car 10w-40 for motorcycle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i know of the diesel oils,anyone using or recommend a car 10w-40 that performs well in a wet clutch motorcycle engine? seen good deals on quakerstate,tropartic..some of the others are still fairly cheap...for now anyway.

i have not used any car oil in a bike for several years..just asking...might try the diesel rated stuff..

about the only alternative I can think of that would run as good or better than a 10w-40 would be Rotella Synthetic 5w-40. I know alot of sport-bikers use it..

Just about every sort of motorcycling group is using RTS these days, not just sportbikers. It's a very robust oil at a very economical price at American Wal-marts. It's a Grp. lll (if that concerns you) but considering that wet clutch applications likely beat down just about all oils in relatively short order, I see no advantage to going to a higher quality oil. I built up a decent supply of both RTS and Delvac 1 (super-cheap during a Wal-mart clearance!) so I shall be using that for a while. Once that is consumed, I am serioulsy considering getting bulk Delo 15W-40 from a local Peterbilt dealership. I can get it at $1.50 per litre. The forty-weight XD-3 works as well, though it would be more expensive at around $3.50 per litre at the Esso bulk dealer.

John.

I do what John and Master ACiD do. I simply don't think synthetic with long OCI's is the smartest strategy in a wet-clutch bike application. And, if I'm going to change it pretty quickly anyway, I think a good HDEO does just fine. Cheap, too!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back