Can you refuse a recall?

If i want to get service done at the dealership but there are active recalls out on the vehicle does the dealer by law have to do the recall or can i tell them not to do a certain recall that I dont want done because it involves drilling and removing parts from the vehicle?

The dealer doesn't have a choice. They are required by law to do the recalls on every vehicle presented to them, IF they have the parts and the time. If you choose not to take it in for a recall you are assuming liability for any damages that may result. I understand why you would want to pass on having a recall done, I have felt that way about a couple of recalls that I have had done, I wish it was back the way it was. The fact is that the dealer may very well want to take the customer pay business and forgo doing any recalls. Just tell them that you will make another appointment to have the recalls done (they will likely want you to do this anyway).

California, IIRC, requires recalls to be done to renew registrations. Might just be for emissions related ones.

I should save the postcards I get over the passenger airbag in my 08 silverado. Noone ever sits there!

I don't technically know the answer. I suspect there's probably a requirement at a dealership level, with huge liability exposure if they don't perform it.

From the consumer standpoint, you probably assume all responsibility after recall notice and you don't do it.

I cannot even picture a scenario where I voluntarily don't want a recall item fixed or replaced. Can't come up with any situation where a known defective product is preferable to a non-defective one, when there's no cost difference to me, knowing the defective one puts ME in the liability seat. No cost. Safer/better product. Liability back on the company. Yes, every time.

You have to get it done. The car makers does not want any lawsuits. It is for your own safety and also to get the full potential of your car.

Your best bet would be to ask the dealer, they may be required to but they may also be able to have you sign a document taking full responsibility.

I am not sure what the recall is but keep in mind you are possibly not only putting yourself at risk but other people on the road.

I cannot even picture a scenario where I voluntarily don't want a recall item fixed or replaced. Can't come up with any situation where a known defective product is preferable to a non-defective one, when there's no cost difference to me, knowing the defective one puts ME in the liability seat. No cost. Safer/better product. Liability back on the company. Yes, every time.

My 1988 Camaro has this recall,
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

1 Unrepaired Recallsassociated with this VIN​

Dec 27,1990
Manufacturer Recall NumberN900043
NHTSA Recall Number90V105000
Recall StatusRecall Incomplete
SummaryGeneral Motors of Canada has determined that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists in some 1984-90 Chevrolet Camaro and Pontiac Firebird model vehicles. Some seat belt buckle assemblies in affected vehicles may not latch, or may not release, due to fracture of the red push button which can occur during seat belt connection or disconnection.

Safety RiskThese buckle malfunctions would prevent a person from using their seat belt system and the risk of injury to an unbelted person in an accident would be increased.

RemedyTo correct this condition, all involved vehicles will have the pushbutton assemblies replaced and have a protector shield added (except for certain 1989 and all 1990 vehicles which have revised lower cover ramps and as a result do not need protectors). Also, any buckle assemblies which are found not to function correctly, or which have fractured pushbuttons, will be replaced.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I'm not too comfortable just handing over the key to the dealer service department on a car with this under the hood,

IMG_0199.JPG

SummaryGeneral Motors of Canada has determined that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists in some 1984-90 Chevrolet Camaro and Pontiac Firebird model vehicles. Some seat belt buckle assemblies in affected vehicles may not latch, or may not release, due to fracture of the red push button which can occur during seat belt connection or disconnection.

Safety RiskThese buckle malfunctions would prevent a person from using their seat belt system and the risk of injury to an unbelted person in an accident would be increased.

RemedyTo correct this condition, all involved vehicles will have the pushbutton assemblies replaced and have a protector shield added (except for certain 1989 and all 1990 vehicles which have revised lower cover ramps and as a result do not need protectors). Also, any buckle assemblies which are found not to function correctly, or which have fractured pushbuttons, will be replaced.

It's a seat belt buckle. I'd list that as probably a top priority in my vehicle. Seriously have you lost your marbles. Get it fixed.

