Car broken in to, nothing taken. Any thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
this happens fairly regularly in my neighborhood if you don't lock your car doors, junkies and hobos check cars for unlocked doors to take random stuff, the 3 times I didn't lock my car 3 times it was rummaged, they were probably looking for something you didn't have. The worst was a pair of Oakley sunglasses I had in my door pocket.

Get a new garage remote and clear all existing remotes if you feel that they may have cloned it.

Originally Posted By: Starman2112
Probably looking for a gun.

That would be my guess too.

Also, are you sure there is no sign of forced entry?

Criminals need their hands chopped off.
Too many pro criminal politicians making the laws.

I think you have it right.
This was an addict looking for an easy score who got scared off, maybe by some boisterous burly guy leaving the party across the street. A gun is always a good find, since a gun that may be on paper to another owner has considerable street value to some released felons.
The identity theft or code theft angles seem a little far-fetched.
If anyone wanted to obtain enough personal information to obtain credit in another's name, there are easier ways to do it than to break into a vehicle in the hopes that you'd find enough information. There are also safer and easier places to do a break-in than someone's driveway. Mall parking lots and especially parking garages come to mind. Yeah, they have cameras but the video is typically of such low quality that you can't ID anyone and one can easily escape visual ID by wearing a billed cap pulled low so that one's face is shadowed. Even if there's a good shot of the perp's face, unless someone who happens to know him IDs him, that picture is of little value.
The code theft thing is a little silly. It isn't that hard to lift an unlocked garage door against the opener. Try it yourself just to see.

xUimt4M.png

Its that time of the years when bozos go Christmas shopping and leave merchandise they bought in car for all to see. Crooks troll shopping malls for easy targets.

Maybe with the OP they were looking for a gun to steal.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
xUimt4M.png

Hate locking my stuff, makes it harder for someone to get in and legitimately borrow or leave something. I lock when shopping but usually don't at work or home.

+1
I never lock my cars at home and often don't at work either.
There isn't much to steal anyway.
My money, personal IDs and plastic are in my wallet in my pocket.
I don't carry a handgun and never will.
If someone really wants in, I'd just as soon that they open a door as break out a window, which can be done silently with a spring-loaded center punch available from any decent hardware store.

I was kind of wondering if it might have been something like someone just testing to see which cars opened. Still puzzled they left the cash.

The garage door opener being cloned is exactly what I worry about. Hate to come home someday and find the garage open and house ransacked. We changed the entry code but I don't know if that actually alters the remote code. Been reading the Genie FAQs to see if they can be compromised in this manner.

In that compartment with the remote control, she had $27 (20, 5, and two 1's). It would be so easy to just toss it in your pocket. We could never prove that it was our money.

Fortunately she doesn't leave any credit cards, IDs, spare keys, or phones in her car overnight. The only things would be vehicle registration and insurance ID card. And the garage remote. Thanks for the discussion. I changed to garage door code and now trying to look at any other weaknesses. Oh, and the glove box did not appear to be disturbed so I don't know if they got to the vehicle registration form.

I unplugged it until I knew for sure whether the remotes can be reprogrammed.

Thanks. It's frozen with a "Credit Watch" after my PII (Personal Identifier Information) was compromised when a military laptop was stolen a couple years back.

No windows broken. No locks punched out. I even looked at the window weather stripping to see if a Slim Jim might have been used. I didn't see anything.

Originally Posted By: RW1
In that compartment with the remote control, she had $27 (20, 5, and two 1's). It would be so easy to just toss it in your pocket. We could never prove that it was our money.

But without some good lighting (which could make them visible to others) they may have missed it, unless it was plain to see. Nothing says that these people are the smartest, especially if they're rummaging for drug money.

[font:Arial Black][/font]
Originally Posted By: RW1
No windows broken. No locks punched out. I even looked at the window weather stripping to see if a Slim Jim might have been used. I didn't see anything.

Jason Bourne is after you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back