Cant hand tighten filter

Have anyone tightened oil filters with 3 jaw oil filter wrench? I wont over tighten it but i want to make sure i dont damage the oil can.

I suppose you could try it and see if it crushes the can at all. A cap style or strap style wrench (Google them) might be a bit safer (more surface contact) if you have access to use them. Filters that have the indentions on the dome end (most) should be pretty strong in that area.

Using a wrench doesn't mean that you have to over tighten it. Just a different means to the same result. You owe us no explanation for your methodology.

Last edited:
Reactions: JC1
Those 3 jaw style ones only operate counter clockwise, its the way the teeth are designed. So you cannot even tighten them if you tried. Just go hand tight with gloves or something grippy.

Why can't you tighten it by hand? :unsure:

If you can't for whatever reason, I'd just get the K&N filter with the nut on it and tighten it to whatever spec is recommended by the mfr, if there is one. Otherwise, 3/4 turn after the gasket makes contact.

I think it's 3/4 a turn after the gasket makes contact (or whetever it says on the filter). Simply follow the same rule with a wrench

I would use a cap wrench as previously suggested. I bought one off of Amazon to tighten the oil filter on my Cummins Ram. My arms just aren't long enough to get a good grip and feel comfortable about how tight it is... If you do use something to tighten, for goodness sake don't overtighten it or you will have bigger problems!!!

Just my $0.02

Assuming you cannot physically tighten the filter by hand I agree with the others on using a cap wrench. Your 3 jaw wrench is not suitable for this.

Try this. Clean the new filter really well with brake cleaner and use one of thos silicon jar lid remover pads ( u can buy them at walmart for less than 5 bucks) you wont overtighten and the silicon will help grip the filter housing.

Last edited:
Reason i cant hand tighten is due to the filter location, by the time i reach the oil filter can, im standing on a small ladder, back bent over, arm fully extended and i can barely grab the filter with like half the length of my fingers, i managed to get it 1/2 turn but nothing more and after running the engine for some minutes i noticed a slight amount of fresh oil seeping through.
Ive changed it in the past with a rubber strap wrench but it broke, got a different one from amazon but the rubber strap stretches too much and im unable to tighten the filter because it slips.
Now i got a two way 3 jaw oil filter wrench but im a hit hesitant to use it thats why i am asking if anyone has done it with one of those.
1620855977290.png

Oil filter in question is a Fram Ultra XG3614.

Yes, it is accessed from the engine bay. So much for japanese engineering, they place the oil filter facing upwards, on one side of the engine with a bunch of tubing around and halfway to the bottom of the engine.

Put a couple wraps of grip tape around those fingers and it will tighten the filter before you have any real pressure on the can.

Rubber gloves will work if the outside of the filter is oil free. So will mechanics gloves. The FRAM Ultra and Tough Guards are good filters however, that grippy stuff poses a problem for cap type filter sockets. Change over to WIX 51348 or NAPA Gold 1348 and get you a filter socket that fits. Your problem will be solved.

Good luck trying to hand tighten most tiny filters in tight places anymore, when you can't wrap your hand around them, like when they where quart sized. It's pretty simply to just use the 3/4 turn torque/angle method on everything. I make it easy even with oily hands using a cap, or band wrench with an index mark and eyeball it from there.

Back