Can you refuse a recall?

Is that a 750 Holley 3310? Why no choke? Is the blade still on the air horn?
Put an E choke kit on it and be done - and happy.

- Ken a.k.a "Al, The Mechanic"

Don't know but don't see how you would put a choke on this.

IMG_0204.JPG

Ford would laugh in my face if I sent them an invoice for a Chevy part on a 35 year old car.
Ooops, I meant Chevy. They should reimburse you for the part and repair cost if it's a valid recall (which it seems to be). I don't think they "expire" either.

I still haven't performed the GM ignition cylinder thing where the fix was an insert into the key:
View attachment 139146

I've already replaced the ignition switch (which is the proper fix) so I don't need the recall. I've offered to bring a key and the recall card by a local GM dealer, and for some reason they say that I have to bring in the whole car, which I find objectionable.
I forgot about that one! I get postcards about my Cobalt but I suppose it is for that one as well as the steering assist motor I mentioned earlier.

For the record, I has issues with my steering assist more years ago (like 10+) so I replaced it myself with a new one from the parts deopartment. A five-minute fix. It's been good ever since so so far so good. This was done before the recall was announced.

When I had my F-150, the dealer said they had to do them and didn’t give me a choice when it was in for service. With my RAM 1500, I have asked them not to do them and they are fine with it. One of them was a stupid tightening of the wiper arm nuts to form them around the splines (did it myself) and the other was a software update to address an issue with the rear camera not being displayed when you go into reverse. I haven’t seen an issue with it in my 15K miles and I don’t want to introduce new bugs with a software update. My attitude is if it ain’t broke…

If I see a problem then I’ll have it addressed, or if it is a real safety concern that I can’t handle myself. So many of these recalls are stupid and affect something like .0001% of the cars built.

The previous Corvette with the built in dashcam, used for racing, also had it activate during valet mode. Chevy issued an update (maybe a recall?) to disable the dashcam recording during valet mode. That's one update I would like to avoid.

One of them was a stupid tightening of the wiper arm nuts to form them around the splines (did it myself) and the other was a software update to address an issue with the rear camera not being displayed when you go into reverse.
Were those actual recalls (issued by the NTSB) or TSBs from the automaker ?

It's a seat belt buckle. I'd list that as probably a top priority in my vehicle. Seriously have you lost your marbles. Get it fixed.

If you're worried about your car, insist on being present at all times. When I take my car in, I can watch them drive it from the lot to the bay, and out and park it.

Are you for real? You have a DEFECTIVE seatbelt buckle. A critical life saving device. Fix it.
Presumably @atikovi has purchased the recalled seatbelt and installed it himself... or he has reviewed the nature of the failure and concluded his is nothing close to failing. I understand NOT wanting the full slew of recalls to be carried out.

You buy a certain vehicle, possibly on the basis of its combination of power and economy. If a powertrain recall is carried out, it just may, effectively, change the vehicle you bought into one that you would not buy... And you can't go backwards. They won't restore what you had. No thank-you, not for this cowboy.

The extreme example is VW, with dieselgate. It was, plain and simple, totally immoral (in my view) what VW did. But the "fixed" turbodiesels markedly changed the performance/economy balance of the car
Prior, it was totally a hoot; I drove one. I have no experience with the "afterwards"... but I understand it was not the same car.

I don't know what I'd do in that case... Maybe sell it as is...

No, I stay away from dealerships for servicing my cars, as much as I am able to.

Were those actual recalls (issued by the NTSB) or TSBs from the automaker ?

Safety recalls, not TSBs. Dealers generally won’t make a TSB known unless you have a complaint. Most normies don’t even hear about the TSB at all.

Again, some are stupid and worth skipping and others make sense. My F-150 had one around the seatbelt pretensioners setting fire to the truck by igniting insulation in the B pillar. I had that addressed but I was certainly not happy about all of the stuff that had to be taken apart. As long as you wait some time to have it fixed, the dealer will have done the same fix a thousand times and can do a good job of it. Just don’t be the first in line. If you are concerned, document your vehicle’s condition in the dealer parking lot before handing it over. Take photos of the inside and outside and all the wheels (curb rash). Clean it up first.

Last edited:
I see a lot of people act like TSBs are the same as recalls and demand that a dealer "fix" their vehicle per the TSB, including after warranty (and for free). It's like, no, this document describes a known or common issue and it's to save technicians time in diagnosing it, maybe it references newer revisions for the part(s) that need replaced, etc.

Over the years I have seen folks call a TSB a "silent recall"
Obviously thats not what they are but someone's Brother in laws next door neighbors cousin told them so its ironclad.

I see a lot of people act like TSBs are the same as recalls and demand that a dealer "fix" their vehicle per the TSB, including after warranty (and for free). It's like, no, this document describes a known or common issue and it's to save technicians time in diagnosing it, maybe it references newer revisions for the part(s) that need replaced, etc.
I had exhaust leak on my Toyota Yaris. Smelled terrible getting on the highway. Dealer refused a repair, later a TSB came out and they still refused. Then I called Toyota and got a letter approving the install of a new header and catalyst. This about a year after the UPROAR about the stuck toyota accelerators. Dealer STILL balked. I ended up trading it, as I saw one of the last, new std cab stick shift Ford Rangers for sale in 2011. Sadly That ended up being a mistake. Nice truck though in concept. - Ken

They have to duplicate the condition. I said it happens to me most times accelerating getting on the highway, I don't care if your tech smells it or not. I have this pre-authorised from touoya customer care. I don't think they liked my cocky-ness.

They wouldn't even fix a spongy pedal, air in the brake lines or ABS. the writer said toyota sent out a SB not to bleed brakes. Idiots! The old GM style REFUSE warranty service unless a part falls off. Save teh company $$$$$ and loose customers but theyer are plenty of new lollipops lined up to buy.

A safety item and doesn't want it performed. That's quite frankly unbelievable.....

They have to duplicate the condition. I said it happens to me most times accelerating getting on the highway, I don't care if your tech smells it or not.
Ahhhh, well, I can understand that part, that they have to confirm it occurs 'cause it doesn't always. What if you took the tech and kidnapped him/her ! When he/she said they don't smell anything, keep driving.... until they agree, "yeah, okay, I smell it now" !! 😂

Back