Can't afford to retire in the US? There's...

Status
Not open for further replies.
In this day and age, those folks are lucky to retire at all. I've seen some recent surveys where most people my age (early 30s) think they'll have to work well into their 70s to be able to afford a good standard of living in retirement.

I thank god everyday that I'm not the type of person who fancies lots of "things" or has to have new products for everything. I'm able to live very frugally and save money even though I don't earn that much.

Originally Posted By: mechanicx
Yet you attack UAW as being excessive who's members do something as productive as building cars for 30 years and get pension of typically $900-$2000 month (until their SS kicks in). And I'm saying $3000/month is perfectly adequate to retire on. I'm attacking this article suggesting that they or anyone with similar resources have to move to Panama to retire. It's bogus on several levels. For someone like you who constantly and erroneously rants about union wages (or what they think they know about it) to call me "very bitter and unhappy" to criticise this story is pretty funny and ironic.

Please read entire thread and see if I am ranting about union wages:

Ford/UAW Reach Tentative Agreement (from Oct 4, 2011)

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2395919&page=1

I just want to find a job where I can get a pension! as long as it doesn't involved getting shot at
smirk.gif

It's true most of my generation (early 30s) will likely never be able to retire. At the rate the economy is going we will all be living like the typical Chinese slave wager if things keep going the way they are.

Originally Posted By: 91344George
It's true most of my generation (early 30s) will likely never be able to retire. At the rate the economy is going we will all be living like the typical Chinese slave wager if things keep going the way they are.

people in their 30's will probably live well into their 90's.

There is no reason why a person in their 30's can set aside 10% of their gross pay towards retirement. Some say they can't afford to set aside any money yet they drive a brand new car, have an iPhone, fancy clothes, trinkets,.... etc.

My wife and I have both been contributing 30% for the last 20 years.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
There is no reason why a person in their 30's can set aside 10% of their gross pay towards retirement. Some say they can't afford to set aside any money yet they drive a brand new car, have an iPhone, fancy clothes, trinkets,.... etc.

My wife and I have both been contributing 30% for the last 20 years.

That's awesome. I've been in the 20-25% range for some time now. What you say is so true today. Though, I feel 10% is not enough. I actually bought into the 8% thing when I was in my 20's - man oh man - I wish I would have started at 20% back then!!

Here's another example of screwy saving/spending reasoning: On the radio (local PBR) yesterday they were going on about hunger in the USA. They had a Dr. in the conversation (MD) and he said "The problem (his words) in America is the income is too low, and by the time people pay their bills, there is no money left over for food." He was completely serious. OMFG and the conversation just went on about the poor hungry people and how we shouldn't cut the budget.....and how the people need more income to solve the problem.....Houston - we've found the problem!!

Originally Posted By: mechanicx
Originally Posted By: Pablo
msnbc?

I have a neighbor that works for them. Does anyone here know a person from msnbc?

Amazing organization. They are just, really and solely, a veiwpoint driven ad machine.

True but that goes for all the cable news networks with Fox being a big offender.

Boy that didn't take long. Fox has paid advertising like all the others. CNN, NBC, ABC, FOX etc at least make an attempt at "news"......but man you completely missed my point. Sure they all have bias and skewed viewpoints, but they are not one large advertising machine. MSNBC doesn't even (hardly) pretend to be news.

Originally Posted By: 91344George

That was also said when I was a teenage boy, and I'm 68 now and retired in my 50's.

All depends where you wish to put your priorities.

I'd be poor as a church mouse if I thought I needed all the new and fancy geegaws and fancy new cars, and of course a huge P/U than never hauled anything and got a whopping 16/18 mpg.

Instead my wife and I live very comfortabley in a house thats paid for, driving used but nice looking rust free cars getting 40 mpg, and no debt. Granted we do not have the latest I phone, E phone or whatever, but then I feel no need to be connected to the world 24/7 and insteat live our own lives and can actually carry on a conversation with folks in person.

MSNBC recently allowed completely false allegations on its network and simply refused to correct them when asked.

At least Fox will correct itself, does so regularly, and it seldom requires confrontation to get that to happen.

Note that I am NOT talking about bias, simply accuracy.

Have you guys ever though that maybe the MSNBC/"liberal" media vs. Fox "conservative" media might just be a fallacy and a way to keep the sheep divided? I mean, both organizations take ad money from the same companies... Both sides certainly won't cover real hard news for the most part; they scratch the surface. Why cover real news when you can cover the latest on the Justin Biebler paternity bull manure.

I can't hardly watch any of it anymore. It's dumbed down garbage.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Have you guys ever though that maybe the MSNBC/"liberal" media vs. Fox "conservative" media might just be a fallacy and a way to keep the sheep divided? I mean, both organizations take ad money from the same companies... Both sides certainly won't cover real hard news for the most part; they scratch the surface. Why cover real news when you can cover the latest on the Justin Biebler paternity bull manure.

Fox and MSNBC are just two-sides of the same coin.

Of course living within ones means and saving for retirement is good and necessary. A lot of people's income doesn't meet the high and rising cost of living though. If one is earning less than $2000/month, it's hard to save 10% of ones income let alone 25%. And even if they could would that even provided them with a retirement? Especially when the market has been eating up people's investment accounts.

Supposedly the husband in this story had a 401K and it was being wiped out by market drops.But the point remains they have a $3000/month pension with SS around the corner. And if they can't retire anywhere in the US, then they are the irresponsible people that you are talking about.

I agree. BUt that weren't point. MSNBC is a new cut. I mean completely whacked.

What happened to my burnt Friday thread? I go out and shoot up some targets and come back and it's gone. You guys are out of control.
lol.gif

What happened to my burnt Friday thread? I go out and shoot up some targets and come back and it's gone. You guys are out of control.
lol.gif

The word [censored] was mentioned.

lol.gif

The word [censored] was mentioned.

Gee, I leave and you guys go Starbucks on me!

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
MSNBC recently allowed completely false allegations on its network and simply refused to correct them when asked.

At least Fox will correct itself, does so regularly, and it seldom requires confrontation to get that to happen.

FOX caters to the dumbest and most gullible folks in the US.

Originally Posted By: FXjohn

Hey wait, Fox wins the rating wars hands down.

But MSNBC supports our present administration.

Something doesn't add up, guess I'm just gullible, or are you saying I'm dumb?

Originally Posted By: jcwit
Originally Posted By: FXjohn

Hey wait, Fox wins the rating wars hands down.

But MSNBC supports our present administration.

Something doesn't add up, guess I'm just gullible, or are you saying I'm dumb?

McDonald's sells the most burgers. they must sell the best food.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back