If you're worried about your car, insist on being present at all times. When I take my car in, I can watch them drive it from the lot to the bay, and out and park it.

Are you for real? You have a DEFECTIVE seatbelt buckle. A critical life saving device. Fix it.

Appears to be keeping the car from catching on fire if the engine lets go?

I assume because its a safety recall, there obligated to do it? Just a guess on my part.

The Details​

Vehicles Recalled
• 2020-2022 Ford Escape hybrids and plug-in hybrids.
• 2020-2022 Lincoln Corsair hybrids and plug-in hybrids.
• 2022 Ford Maverick hybrids.
The problem: An engine failure could release oil and/oil fuel vapor under the hood that could make its way near hot surfaces or other potential ignition sources.
The fix: Dealers will modify the under-engine shield and active grille shutter.

It's a seat belt buckle. I'd list that as probably a top priority in my vehicle. Seriously have you lost your marbles. Get it fixed.

If you're worried about your car, insist on being present at all times. When I take my car in, I can watch them drive it from the lot to the bay, and out and park it.

Are you for real? You have a DEFECTIVE seatbelt buckle. A critical life saving device. Fix it.
I can tell if the seat belt buckle isn't engaged for the 1 in a million chance it fails to engage during the 20 or 30 miles I might drive it a month. If it doesn't engage, I don't worry about it too much. And 50 years ago hardly anyone used seat belts, yet we managed to survive.

My 1988 Camaro has this recall,

1 Unrepaired Recallsassociated with this VIN​

Dec 27,1990
Manufacturer Recall NumberN900043
NHTSA Recall Number90V105000
Recall StatusRecall Incomplete

I'm not too comfortable just handing over the key to the dealer service department on a car with this under the hood,

View attachment 139026
It’s just a small block Chevy, it’s only mildly more interesting performance wise than a modern V6 Camaro.

It’s just a small block Chevy, it’s only mildly more interesting performance wise than a modern V6 Camaro.
No choke on the carb. Hard to start at 70°F, real hard at 50. I don't want some 25 year old tech who never even saw a carburetor, burn up the starter trying to get it running. The last two times I've had cars in for recalls, both for passenger airbags, they cracked the dash on both cars.

Appears to be keeping the car from catching on fire if the engine lets go?

I assume because its a safety recall, there obligated to do it? Just a guess on my part.

The Details​

Vehicles Recalled
• 2020-2022 Ford Escape hybrids and plug-in hybrids.
• 2020-2022 Lincoln Corsair hybrids and plug-in hybrids.
• 2022 Ford Maverick hybrids.
The problem: An engine failure could release oil and/oil fuel vapor under the hood that could make its way near hot surfaces or other potential ignition sources.
The fix: Dealers will modify the under-engine shield and active grille shutter.
Yep that’s the recall. And i totally get the safety aspect but there is always the potential for a fire when an engine lets go.

I can tell if the seat belt buckle isn't engaged for the 1 in a million chance it fails to engage during the 20 or 30 miles I might drive it a month. If it doesn't engage, I don't worry about it too much. And 50 years ago hardly anyone used seat belts, yet we managed to survive.
Hey, you do you. FYI, it's due to vehicle safety improvements that fatalities are about 10% of what they were in pre-seatbelt eras per miles driven. We have like 10x the cars/miles but like 1/3rd the fatalities. But drive with a knowingly recalled possibly nonworking seatbelt...

No choke on the carb. Hard to start at 70°F, real hard at 50. I don't want some 25 year old tech who never even saw a carburetor, burn up the starter trying to get it running. The last two times I've had cars in for recalls, both for passenger airbags, they cracked the dash on both cars.
Then take it in during the summer?

Sorry, this got derailed by someone else injecting an unrelated recall item.

My best advice would be to have a conversation with the service manager and express your concerns and ask for some special "white glove" treatment. Custom engine, you want to observe, and all that. I'm highly confident they'd work with you b/c THEY don't want to be on the hook for problems. They'll probably document it more than you even think necessary.

Back