Canadian Tire's Motomaster Filter Flip-flop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was at Canadian Tire yesterday. I noticed that the house-brand Motomaster filter has changed yet again. It looks to be manufactured by Fram again. Said "Made In Canada" on the box. The filter is now painted completely red and comes in a box instead of the shrink wrap. The box shows a diagram of the filter and shows cardboard end caps. The shelf was still stocked with the old Fram made white filters, the Chinese BB Filter white filters and the new red boxes.

Weird that they switched from Fram to BB Filter and then back again in such a short period of time. I wonder if the Chinese-made filter was a dud?

I remember when I would change the oil in my tercel and I needed the filter, I would pick up the canadian tire brand cause I knew It was made by fram (now that Im on bitog) Iknow better) anyway I also noticed that the white oil filters were made in china and the black writing on it looked sloppy too. Also very light in weight "I said to myself no way!! put it back on the shelf.

Then I discoverd WIX!! WAS even cheaper at napa.I pay 4 bucks for the cheapest one which is even better than the 7 doller fram they want at c.c. Well at least they gone back to domestic made.

Canadian Tire is one company that tries to buy as much NA product as they can. Having said that it is likey thaT Fram gave them a lower price when they tendered that order/contract

Last edited:
I noticed the same thing. I like the new red can look.... and no, I don't have a problem with *most* Fram oil filters.

Originally Posted By: Cxserver
These filters look different in side. Side by side they look like the fram filter. $5 here in red deer ab. $1 cheaper than the fram haha.

Who is going to be the first to cut one open?
whistle.gif

Originally Posted By: menezes
I remember when I would change the oil in my tercel and I needed the filter, I would pick up the canadian tire brand cause I knew It was made by fram (now that Im on bitog) Iknow better) anyway I also noticed that the white oil filters were made in china and the black writing on it looked sloppy too. Also very light in weight "I said to myself no way!! put it back on the shelf.

I found the exact opposite, the made in China filters they were selling for a while were a lot heavier than the Fram made ones. That's because they used a thicker outer shell and metal endcaps.

The red is pretty. I've been using Wix filters for the Grand Vitara and the Toyota Pickup but I decided for the next oil change to go with O.E. for these two trucks. The O.E. Toyota filter is made in Thailand. The O.E. Suzuki filter is made in China. The work pants I wear when I change the oil are made in Mexico.

I just used one of these new MM filters on my Tribute a couple of weeks ago. Still love the bright red colour, not that you see that a lot, LOL!

One thing I noticed is that on the discription on the box, they make some claim about 'synthetic blend' media.....could this filter have better media that the bottom-rung Fram?

I'm on the red bandwagon too! And I like that they are made in Canada, just wish that most of them looked a little better when someone cuts one open.

Interesting note about the media addy. Do any of the Fram variations say this, like the TG? Would be a good deal to get a TG equivalent for a buck less than an EG!

That would be nice. I'm not getting my hopes up - I think this filter is actually a re-labelled 'Defence' filter...the real cheapie from Fram.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back