Car about to sit for 11 days, fear of damage

I have to go out-of-town for 11 days for work training, and I’m leaving my Camry parked at an airport parking garage. I don’t think I’ve ever let my car sit for longer than 4 days without being driven since I’ve gotten it. That being said, I’m worried rodents may get in the engine bay and chew away at my wiring harnesses.

I’m curious if there’s any way I can deter rodents from my car
A few bags of moth balls under the hood and in the car. Bring a ziplock bag to put them in after until next time. Air car out. Not good to inhale.

Park far away from any garbage cans or dumpsters.

If possible park between a Porsche and a Ferrari.

Cat? With 11 days of food and huge litter box?

around here most airport parking is on a gravel surface. especially the economy lots. AKA $5 a day.

Back in the 1970s I owned a semi truck and ran the 50 states, sometimes it would be two months before I got home. I had a Porsche 911 at the time and sitting for up to two ,months at a time never seemed to hurt it and it ran great when I sold it.
Wow almost exactly one year necro

Wow almost exactly one year necro
Screenshot_20231222-205606_Firefox.jpg
Screenshot_20231222-205553_Firefox.jpg

I'm not understanding what you mean.

You can let a car sit for like a month before anything happens. The battery will die before the mice move in, unless you have an extreme shortage of rodent housing

Any airport shuttle service in you area? I do this all the time. It's convenient and is cheaper than paying parking fees by @ day. If you intend to bring your vehicle, ask a person or people who park in that area what they have experienced, rodents, break-ins, robberies, crime etc ???
That's what I do. Drive to a storage lot and Uber to the airport.
Uber from the house would be ~$150

Around Thanksgiving, I accidentally hit the overhead dome light with my suitcase as I was getting out of the car,
I didn't notice it turned the dome light on. Boston Logan central parking garage on an outdoor upper level - it was PACKED.

Came back week later, car was not boxed in, but my key fob didn't open the door. Car was dead. It was a stick, so I tried to push start it. All of the sudden Massport security showed up about 20 ft away and shouted at me to step away from the car - with a hand on their holstered firearm. I said I couldn't let it go, it would crash - then I shouted, "I am reaching in and pulling on the E brake!"

Police action ensued, but after, they called garage towing, and they gave me a jump.

No thoughts of rats. Plenty of other warm vehicles for them to pick, just don't park near a stairwell(?) - however inviting that might be :)

Good luck on the training! I did a week stint in Columbia, MD for contractor job training about 13 years ago, Crazy Traffic but I was introduced to a local Harris Teeter's and their deli and buffet for my lunch - that included bar-b- Q. Oh yeah that's what I'm talkin' about! Better than Piggly Wiggly for sure.
- Ken

Necro = commenting on a "dead" thread and resurrecting it. OP's vacation was last year.
I frequent another automotive forum and lots of people would get on you if you opened a thread on a topic that had been covered. You would get 20 replies with 'Use he search". I would rather bump an old thread of I have a variant or addition to the question already discussed. I didn't know that was verboten here, I thought it would make life easier?

Now back on topic - seems from the OP that there concern was mice. Modern cars use more renewable / plant based insulation and plastics which seems to be a real issue for some - thousands in repairs due to mice. Our old junk uses stuff made from crude oil and rubber, not as tasty to mice apparently. One more benefit of owning a older car.

Back