Canadian border is open

With everything going on I'm amazed how many people want to travel for non essential reasons.
Northern Ontario summers are some of the best on the planet imo.
Low humidity, temps in the low 80s, clean water, fresh air and no one around.
The summer window is very narrow, that's the downside.
I get it why Americans want to travel to their camps and cottages in Canada.

Reactions: JTK
This will probably be locked soon.

With everything going on I'm amazed how many people want to travel for non essential reasons.
People face and prioritize risks differently. Not all health concerns are physical. Not all risks are health risks.

To have a central authority put one risk at the top of everyone's priority list is just as irresponsible as those who suggest the risk doesn't exist.

Not everyone faces the same circumstance, meaning a one-size fits all solution doesn't.

That's about as close as I can get to the point without going political.

Human nature is to want everyone to be focused on me and my risks. Likewise, we tend to ignore the risks of others.

In the aggregate, if we let people manage their own individual risks, I believe we have better outcomes than if we allow a few to set the priority list for all.

We'll see the aftermath of all the ignored risks. Including the risks of choosing unsustainable mitigation strategies. I.E. people get fed up and bust out of their cabins with that cabin fever, possibly not taking any precautions at all.

There was no strike. They came to an agreement the Friday before the border reopened.
Not sure your post reflected the spirit of the comment:

I read an article that trucks were backed up for many hours, and passenger vehicles told not to try and cross, and the border guards were following every screening action to a "T", which was not normal or typical.

Delays at the Canada-U.S. border have slowed commercial crossings to a crawl, government data shows, as Canadian border staff begin work-to-rule strike action in the midst of contract negotiations with the federal government.

The wait time for commercial traffic across the Pacific Highway crossing between Surrey, British Columbia, and Blaine, Washington, was up to over five hours as of Friday evening, according to government data. The Ambassador Bridge between Windsor, Ontario, and Detroit, Michigan, the busiest land crossing between the two countries, had wait times of two and a half hours.

Well, I have Louisiana plates. And, if you remember your history, us Cajuns are descendants from Nova Scotia. The French traveled to N.S., settled, and were kicked out. So, they moved to Louisiana and became Cajuns. So, that means I'm still welcomed up there. I think. :unsure:
Oh, and, my last name has been traced back to France 1423.
During the second wave, they were deported to Britain and France, and from there a significant number migrated to Spanish Louisiana, where "Acadians" eventually became "Cajuns". Acadians fled initially to Francophone colonies such as Canada, the uncolonized northern part of Acadia, Île Saint-Jean (now Prince Edward Island), and Île Royale (now Cape Breton Island). During the second wave of the expulsion, these Acadians were either imprisoned or deported.

I read an article that trucks were backed up for many hours, and passenger vehicles told not to try and cross, and the border guards were following every screening action to a "T", which was not normal or typical.

Delays at the Canada-U.S. border have slowed commercial crossings to a crawl, government data shows, as Canadian border staff begin work-to-rule strike action in the midst of contract negotiations with the federal government.

The wait time for commercial traffic across the Pacific Highway crossing between Surrey, British Columbia, and Blaine, Washington, was up to over five hours as of Friday evening, according to government data. The Ambassador Bridge between Windsor, Ontario, and Detroit, Michigan, the busiest land crossing between the two countries, had wait times of two and a half hours.

The strike action ended late Friday and they had to clear up the backlog. Still, there are issues about proving immunizations so I wouldn’t expect things to run real smooth for a while.

From the screen shot of this USAToday article you have to submit your vaccination proof 72 hours in advance.

5D71E570-450C-41A2-863F-99857C2423B7.jpg

There is also a testing requirement. You have to get tested negative in the USA less than 72 hours before traveling. You can bring the result in person on paper. The test and the result document have to meet certain standards which are explained on the website.

They have a decent filter of vaxxed people and require negative Covid test to travel as US citizen to Canada.

My wife wants to go soon visit a close friend in Quebec.

Back