Canadian Troops should take their Weapons Home

Status
Not open for further replies.
Arming ALL the bad guys is not the answer for that, either!
EVERY country has to deal with it WHEN it happens. Like it is now. No other way.

Arming EVERYBODY will stop ALL BAD GUYS from doing harm? what a joke!

(stopping comments here to avoid lock/ban etc - this IS bitog - LOL!)

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Originally Posted By: 97tbird
Thing is, you can't issue guns just to GOOD guys.

On the other side of that token, you can't take guns away from bad guys! I think Canadian gun laws proved this yesterday...

Yes, and with his criminal record there was no way he was able to legally purchase or own a firearm, which means that he obtained it illegally.

I guess I'll be the one to point this out. Canada's strict gun laws are the reason this lunatic was armed with (to my knowledge) what was either a double barrel or single shot rifle. Had this been the United States, he would have been armed with a fully automatic. We are looking at this backwards. If this renegade was armed with say an AK-47 he would have killed countless more; likely including the security guard who eventually killed him.

Instead of more firearms, I want to see it easier for citizens, women especially, able to legally obtain pepper spray or a even a stunning device (with training and a background check). Citizens in Canada CAN obtain a licence to purchase/carry pepper spray, but you have to take a training course where you are yourself pepper sprayed or zapped with a stun gun! I want my wife to carry a defensive device but I'm not letting her get sprayed with mace or zapped to do it.

I am not in any way offended by soldiers being able to carry a loaded sidearm, and I can certainly share that perspective, especially now that there is a credible threat against servicemen.

Originally Posted By: CurtisB
I guess I'll be the one to point this out. Canada's strict gun laws are the reason this lunatic was armed with (to my knowledge) what was either a double barrel or single shot rifle. Had this been the United States, he would have been armed with a fully automatic. We are looking at this backwards. If this renegade was armed with say an AK-47 he would have killed countless more; likely including the security guard who eventually killed him.

Instead of more firearms, I want to see it easier for citizens, women especially, able to legally obtain pepper spray or a even a stunning device (with training and a background check). Citizens in Canada CAN obtain a licence to purchase/carry pepper spray, but you have to take a training course where you are yourself pepper sprayed or zapped with a stun gun! I want my wife to carry a defensive device but I'm not letting her get sprayed with mace or zapped to do it.

I am not in any way offended by soldiers being able to carry a loaded sidearm, and I can certainly share that perspective, especially now that there is a credible threat against servicemen.

He obtained the gun illegally. He could have been sporting ANYTHING including a Ruger mini 14 with a 30 round mag. He wasn't because what he had was probably what he could afford.

It isn't like he walked into a gun shop and purchased what he needed to commit these heinous acts.

The firearm may have been legally purchased, in which it would be under the restrictions, than stolen and sold illegally. Maybe he even stole it himself.

So he still obtained it illegally. I'm not sure I see your point?

And the "restrictions" on many of the mags for the semi-autos are a rivet. Going from 5 to 30 is a drill bit away. But he wasn't wielding one of those likely because of the cost of doing so.

And an illegal gun is an illegal gun. If he bought it black market I'm sure his options were much broader than what are available at your local gun shop.

Even an SKS with a 7 round stripper would have been a possibility, but he didn't have one of those either (and they are legal).

Some of these black market weapons are first stolen from legal gun owners. Legal gun owners purchase firearms which meet the Canadian firearms restrictions. I am aware of how easy it is to turn a 3 round magazine into a 20 or 30 round magazine; that's why no-one should be possessing these things outside of military or law enforcement, period. If a person is so enthralled in gun culture they can enroll in our fine armed forces where they will have automatic weapons and range time.

I don't buy into the self defence fantasy where I'm going to defend my neighborhood like Charlie Bronson with a belt fed machine gun, and be some kind of super hero. I respect that you are a legal gun owner, but more of us carrying guns is a recipe for more problems, and provides more availably for nutters like our Ottawa shooter to obtain a gun.

Sorry I can't continue the debate, I have to leave for work.

Some of these black market weapons are first stolen from legal gun owners.

Yes. Some. Others, like the majority of the hand guns in circulation, come across from the USA.

The same goes for other types of weapons. I'm sure you can buy hand grenades and C4 on the black market too.

Legal gun owners purchase firearms which meet the Canadian firearms restrictions.

Yes, and it isn't legal gun owners committing these crimes.

I am aware of how easy it is to turn a 3 round magazine into a 20 or 30 round magazine; that's why no-one should be possessing these things outside of military or law enforcement, period.

Because so many crimes in Canada are committed with these weapons? I don't see your logic here. This crime was not committed with an automatic or semi-automatic rifle, let alone one with a 30 round mag. It was certainly a possibility, but it didn't happen. He didn't have an M1 Abrahms or a Bazooka either, both of which are also illegal. This crime was committed with a gun that doesn't even fit your own description of what "should be illegal", and the crime from the other day was done using a car, and was just as deadly.

