Cancer really sucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Gary Allan

AFAIK, there is no survival rate, just varied extensions on assured death. 5 of my mother's 6 sisters fell to cancer ..4 of them pancreatic.

Exactly. Once diagnosed its quick. Gary, you fall into the same category as I. Pancreatic cancer is somewhat inherited. Mom died of it.

My mom has stage 4 cancer.
frown.gif
It started out as colorectal cancer a few years, and she had surgery followed by a year of mild cheemo and she beat it back then. She went over two years of being cancer free and then it came back.
frown.gif
She now has about 4 or 5 small tumors spread through her body, in her liver and lungs and she's using a new experimental drug which is working very well right now, it has been successful at shrinking the tumors she has. But they'll never be completely eliminated unless they come up with some radical new cure very soon. So all we can hope for is that this new drug she is on will buy her enough time that they find something else which fights this cruel disease.

Originally Posted By: Al

AFAIK, there is no survival rate, just varied extensions on assured death. 5 of my mother's 6 sisters fell to cancer ..4 of them pancreatic.

Exactly. Once diagnosed its quick. Gary, you fall into the same category as I. Pancreatic cancer is somewhat inherited. Mom died of it.

I try and take comfort in the fact that the men on both sides lived very long lives. Paternal grandfather was 91 and just expired from plain old age. Maternal grandfather did indeed die of colon cancer ..but at the age of 88
21.gif
. Both grandmothers were not so long lived, but then again, I think that they both endured pregnancies until the organs gave out. A spinster aunt (that's ahnt if youah truly frum NuWingland - a(u)nts show up at picnics)on my mother's side lived well into her 80's and had a peaceful departure in her own unassisted living situation.

What a depressing thread.
frown.gif
We've lost a few members to cancer over the last 4 years. Very horrible disease. Sorry to hear about all of this. Hang in there and try to stay postive.

He was buried Saturday. It was colon cancer. Thank you for the prayers. My family said he looked very peaceful.

I was on this site a fair amount of time for a year or two, until Nov. of 2006, when I got real sick. I had a physical in late Jan. of 2007 and a colonoscopy in early Feb. of 2007, which showed that I had rectal cancer. I had an operation in late Feb. of 2007, and had chemotherapy and radiation therapy from April of 2007 until just before Christmas of last year. It was the worst year of my life. I now have an inkling of what (the place where the Devil lives) is like. In addition, I had a hernia operation last Oct. and two good friends of mine are dying of inoperable cancer. Last month a CAT scan and blood test showed no cancer, so I'm hoping that I'm in remission. The doctors tell me that I face the possibility of its return indefinitely, and will need blood tests and colonoscopies until I die, one way or another. Various doctors have given me a 60-95 percent chance of surviving. This thing is hideous. So I sympathize with you who have, or have relatives or friends who have, this thing from down under, and I don't mean Aussie-land.

Last edited:
Cancer doesn't just suck. It drains the mind, ravages the heart, and erodes the soul.

How does that famous line from some author go? Something like "Do not go gently into that dark night. Rage, rage, against the waning of the light".

Originally Posted By: jmacmaster
I'm hoping that I'm in remission.

Hang in there dude. Sounds like all is better.

I've been looking through and enjoying your posts of the past year while at home this evening. I look forward to more as you choose to post, JMac. Was thinking of you earlier today in an exchange with a fellow on another site in re the west slope in Colorado as we "spoke" on beetle damage to trees, mineral extraction and the pleasures of being in rural areas; real estate development ill's, etc.

These days, the only thing I ask others, or about others who are ill, is, "Are they sleeping well" and "Are they eating well"? The rest just has to be lived with, but those two are the ones which, IMHO, determine the quality.

Continued best hopes, for you, from South Texas!

My father had colon cancer and died at the age of 67. Tony (age 67) had xrays in February of 06 and everything was normal and his lungs looked good and by the end of May the doctors saw a small line around his heart (like a pencil line) and it was cancer. He had 35 radiation treatments and 8 chemos and with in a week of each chemo he was in the hospital for a week or two and received 3 -5 units of blood and plateletts. On December 20th his cancer had shrunk 50%. On January 12th he had a heart attack and I was told he had 6 to 18 months left. On the 20th I was told that in the previous 48 hours the cancer had come back and it took both lungs, both kidneys and hs brain. My son-in-law will not make it much longer because his cancer is spreading. Never put off telling anyone how they are special and you care for them My heart goes out to each of you and your family and friends that are fighting this battle. There is always hope and my prayers are with all you. Helen

FWIW,

I was diagnosed with Testicular Cancer in 1994. After taking 1/2 of my equipment, 30 lymph nodes, lots of scars and 9 months of chemo, I'm here today to annoy fellow BITOG'ers.

Right now, my father-in-law has cancer in his colon, lungs, lymph nodes and one other spot. A former pastor has leukemia. My wife's friend is dying of inoperable brain cancer and even my cat has a big tumor on his jaw. Cancer totally sucks in the wost way. It's an insidious disease and I truly feel for anyone who comes down with it.

My prayers to all of you dealing with this or who have ever dealt with it in the past.

Quote:
Never put off telling anyone how they are special and you care

Yes. Don't wait until you learn this the hard way. Do this even for totally selfish reasons. I still struggle with my father's tragic passing of over 20 years ago (burn victim). I swore that I'd never have my children suffer with this regret. Every encounter ends with, "I love you".

Cherish and celebrate the souls that have touched your life. In the end, that's all that has any real meaning.

Quote:
Never put off telling anyone how they are special and you care

Yes. Don't wait until you learn this the hard way. Do this even for totally selfish reasons. I still struggle with my father's tragic passing of over 20 years ago (burn victim). I swore that I'd never have my children suffer with this regret. Every encounter ends with, "I love you".

Cherish and celebrate the souls that have touched your life. In the end, that's all that has any real meaning.

thumbsup2.gif
thumbsup2.gif
01.gif
follow this and your life will always be filled with happiness

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back