Can't Get Battery Hold Down To Work

You are correct. Found this pic on ebay. https://www.ebay.com/itm/2335941187...MIoOHfgpjs-QIVC9qzCh0POAVZEAQYAiABEgJIrPD_BwE
Googled "underneath lexus is 300 battery tray" See more pics below.
1661780981076.png
1661780900258.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Here we go, again, found on ebay. Looks like you install the rod lower than needed, then pull it up, pivoting the rod forward/backward for the u - slots to align with the 2 tabs in the plastic undertray. Maybe a friction fit, have to pull with a bit of force. Easier said than done. Click pics to expand.
1661782131032.png
1661784046889.png
1661781428197.jpg
1661782940326.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I ain’t but so dumb. Did a FaceTime with the service manager at Lexus and he told me how to get those power steering items out the way. They had to come out before I could remove the battery box and they had these weird clamps on them.

Anyways I saw how the bracket bar fits and I had been put it in correctly every time. I zip tied it in with three zip ties for future battery installs. Feeling pretty good at this point. Put everything together and dropped the Walmart 24 battery in and much to my dismay it didn’t fit. The bracket did exactly like before. Too short. I went to Walmart and bought my old battery back. I dug through the pile found it brought it home dropped my old Lexus battery in and believe it or not, the bracket fit perfectly. The Lexus battery is about a quarter of an inch shorter.

I have peed away hours. Sweat, no tears, had to apologize to my wife for something I said, etc

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 12
Deleted another pic. Hurray!! Congratulations. Uttered a bad word????? Aren't you a pastor of some sort????? LOL. I'll have my wife say three hail Mary's for you!

Dang, I wasted a lot of time too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just thought the curse words. LOL

I was very harsh with my wife as she was helping me hold the bracket as I was lowering battery in position. She accidentally dropped the bracket and I made a comment about her intelligence.

We all sin. Thank God for forgiveness.

Thank all of you that helped. I can now see I need a Toyota or interstate battery. The fit in the situation has to be “perfect.”

Thank all of you that helped. I can now see I need a Toyota or interstate battery. The fit in the situation has to be “perfect.”
And just to reiterate on this, the proper Group number battery (as listed in the owner's manual, not what came out) does not fit?

I just thought the curse words. LOL

I was very harsh with my wife as she was helping me hold the bracket as I was lowering battery in position. She accidentally dropped the bracket and I made a comment about her intelligence.

We all sin. Thank God for forgiveness.
Everyone (or so I like to think) messes up, and often it's in the presence of those we love the most (and thus can be ourselves with).

The important thing is that you realized you were in the wrong, confessed that to her, and apologized.

And just to reiterate on this, the proper Group number battery (as listed in the owner's manual, not what came out) does not fit?
Yes. 24

Attachments

• 2194B78A-33F8-46BB-B41E-43A68E029717.jpeg
    2194B78A-33F8-46BB-B41E-43A68E029717.jpeg
    164.5 KB · Views: 1
I’d had to shim batteries in the past on Toyotas to get them to fit right - especially if they are Japanese-made models.

The US-built cars never need them - they get a JCI/Clarios battery at the factory. I think the JIS-sized batteries from the Japanese-made cars are a fraction of a mm taller, and the common SAE/BCI batteries(24, 25/26, 27, 35 and 51) that replace them are a touch short.

This particular Walmart 24 battery was just a little too large. I installed it probably 12 times since Friday night. The clamp never would go over the side. I dropped the old Lexus battery and first try and it fit perfectly. I can’t explain it. I don’t understand it. The Lexus service mgr does not understand it but I’m here live in person and I know it won’t fit. If you look closely you can see the piece that slides over you don’t have a quarter inch play as it fits right down snug on top of the battery

And I gave out several batteries in the IS350 with no previous issues.

I’d had to shim batteries in the past on Toyotas to get them to fit right - especially if they are Japanese-made models.

The US-built cars never need them - they get a JCI/Clarios battery at the factory. I think the JIS-sized batteries from the Japanese-made cars are a fraction of a mm taller, and the common SAE/BCI batteries(24, 25/26, 27, 35 and 51) that replace them are a touch short.
A fraction of a millimeter you say?

In my situation the Walmart 24 was too tall. I took it back and got a $157 refund. Thinking back, I seem to remember the Walmart battery had a little lip around the bottom. I wonder if that was not allowing it to seat all the way down in the battery tray. Therefore it road a 1/4 inch higher. ???
The Lexus/Interstate battery has no lip around the bottom.

So what is my conclusion? Both batteries are the same size. But their configuration is not the same. This wouldn’t matter in 99% of cars, I’m guessing.

But, just think how much money you saved by not going to a shop for this!!!! And, you needed a few more gray hairs anyway. The elevated blood pressure is good to cleanse the arteries.

I spent about 3 hours and well over $100 in labor to fix a $40 dollar part at work today. Sigh - if these are our worst problems ...................

In my situation the Walmart 24 was too tall. I took it back and got a $157 refund. Thinking back, I seem to remember the Walmart battery had a little lip around the bottom. I wonder if that was not allowing it to seat all the way down in the battery tray. Therefore it road a 1/4 inch higher. ???
The Lexus/Interstate battery has no lip around the bottom.

So what is my conclusion? Both batteries are the same size. But their configuration is not the same. This wouldn’t matter in 99% of cars, I’m guessing.
What a crazy, frustrating experience.

Too late now, but knowing now that the WM battery sat proud, I would have suggested you try it with the flat tray removed (save it) from the battery tray.
1661809587235.jpeg

Last edited:
But, just think how much money you saved by not going to a shop for this!!!! And, you needed a few more gray hairs anyway. The elevated blood pressure is good to cleanse the arteries.

I spent about 3 hours and well over $100 in labor to fix a $40 dollar part at work today. Sigh - if these are our worst problems ...................
It was nice of the Lexus service mgr to do a FaceTime with me. It was nice for all your help.

You know how when you get that sour disgusting sweat? Like when you are nervous? I was so frustrated that I went to Walmart twice today smelling like that. Thank goodness I didn’t see anyone I knew.

Don't turn in any core part until after the new part is on the car and working.

Back