I can't think of a recent Canadian shooting committed with one of the guns you are describing here, can you?

If a person is so enthralled in gun culture they can enroll in our fine armed forces where they will have automatic weapons and range time.

So people who enjoy shooting need to join the armed forces now? I assume you aren't an advocate of hunting then eh?

I don't buy into the self defence fantasy where I'm going to defend my neighborhood like Charlie Bronson with a belt fed machine gun, and be some kind of super hero. I respect that you are a legal gun owner, but more of us carrying guns is a recipe for more problems, and provides more availably for nutters like our Ottawa shooter to obtain a gun.

Sorry I can't continue the debate, I have to leave for work.

The majority of the shootings in Canada happen in urban areas and are committed with illegally obtained hand guns. I'm not advocating Canadians carry hand guns (though many people do), but I am certainly all for properly licensed people to be able to defend their house, if, God forbid, they ever needed to. That's not "carrying a gun" however. And since the Ottawa shooter used a long gun, I don't see the parallel you are drawing there. Canadians currently do not "carry guns" and he was obviously quite able to obtain one illegally, just like the Gang Bangers in Toronto are able to get theirs. Chasing the illegal sale and influx of illegal weapons would be far more effective than further restricting the gun rights of law abiding Canadian citizens.

It is like Olivia Chow advocating the banning of hand guns in Toronto. Newsflash: The folks currently committing crimes with these guns and owning them are already doing so illegally; they are already criminals. Since they currently don't follow the law in the first place, what effect is this going to have other than further angering the folks that have gone to the effort to obtain their RPAL and are already storing these items properly? We do not have a rash of handgun thefts happening in the GTA. The guns in the hands of criminals are coming here from the United States. THAT is the problem.

It seems a Canadian custom to, instead of pursuing and punishing the criminals and attacking the ROOT of the problem, just try and legislate something away. Which has proven time and time again to never work. It can't work due to the definition of a criminal! The only people who are going to follow the new law are the same people currently following the old laws, which are the people who are not criminals!

I'm sure we both want to know how and where this guy was able to obtain a rifle and ammunition. And we know it wasn't from a gun shop. Chasing that will at least put us a step further to dealing with the root of the problem.

Quote:
I'm sure we both want to know how and where this guy was able to obtain a rifle and ammunition. And we know it wasn't from a gun shop. Chasing that will at least put us a step further to dealing with the root of the problem.

In a perfect world, the long gun registry would have identified the last legal owner of the gun atleast... Even if it was stolen, that gives a place to start atleast, that would probably save a lot of investigation time now.

Do we still have to sign a book at the gun shop when you buy a gun? I recall doing that for my slug hunter. Seemed like a low tech gun registry to me at the time.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Quote:

In a perfect world, the long gun registry would have identified the last legal owner of the gun atleast... Even if it was stolen, that gives a place to start atleast, that would probably save a lot of investigation time now.

Do we still have to sign a book at the gun shop when you buy a gun? I recall doing that for my slug hunter. Seemed like a low tech gun registry to me at the time.

That assumes the gun was ever purchased or registered in Canada, which it may not have been. Also, IIRC, he's from Quebec, which still has the registry.

Likely, if the gun was indeed stolen from a Canadian, it would have been reported and the serial # on it would match with a case on file. I guess we'll find out in the next few days or weeks if that was the case.

Otherwise, like with most of the hand guns, it is very possible this rifle came from somewhere in the US.

The book is for the local police and OPP/RCMP to reference so they know who purchased a particular rifle or ammunition (or both) if something happens in a specific area. So yeah, in a way, it is somewhat like a registry, but a far cheaper one, as it requires no money from the government to exist.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
It seems a Canadian custom to, instead of pursuing and punishing the criminals and attacking the ROOT of the problem, just try and legislate something away. Which has proven time and time again to never work. It can't work due to the definition of a criminal! The only people who are going to follow the new law are the same people currently following the old laws, which are the people who are not criminals!

I assure you, the Canadians don't have a monopoly on legislative fantasies...this fallacy that if we put a law to books, people targeted by that law (people who already break other laws, mind you) will obey it. This simply won't happen -- it's just part of living in a world full of human beings. Some of us color inside the lines. Some of us color outside the lines. Always have, always will.

Originally Posted By: westwind999
Originally Posted By: CT8
It is said armed society is a polite society.

Canadian's are plenty polite without being armed, thankyou.

I said that.
That soldier would say different if he could. Polite?

Perhaps some of those so completely against private gun ownership as specified in the American Constitution should consider a visit to the NRA web site.

They even post the stories you will NEVER see on the news where concealed carriers have saved lives or stopped crimes in progress.

It happens more often than you think because it is not on the media agenda..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back