Cancer really sucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My friend just lost her father to cancer. He died of pancreatic cancer after a 4.5 year battle. I think it was pancreatic. She was very sparse on details. Please say a prayer for Alfred Lau.

This is the second friend to lose their father to cancer in the last six months.

One of my relatives died from pancreatic cancer as well. Not a lot of people knew about it until he got very ill.

RIP Alfred Lau

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: lpcmidst128
One of my relatives died from pancreatic cancer as well. Not a lot of people knew about it until he got very ill.

rip Alfred Lau

A good friend of mine died of it last year. The odds of survival are very low.

RIP.

Neigbour 3 doors down died of Cancer in November. Neigbour over the road just diagnosed with Bowel Cancer. MIL died 2 years ago.

Was just about to post a cancer thread myself...will leave it a few days.

A good friend of ours, she's about 47 is going down hill. We're praying for her. Really, perhaps we should create thread of folks who are sick and we need to pray for?

Originally Posted By: XS650
Originally Posted By: lpcmidst128

rip Alfred Lau

A good friend of mine died of it last year. The odds of survival are very low.

AFAIK, there is no survival rate, just varied extensions on assured death. 5 of my mother's 6 sisters fell to cancer ..4 of them pancreatic. My mother was the only one to expire from heart disease ..and they all died at about the same age (mid to late 70's). Those that were younger ..appeared to have a longer extension on life and did so in more "comfort" than the older sisters. I can only attribute that to the medical community having more cause to focus upon it and, in turn, get more experience in what works.

Thanks. My friend knew that this was going to happen. Unlike my friend Daniel, whose dad was diagnosed in late June and died August 20th, Alfred had it for 4.5 years. He never told anyone. He tried alternative medicine. Didn't work. I'm still not sure if it was pancreatic. I know that he had a relapse at some point, leading to it spreading. Last I heard, he couldn't walk without a walker.

He used to drive my to school every morning my freshman year of high school. I haven't seen him since. I was happy that he was able to read my get well card. It sucks because I am not going to make it to the funeral. I was in Houston last weekend.

Dad was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer on April 17, 2006 and we buried him on June 2, 2006. The first round of chemo put him in the hospital and it was down a very steep hill with no brakes after that.

6 weeks that I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy, never mind a family member.

Thank [Insert appropriate deity here since the censor program won't allow me to use the 3-letter word for the Allmighty] for hospice programs. There really are Angels among us.

Last edited:
Quote:
I haven't seen him since. I was happy that he was able to read my get well card. It sucks because I am not going to make it to the funeral. I was in Houston last weekend.

Well, take the lesson taught to heart. If you've got anything to say to someone that meant something to you, in any way, do it NOW. Don't wait until your good friends start dropping to realize that our time is finite and that if you wait to "get around to it", you may just be robbed of the opportunity. All those moments in time .. lost.. without the breath exchanged to share them. I had two such events that kinda changed my view on things ..just a tad. I don't need to go into too many details, but the real eye opener was when one of my young buck contemporaries was struck down early (w/cancer). I'd always envisioned us growing and groaning old and fading into some functional dysfunction. I did get to thank him for the fun that we had together when we were young..but it was kinda a shame I never found time before that moment.

Grieve not for those passed. Their suffering is over. Rejoice in the peace that is upon them.

Babe Ruth died in 1948 from lung cancer. My guess is that 60 years and countless billions of dollars spent on researching treatments/cures later, he would have lived 2 weeks to a month longer.

Last edited:
When I was in college my best friends father was diagnosed with cancer. Watching him slowly fade away was brutal for everyone.

One of my relatives had breast cancer and was declared to be cancer free.

10 years later she was hit again with cancer, this time it was inoperable. She tried chemo, radiation, and experimental medicines, but after about a year and a half she succumbed to it's ravages.

That is one disease I would not wish on my worst enemy.

Originally Posted By: GROUCHO MARX
My guess is that 60 years and countless billions of dollars spent on researching treatments/cures later, he would have lived 2 weeks to a month longer.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
AFAIK, there is no survival rate, just varied extensions on assured death.

Saw some statistics down here (no link) talking about all of the "early detection is vital" campaigns that we have at present. Basically, if everyone detected their cancer 1 month earlier, then average survival is one month longer, and a greater number of people make it to the magic 5 year mark.

My brother in Law passed away December 27th 2007 at the age of 42 due to a form of Cancer.

Told him on Dec 21st that he had 2-3 weeks to go.

Did not last even a week.

Left behind my Little sister and 3 kids aged 10-16.

It is tough...

Bill

" Basically, if everyone detected their cancer 1 month earlier, then average survival is one month longer, and a greater number of people make it to the magic 5 year mark."
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shannow, I'm sure that's true. What's also true is that cancer in younger people is generally more aggressive. Therefore, constant screening would be necessary. It would take most of the fun out of being young.

I feel awful for anyone who must bury a child. Even if that child is 60 years of age at death and the parent is 90.

I haven't had a male on my father's side live to be 65 yet. Emphysema, bone cancer, heart attack, stroke, skin cancer,ect.

I'm 49.

Originally Posted By: Shannow

Saw some statistics down here (no link) talking about all of the "early detection is vital" campaigns that we have at present. Basically, if everyone detected their cancer 1 month earlier, then average survival is one month longer, and a greater number of people make it to the magic 5 year mark.

For several varieties of cancer the detection time/extra life relation ship is extremely non-linear. Early detection in those cases can greatly reduce the risk of -ever- dying from that cancer or having further complications.

3 1/2 years ago I found I had a 9 cm tumor in one kidney. The CT scan looked like it was also growing out side the kidney. When I had the kidney and tumor removed it wasn't outside the kidney yet so my odds are real good now. Had I not discovered it until a few months later when it had actually broken out of the kidney, my odds of surviving would be much lower.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back