Can't afford to retire in the US? There's...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: jcwit

After seeing what went went on in Wisc. at the State House that is a debateable statement, but not here!

Agreed.

Last edited:
mechanicx,

So would you feel better if that article was about an older couple that was struggling to make ends meet and cold during the winter time in Philadelphia ?

Times are tough for lots of people in the USA, even older folks are worried how they will make it for the next 10-30 years.

Why don't they just get a job ?
Read dailyjobcuts.com and you will see its impossible for some to get a job in this [censored] economy.

Originally Posted By: mechanicx
And I'm saying $3000/month is perfectly adequate to retire on.

Perhaps in some areas, but not in New Jersey. $3,000/month would cover my mortgage, health insurance, and taxes, leaving me cold, hungry, and naked.
55.gif
I'm moving!

Tom NJ

Originally Posted By: daves87rs

Bottom line here is that it is there money to do what they want with.
Last I checked it was a free country.....

Me, too. I was always taught to let people be.

I hope they have a glorious time!

Where they wish to live with the monies from pensions they receive is entirely their decision and up to them. More power to them and best wishes to them, may they have many healthful years to enjoy retirement.

With that said my wife and I receive a whole lot less than $3000 on my militart disability pension but we live a very fullfilling life. I retired at the ripe old age of about 55, house is paid for, both vehicles we own are paid for and to the best of my knowledge are in excellent shape, we both are in good health, "knock on wood", we stay warm and both chest freezers are full and the cold celler is full of canned goods. Monies are available for our hobbies which we enjoy. We consider ourselves to be very Blessed and have much to be thankful for this Thanksgiving and time of year.

I really wish everyone else could be as contented.

Last edited:
Japanese are retiring outside Japan because it's really expensive to continue living there.
Germans in Spain and Greece.
Actually there was a booming real estate market untill recently.
I see your point but if there is a shortage of money or you are planning to retire early , it is a very good solution.

The capital leaving the country is done so in a very large part due to the importation of oil. Last year our trade deficit was nearly 500 billion dollars. Our oil importation accounts for over 250 billion dollars of the deficit.

A very weak dollar is driving these numbers and not necessarily the amount of oil itself. Our currency is simply too weak to buy much on the world market.

I completely understand a family that wishes to retire abroad. The idea of living the expatriate lifestyle is quite enticing for people who can imagine a life other than the one they're accustomed to.

edit: sorry, this was a reply to a post on page one. I didn't realize there were two pages. I'm out of sequence with my post.

Last edited:
Where they wish to live with the monies from pensions they receive is entirely their decision and up to them. More power to them and best wishes to them, may they have many healthful years to enjoy retirement.

With that said my wife and I receive a whole lot less than $3000 on my militart disability pension but we live a very fullfilling life. I retired at the ripe old age of about 55, house is paid for, both vehicles we own are paid for and to the best of my knowledge are in excellent shape, we both are in good health, "knock on wood", we stay warm and both chest freezers are full and the cold celler is full of canned goods. Monies are available for our hobbies which we enjoy. We consider ourselves to be very Blessed and have much to be thankful for this Thanksgiving and time of year.

This is what I'm saying. Sure if you live in a high real estate and taxes area $3000+/ month would not go far especially if you are a poor budgeter and don't have your mortgage paid off. But a lot of people are retiring well on a lot less in many decent places to live in the US. But when someone says they can't retire comfortably anywhere in the US with over $3000/month and have to move to central America that's baloney. So if you want to move to C. America it's really for reasons other than economic necessity.

I known people who had similar Gov pensions and they lived in a nice, big house in a nice neighborhood that they still paid a mortgage on, had a nice new car, celebrated the holidays somewhat extravagantly and ocassionally took vacations. I also know retirees living on $700/month and get by although they usually don't have a car. Bottomline is if you planned properly you can retire in the US comfortably starting at $2000/month and even drive a decent car. It sounds like you are an example of that.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
mechanicx,

So would you feel better if that article was about an older couple that was struggling to make ends meet and cold during the winter time in Philadelphia ?

Times are tough for lots of people in the USA, even older folks are worried how they will make it for the next 10-30 years.

Why don't they just get a job ?
Read dailyjobcuts.com and you will see its impossible for some to get a job in this [censored] economy.

I don't know how you come to that conclusion. I never said anyone should not be better off. But this couple is better off. They both had decent jobs apparently their whole working life. A $3k/month pension in your 50's, some 401K and SS around the corner is not a bad financial situation to retire in the US. Instead of claiming it was impossible to make ends meet anywhere in the US, they could've said well the mortgage is paid off and now we can comfortably retire in the US, or we want to move to a tropical location for lower rent and meal prices. At least that would've been accurate and honest.

I don't care what anyone does with their money and wish them the best. Someone could decide to live in a trailer and gamble all their money away. It doesn't mean anyone has to agree with it or can't point out the consequences.

msnbc?

I have a neighbor that works for them. Does anyone here know a person from msnbc?

Amazing organization. They are just, really and solely, a veiwpoint driven ad machine.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Off Topic: I was in Panama for 2 months and I would hate to live in that country (and I'm half hispanic).

Why, specifically?

Having lived and worked in several South American and Caribbean countries during my career, I submit,you are offered all the legal protection available to natives--this where legal protections do not exist. Be careful. John--Las Vegas.

Didn't we invade Panama a few years back partly because American expats were being mistreated?

I don't know I doubt people who are under a lot of healthcare treatment don't live abroad or stay abroad. They might come back to just run up a medicare bill.

You are very blessed, and smart enough to realize it.

Attitude is almost as important as anything, good job!

Originally Posted By: Pablo
msnbc?

I have a neighbor that works for them. Does anyone here know a person from msnbc?

Amazing organization. They are just, really and solely, a veiwpoint driven ad machine.

And their reporting is so ridiculously biased and sometimes simply innaccurate...

Originally Posted By: tonycarguy
Isn't this actually a good thing? Wouldn't it reduce Medicare costs if lots of seniors started moving out of the US?

if your a senior with alot of medical problems, you could move out of the country to save money on healthcare costs. but, you would have 3rd world country care. I would choose Canada.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Originally Posted By: Pablo
msnbc?

And their reporting is so ridiculously biased and sometimes simply innaccurate...

True but that goes for all the cable news networks with Fox being a big offender.

Anyway these live cheaply in other countries stories are popping up everywhewre. You have to laugh at their lists "you will need 3000-4000/month to live in this country (insert 3rd world country) or $2500/month to live in this country". "While an apartment is $1500/month in downtown Panama City, you can rent a house way out for $450 month". LOL at $1500/month for an apartment I could live near downtown in many US cities. And for none of the places suggested you need less than $2000/month. If I need $2k-$3k/month to retire in any 3rd world country, what do I need in the US or other 1st world countries, $4k-6k? What a bunch of baloney.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back