Canceled my Chase card (fraud alert)

Status
Not open for further replies.

gathermewool

Site Donor 2023
I travel a decent amount, from all over the state to MA to MD to MO and IL, as well as overseas on occasion and I've never had my card declined. With the exception of local businesses, for whom I try to pay and tip in cash, I almost exclusively use my CC for the points and ease of not having to carry too much cash. I use it for online purchases, gas, bills and when I travel. I use my CC a lot...

I was able to squeeze a quick 4-day weekend in to drive down and enjoy some tasty MD crabs. We all decided to drive down late Thursday night, after work, to get a good head start on the weekend - I thought it would be nice to wake up there, and it was.

Well, my first stop on our 7 hour trek was in DE, after the gas light came on (no other purchases along the way.) My card wouldn't go through at the Exxon station, but it was late and the station was closed (though all of the lights were on and the pumps didn't appear to be secured) so we drove on. At the next station, the pump told me I needed to see the attendant. The attendant informed me that my card was decline. My bill isn't due for another week (I always keep a zero balance), and while I walked back to tell my wife we'd need to use her card for gas and figure mine out in the morning I got a buzz buzz indicating an email.

The email was a fraud alert from the purchase I tried to make at the first station 20 minutes prior. I called and tried to contain my frustration as the Chase representative apologized for my frustration. Having my card flagged for a purchase 3 States away is annoying, but understandable (though, like I said, I travel and buy random things all over.) Answering all of my security questions and then some was also fine; however, having to explain my exact plan for the weekend, including which states I'd be in and for how long and and etc. was a little annoying (especially when I was told before that they couldn't care less when I offered up my itinerary for a multi-nation trip) when all we wanted was some gas and to finish the last 2 hrs of our journey.

What was enfuriating, is when, three days later, my card is again declined on the way home, at a rest stop trying to buy my wife an ice cream bar.

I called and canceled my card earlier today. I couldn't care less about a little embarrassment when some one tells me my card has been declined, but to have it declined a second time after being grilled by the Chase representative about my plans a few days prior? Unacceptable.

What was strange is how quickly the third representative complied with canceling my card. I kind of expected him to try and talk me out of it. Maybe it was my tone or how I put it, or maybe they just don't care at all.

/rant

Last edited:
You don't carry a balance, you rack up points, you use the card a lot, what do they get out of it? Banks are in the business of making money, and you aren't making them any.

Originally Posted By: JamesBond
You don't carry a balance, you rack up points, you use the card a lot, what do they get out of it? Banks are in the business of making money, and you aren't making them any.

Sorry there Mr. Bond, but merchants pay a fee to accept credit cards. So even the folks her don't carry a balance make the credit card companies money, especially if they use the card a lot.

It may be annoying however, my card was also declined this past Saturday at a gas pump here in VA. I had withdrawn $200 from the ATM less than an hour before. The reason my card was declined was someone was trying to charge $176 at Toys R us in NYC. It was my bank debit/credit card and yes it was annoying, but I can understand why it was cancelled. There has been a serious rash of this in the area just within the past week. Your situation gives me something to think about though. Do I need to call my bank the next time I travel or what? You can bet I will be taking cash with me.

I'm just saying your frustration should be directed at the thieves, not the bank.

Last edited:
I realize that merchants also pay on every transaction, but rewards, billing, managing your account, customer service, chasing down fraud all ads up. They want to maximize profits and an account without late fees and interest charges probably isn't the best money maker.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit

Sorry there Mr. Bond, but merchants pay a fee to accept credit cards. So even the folks her don't carry a balance make the credit card companies money, especially if they use the card a lot.

exactly. There are other ways the credit card company's make money. Also he is a good customer for them. They don't have to spend man power calling him every month. And if a person that doesn't pay his bills and it goes to collections around here they sell the debt to a collector for a percentage of the total so the card company doesn't even get the full amount back.

My bank knows that I do not carry a balance but recently offered to increase my limit to double what I have.

When we had an appliance business in the '80s we charged 3.5% on credit purchases. The banks make money even if you keep a 0 balance.

Sounds kinda like one of my chase cards...I had to call to fix an issue, and they came out pretty nasty...something I ave never really seen with a credit card company...

The bank itself is fine (chase), but their card division really sucks...

I had this happen with "AT&T Universal Card" in the 1990s-- my first credit card, got it in college, $500 limit, etc. I never used it then used it 2x at two pay-at-the-pump gas stations 4 hours and 275 miles apart. This is apparently strange and esoteric behavior-- they called my parents (!) who weren't co-signers to ask them where I was.

That card got canned.

I always call my card company before I travel and give dates and locations where I will be. Here in the northeast, there are a lot of CC scams, etc, and card companies are dealing with a lot of problems. Small purchases like an ice cream can trigger an alert because it is the kind of thing a stolen card might be used for.

I got this but easy to correct when travelling to Canada. I believe they have a piece on website to convey this information to them pre travel.

If you were charged $1000's of dollars from a stolen card and not flagged it would be an issue too. Just saying not a perfect system and definitely annoying. I always carry my debit too.

I realize that merchants also pay on every transaction, but rewards, billing, managing your account, customer service, chasing down fraud all ads up. They want to maximize profits and an account without late fees and interest charges probably isn't the best money maker.

Then they aren't making any money from me either. I've never paid a penny in interest or late fees since I've been using credit cards. Trust me that's been a long time. I'm sure there are plenty of other people in the same boat too.

