Can't remove rusted and broken c-ring front wheel bearing retainer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rav4 2nd gen.

I'm trying to remove the c-ring retainer for the front wheel bearing.

I can't get it out it's rusted badly.

The c-ring removal ends broke off as I tried to use snap ring pliers to contract it.

I can't even move the c-ring.

Lubed it with penetrating fluid throughout and wired brushed it.

Hit it with a chisel all around. Torched it.

I tried drilling it from a couple of sides to see if I can get some leverage. It just won't move, looks like the rust is in deep in the groove.

I have the steering knuckle off.

I have a bearing removal tool for this but not a press, I need the c-ring out before I can pull the bearing (or whatever is left of it).

Any ideas? Thank you

Last edited:
It's going to be tough if it's really rusted that badly. I've had some luck with an acetylene torch and just melting the ring down as much as I can, then force the bearing through what's left and then cleaning out the groove afterwards. Only problem is you don't have a press. Short of that, you may be looking at saving the headache and just ordering a used knuckle that's in better shape. Or, you could try bringing it to a local shop and paying them to tackle it.

Originally Posted by 14Accent
It's going to be tough if it's really rusted that badly. I've had some luck with an acetylene torch and just melting the ring down as much as I can, then force the bearing through what's left and then cleaning out the groove afterwards. Only problem is you don't have a press. Short of that, you may be looking at saving the headache and just ordering a used knuckle that's in better shape. Or, you could try bringing it to a local shop and paying them to tackle it.

Thanks.

I'm going to try and grind this c-ring out tomorrow with a dremel tool.

I should be able to get deeper in the groove and hopefully it loosens it to the point I can take it out piece by piece.
I'll update on whether that works.

Last edited:
Grind the tip of a screwdriver down until it bottoms out in the groove and tap it with a hammer Safety goggles are in order.

Originally Posted by andyd
Grind the tip of a screwdriver down until it bottoms out in the groove and tap it with a hammer Safety goggles are in order.

Thanks. That seems like a great idea. Will try.

What type of snap ring pliers did you use? I had to buy channel locks since the cheap crap from princess auto was useless.

I would try to cut small grooves into the snap ring and use a flat screw driver to pry the clip from the bearing.

I think you will need to visit the stealership Monday to buy a new snap ring any way.

Wheel bearings on Toyota's in the rust belt are no fun if you don't have the right tools.

You can hammer out the bearing with a sledge hammer and using one of the adapters or a large socket. It will take time, I actually bruised the palm of my hand hammering it.

Put the new bearing in the freezer right up until you want to install it. It will be a bit smaller. I bought the press at Princess auto and only used it twice to do wheel bearings.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by andyd

No, that did not work unfortunately. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JC1
What type of snap ring pliers did you use? I had to buy channel locks since the cheap crap from princess auto was useless.

I would try to cut small grooves into the snap ring and use a flat screw driver to pry the clip from the bearing.

I think you will need to visit the stealership Monday to buy a new snap ring any way.

Wheel bearings on Toyota's in the rust belt are no fun if you don't have the right tools.

You can hammer out the bearing with a sledge hammer and using one of the adapters or a large socket. It will take time, I actually bruised the palm of my hand hammering it.

Put the new bearing in the freezer right up until you want to install it. It will be a bit smaller. I bought the press at Princess auto and only used it twice to do wheel bearings.

Thanks. I already have the new snap ring/c-clip.

Unless it will require some insane torque, I think the bearing removal and install kit should work just fine in conjunction with my electric impact gun. I've used it on GM's before without the need for a press.

I think the dremel tool is the only main tool I really need now as it can make these precision cuts in tight places.

I'll use that to make those small grooves and pry it out.

Thanks again.

Torch or phosphoric acid to eat into the rust just enough to free it for chisel removal.

You can also try putting the whole thing in a freezer to get it cold, then the rapid heating with a torch is more likely to break the rust bonds before the whole thing gets silly hot.

Originally Posted by 14Accent
It's going to be tough if it's really rusted that badly... Short of that, you may be looking at saving the headache and just ordering a used knuckle that's in better shape.

^^^agreed

Sounds like you've tried just about everything!

With the end broken off its going to be tough, heat the area good with a torch the take a can of air and turn it upside down and spray only the snap ring, that should break the bond.

I had a couple of those before, heat with a torch if you have it, otherwise a MAPP gas torch and as Trav suggested hit it with the cool liquid air can trick. I used a heavy duty larger 90 deg. "pick" from Menards and ground the tip ever so slightly so the sharpe tip would not dig into the knuckle housing in the groove, but rather go under the clip as I hammered it under. It popped up enough to get a scewdriver under it and she went twanging across the room. I used the 90 deg pick on this set.

https://www.menards.com/main/tools-....htm?tid=7707898561953592097&ipos=21

One simple thing I didn't try yet is a pick/hook.

I managed to loosen up one end of the c-clip by taking a small drill bit and drilling it in between the clip and the groove.

Now with a pick I should be able to extend it enough to grab one side and pull the whole thing out.

But that's the least of my concerns.

The steering knuckle was rusted out so bad, now I have to change the ABS sensor (broke off even after doing everything for it not to), also the brake dust shield evaporated into dust with the heads of the screws rusted I had no choice but to drill out the screws.

Ordered new ABS sensor.
Ordered new brake dust shield.
for both sides.
still need to re thread the holes for the brake dust shield.
Hat to cut off the ball joint.

already wire brushed the steering knuckle and going to put a coat of Tremclad on all the front end components.

on the bright side, when I'm finished I will have a whole new front end
smile.gif

Last edited:
Just to update, I got the c-clip/ring out by using air chisel hammer very easily.

Once it was loose and was able to spin around it freely it provided a gap to remove it with a flat head.

Nothing else worked for me as it was rusted in really badly.

Hope that helps anyone in the same situation.

Also, I have a very small air compressor but it charges up tot 150psi. It's more than enough for the air chisel hammer to do the job.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back