Can’t get rid of this spot

On my hood, it won’t scrape off with my finger nail either...

652DA388-ACB3-40EE-A827-7A87AB01CB80.jpeg

It could be bird droppings and now, may be etched into the paint. Try toothpaste on a damp cloth. NO, make that a wet cloth so that there is lots of water. Before I try removing spots/marks in the paint, I use toothpaste before using rubbing compound. It's about as mild as you can get and you can always go more aggressive. Don't press too hard.

Maybe meguirs ultimate compound might work. I’ve used it quite a bit and depending on what problem you’re working on it’s pretty good. Some paint issues you’ll never get right with any polish but it doesn’t hurt to try. My experience is that’s it’s never done any harm, always finishes clean when used as directed.

Take it to a detailer that’s dealt with this hundreds of times and knows what works and what doesn’t. More reasonable than a repaint. No way I’d be fiddling with that. They should have rotary polishers, paint depth meters, etc.

The OP said "on my hood".
It looks like hardened pitch (tree sap) to me.
I'd try a Q-Tip soaked with denatured alcohol. Let it sit a few minutes and see if it softens.

After carefully removing 25 sap blobs from a dark green hood I had a "leopard skin" (spotted) treatment which, surprisingly, muted with time.

I have had good results with the citrus based cleaner Goo Gone on spots that I dont know what they are.
The label says it removes silicone caulk,adhesive,sealants,tree sap,wet paint,glue,grease & grime,asphalt,ink,marker,soot,tar,wax,oil and more.
It does take a bit of time and repeated application to work.

I have a similar spot along the edge of the roof of my Ody. Mine was caused by a bird that apparently ate mulberries (or some other dark berry) prior to flying overhead. By the time I noticed it (about a week) the sun had baked it to the paint pretty well. I have tried a few approaches (goo gone, etc) and finally used rubbing compound to reduce it. It is still visible depending on the lighting, but I'm probably the only person who sees it so I haven't tried anything more aggressive.

Please update the thread when you find a way to remove it.

Put a small dollop of Duke's mayonnaise on the spot and cover it with a damp paper towel and let it sit overnight during a full moon. Clean it off and then use whatever you have on an applicator pad to finish it off.

Back