This is why I wouldn't mind getting a second CC. I don't like using my ATM/debit card period, even though I carry that around too.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
I travel a decent amount, from all over the state to MA to MD to MO and IL, as well as overseas on occasion and I've never had my card declined. With the exception of local businesses, for whom I try to pay and tip in cash, I almost exclusively use my CC for the points and ease of not having to carry too much cash. I use it for online purchases, gas, bills and when I travel. I use my CC a lot...

I was able to squeeze a quick 4-day weekend in to drive down and enjoy some tasty MD crabs. We all decided to drive down late Thursday night, after work, to get a good head start on the weekend - I thought it would be nice to wake up there, and it was.

Well, my first stop on our 7 hour trek was in DE, after the gas light came on (no other purchases along the way.) My card wouldn't go through at the Exxon station, but it was late and the station was closed (though all of the lights were on and the pumps didn't appear to be secured) so we drove on. At the next station, the pump told me I needed to see the attendant. The attendant informed me that my card was decline. My bill isn't due for another week (I always keep a zero balance), and while I walked back to tell my wife we'd need to use her card for gas and figure mine out in the morning I got a buzz buzz indicating an email.

The email was a fraud alert from the purchase I tried to make at the first station 20 minutes prior. I called and tried to contain my frustration as the Chase representative apologized for my frustration. Having my card flagged for a purchase 3 States away is annoying, but understandable (though, like I said, I travel and buy random things all over.) Answering all of my security questions and then some was also fine; however, having to explain my exact plan for the weekend, including which states I'd be in and for how long and and etc. was a little annoying (especially when I was told before that they couldn't care less when I offered up my itinerary for a multi-nation trip) when all we wanted was some gas and to finish the last 2 hrs of our journey.

What was enfuriating, is when, three days later, my card is again declined on the way home, at a rest stop trying to buy my wife an ice cream bar.

I called and canceled my card earlier today. I couldn't care less about a little embarrassment when some one tells me my card has been declined, but to have it declined a second time after being grilled by the Chase representative about my plans a few days prior? Unacceptable.

What was strange is how quickly the third representative complied with canceling my card. I kind of expected him to try and talk me out of it. Maybe it was my tone or how I put it, or maybe they just don't care at all.

/rant

You won't help your credit score by cancelling the card. Better to request a new card and never use it.

Banks have to eat all the fraud charges so they are actively looking for fraud with their fraud management systems.

Frustrating situation. I have two cards that would consistently trigger fraud alerts when gassing up, supposedly because the transaction was across state lines (NJ gas but NY billing) and because of the frequency.

Basically, tanking up two days back to back set off the fraud alarms. Probably 10 to 12 times - got to the point that I would call while waiting in line to get to the pump and tell them I want to be on the line when the fraud alert comes though so the rep could reverse it and I could use my card.

Never had that issue with Chase - though I use that card infrequently.

One thing is for sure, I will not declare my travel plans or what type of purchases I may do to a bank. And as pointed out by OP, it didn't help him with the situation, so why give that kind of personal information to anyone?

My CC's are pretty good. Instead of declining the transaction, I had them call me on my call phone few times to confirm that I made the purchase. I used my CC to order a hotel online in Japan after we landed (I never went to or purchased anything from Japan before) and the transaction went through just fine, but I had a message to call them and confirm the transaction.

Few hundred bucks is nothing for them and there is absolutely no reason for the banks to decline every "suspicious" looking transaction. The follow up and the cleanup required oftentimes will cost them more than the transaction itself.
The burden is on them to keep me informed on any suspicious activity, but not to hinder my purchases because their computer flags the transaction. OP did well by cancelling the service.

Citibank gave me a chip embedded card. apparently, mastercard/visa has mandated all credit cards have this sim chip in all credit cards by 11/2015. mastercard/visa will no longer forgive fraud charges with cards without the sim chip in it after 11/2015. can't buy and sell without the mark..err chip in the card. the end is nigh..

I had a Chevron card for 35+ years. Worked great, I used it all the time for fuel purchases. If I were taking a trip, I would call them and tell them I would be traveling from xx date to xx date. Card would work without restriction wherever I went.

A few years ago, I went on a motorcycle trip. Called and told them I would be traveling. Third time I tried to use the card, it was declined. Called my wife, she called them. All fixed, according to them. Try to use the card for the third time again, declined. I put it away for the rest of the trip.

When I got home, I discovered that GE Credit had taken over Chevron's credit. A couple of calls, all should be good in the future.

Next trip, we haul the trailer. Stop for gas every 160-180 miles. Third stop......You guessed it. Nothing I could do would circumvent the use-it-twice....Call-in program. I have not used that card since.

A couple of months later, I got a notice that Lowes was turning their credit over to GE Credit. I immediately cancelled that card. I want nothing to do with a credit company that works so hard at not letting you use their card.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
One thing is for sure, I will not declare my travel plans or what type of purchases I may do to a bank. And as pointed out by OP, it didn't help him with the situation, so why give that kind of personal information to anyone?

News flash, your bank knows where you live, vacation, and where you shop when you use your card.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Originally Posted By: KrisZ

News flash, your bank knows where you live, vacation, and where you shop when you use your card.

Don't you think I know that already? It's precisely why I'm baffled why they would want me to call ahead of time. Last time I checked I'm their customer; I have the card in my possession and have not reported it stolen. The card is chipped and I have a pin set on the card. By their words, the card is secure. So explain to me why should I be burdened to report my plans?

If some hacker manages somehow to use my card information, despite me not losing the card, then it’s their fault in the security and I should not be inconvenienced by it. Otherwise it’s bye, bye.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back