Cant find oil 2015 Jetta TDI

Originally Posted by Gordon_Schumway
Fantastic. One last question because I honestly know nothing about oil. 0w30 can be used even though 5w30 is recommended ? Is there a downside?
Thanks so much

Assuming it meets the VW specs, it will be fine. One nice thing about those specs is that while oil may be harder to find and generally more expensive, ANY oil on the approved lists can be used without worry, and the performance of all of them is likely very near identical. So if it meets 507, it will work, period. I would actually prefer a 0w myself as it's going to flow better when cold.

Last edited:
I have a '13 Passat TDi That I just bought a few months back, we love it so far but all of the forums and such show so many having problems with the DEF system, the HPFP, the DPF clogging etc, its scary. I have a CPO as it was a dieselgate buyback car with 40k miles. so once my warranty is up I'm nervous but its been great so far and even just short tripping it we average close to 40mpg.

I too had a hard time finding 507 approved oils, and I hate mail ordering oil! I finally found some M1 at the local NAPA on sale for $5.99/qt so I stocked up, sadly I hate Mobil oils though
frown.gif

I honestly think ANY diesel spec'd oil with low SAPS will be fine in these. Many just refuse to pay the fees to test for VAG approvals. Heck, my car has Rotella T6 in it now since I couldn't find the proper stuff initially.

Originally Posted by racin4ds
I have a '13 Passat TDi That I just bought a few months back, we love it so far but all of the forums and such show so many having problems with the DEF system, the HPFP, the DPF clogging etc, its scary. I have a CPO as it was a dieselgate buyback car with 40k miles. so once my warranty is up I'm nervous but its been great so far and even just short tripping it we average close to 40mpg.

I too had a hard time finding 507 approved oils, and I hate mail ordering oil! I finally found some M1 at the local NAPA on sale for $5.99/qt so I stocked up, sadly I hate Mobil oils though
frown.gif

I honestly think ANY diesel spec'd oil with low SAPS will be fine in these. Many just refuse to pay the fees to test for VAG approvals. Heck, my car has Rotella T6 in it now since I couldn't find the proper stuff initially.

Internet parts ordering isn't so bad, and IDparts.com is a great place to shop from. You should be on TDIclub.com also, and you'd have plenty to read/learn from.

While T6 is a great oil, it doesn't meet VW507 spec and would be a quick way for VW to deny you warranty claims if they determine incorrect oil is being used; why risk it?

You may also find LiquiMoly oils at your local NAPA. I believe the 4200 TopTec flavor is approved for 507, and while pricey, it should be available locally. If NAPA doesn't have it on the shelf, they can also order it for you.

Back