Can't find a sewer clean out plug

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had to have a sewer line blockage cleaned out. One of the clean outs is in the driveway protected by a brass cover plate made by Zurn. Removing the cover plate there was a blue threaded plastic plug with a counter sunk square hole in the center which screws into the top of the sewer line. The threads are part of the Zurn adapter which sits on top of the sewer line.

The house was built in 2008, second owner, and as far as I know the cover plug had never been removed. The sewer line cover broke into several pieces when we tried to remove it. A 4" replacement is too small, as is a 5" replacement. 6" is too big! I have checked online and with several large plumbing supply stores in the area. None carry a 5 1/2 plug which is what I am guessing I need. The opening measures about 5 3/4' without taking into account the threaded portion depth.

The cover that broke did in fact say Zurn on it but even their website doesn't list anything like that. I have put the brass plate back on which sits flush with the driveway. I may just put a piece of plastic over the top of the pipe and use RTV sealant to cap it off. This plug sits about an inch or two under the brass cover plate.

I will also contact Zurn and see what they have to say, but any help in the mean time?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
You say "one of the clean outs" .................... is there another the same type? Or check the neighbors. You seem to have successfully cleaned the blockage which is the main thing. Send those pics to Zurn.

Did you clean it out or a someone else? If the later, ask them. They have probably seen enough to know.

Last edited:
If it's in the driveway I wouldn't worry about the plug. I think those are to prevent a back up into a below grade basement

Had to call a sewer clean out company. He tried to replace the broken one with some that he had in his truck, but only had 4 inch and 6 inch. Apparently this 5 1/2 inch is not common at all. There is another clean out in the basement, but that plug is only four inches, and does not have the adapter piece on top of the pipe like the one in the driveway.

Went to two different plumber supply houses, including the one in town that is familiar with the home builder when he built these back in 2008. They knew exactly what I needed, but came up with a price of $98.00 for the piece, they would only sell the complete adapter kit. Just one more reason why I hate plumbing supply houses! If you are a home owner and not a builder or plumbing company, they don't even want to be bothered with you.

I do have an inquiry into Zurn and will see what they have to say. Not too worried about it after hearing some of the comments. I may just leave the brass cover on and forget about anything under it.

I wonder if a 5" would work (like below) and recess down enough that you could still cover it with that original cover. I hate when that stuff is in the middle of a driveway. My "curb" water shut off is in my asphalt driveway. Without the ability to keep a riser on that like you would if it was on your lawn, etc. I wouldn't want to keep this open.

https://www.zoro.com/cherne-industries-pipe-plug-mechanical-size-5-in-271551/i/G3154146/

Last edited:
JTK, mine is offset in the double wide driveway and sits between where the car or truck tires never run over it. The 5 inch would be too small, but the 6 inch would work. Not sure if I will spend the money though now that just the cover will suffice from some of the other replies.

DBMaster, I book marked that page and will contact them tomorrow since they are showing some 5 1/2 inch plugs which should work. Couldn't find a price and it says to email them. I'll find out how much with shipping or if there are any suppliers in my area.

Thanks to everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back