessary or would a 7" buffer be fine? (hahaha no jokes needed
wink.gif
Im thinking the 7" is easier to maneuver?

Last edited:
Skip the cheap buffer and buy a wax that is easier to apply. Mothers FX SynWax in liquid form might be hard to find, but it is very, very easy to apply and remove after the fact.

Green Turtle Wax in the tub? Your arms must look like Popeye's.

If you get the Chicago Rotary, it is OK to learn on. The RPMs sink way low if you put any pressure on it at all, but it is a good learning tool.

My tip would be to look at alot of buffing DIY Youtube videos before you attempt a buffer on a paint you would cry if you messed up on.

Honestly, I wouldn't waster my money on a buffer for $25. Buffers in general are for applying the polish not removing it. Trying to remove wax with a buffer is like putting butter on your toast with a fork. If you want to do it right, ante up the money and get a Porter Cable 7424XP along with pads etc, if not just do it by hand.

Plus 1 on Mothers FX SynWax, also very good is MeGuiar's NX2. Also heir Quick Detailer.

Regarding the inexpensive (not cheap) buffer, I have one of the 7 inch ones and have used it for 3 or 4 years now with no problem. Would I buy one if I owned a detal shop, NO!. However for a homeowner with occasional use they work fine without a great expense.

Use your money to buy a better wax, and go from there.

What you need is Turtle Wax Ice Liquid Polish, which requires almost no effort to apply and remove. It's liquid to start with, and has no abrasives, so no buffing. You just apply it evenly with the included sponge pad, wait 5-8 minutes and then wipe it off with a microfiber.

The Ice Paste looks even better but requires a bit more effort to apply. Removing it is very easy if you spray it with Ice QD spray, and use an MF towel to wipe it off. The QD spray seems to "set" the ICE paste wax, making it easy for the MF towel to pick it up.

As for the cheap buffer, they are ok for applying cleaner waxes and polishes. The combo of KIT scratch out ($5/14oz at Autozone) and TW Ice works wonders. The KIT scratch out is a very mild polishing compound that removes dullness from the paint, creating a smooth surface for the ICE to interact with.

My main concern with that 7" high speed polisher is the pad size is pretty big, making it difficult to polish in challenging areas of your car(s). That's when things can be damaged.

Although buffers like the 10" orbital are more a toy than a serious tool, they are safe to use and will do the job better than polishing by hand. Buy some extra bonnets and use a good cleaner wax (not the Turtle Wax yuck you've been using) and you'll be good to go.

Bust out a 20 and buy some microfiber towels. The buffer will apply a thin coat of wax so removing it by hand with microfiber will be a breeze. Both Walmart and Target have a good selection of microfibers.

The Turtle Wax Ice is good stuff, unless you can't/don't/won't read the instructions on how to use it.

What makes Ice tick is that it is pure clear wax, has plenty of silicones, and has no abrasives. As a result it is very easy to apply, does not stain rubber/plastic (infact it does a great job of "dressing" them) and does not clutter up the car with wax residue in every crack and crevice.

The downside(?) is that its a little confusing the first time you use it if you are used to traditional waxes. You can't see where you applied it, and the liquid polish doesn't dry/haze like normal waxes do. It also depends on the microfiber cloth to remove it and leave behind a level film of wax.

The trick to getting really amazing results is to first clean up the paint with a very soft polishing compound (e.g KIT scratch out) and then use the Ice polish afterwards.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1588459

I ended up getting a craftsman 10" polisher on black friday for half price, $27.50. I used it today on my newest car, an 09 pontiac. I applied meguiars nxt 2.0 in the bottle by hand, then buffed it off with a terry bonnet (included). it seemed to do fine. Im not a perfectionist, just need the car to not shed paint in 5-10 years. Ive always used TW paste in the past and never had a car shed paint like some ive seen. I might need to get a cleaner wax, as im not the greatest at getting love bugs off during the wash
frown.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HARTZSKY
Honestly, I wouldn't waster my money on a buffer for $25. Buffers in general are for applying the polish not removing it. Trying to remove wax with a buffer is like putting butter on your toast with a fork. If you want to do it right, ante up the money and get a Porter Cable 7424XP along with pads etc, if not just do it by hand.

Agree and have one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back