Can you ID this old gun?

Status
Not open for further replies.
gn93.jpg

Remington Browning model 11. I got one hanging on my wall. The one I got was manufactured, by the serial numbers, I think in 1914. Before, I thought they even had autos. If I am wrong, I take it down off the wall and check it.

It's a Remington semi-automatic- Model 8?? They were chambered for the Remington Rimless rounds, and IIRC Texas Ranger Frank Hamer owned, carried, & used one to help put an end to Bonnie & Clyde. Still odd looking even today, the Remington auto rifles were, power-wise, *Far* ahead of the old early Wn auto that was chambered for the .351 Win cartridge- a straight-sided, relatively weak "pop-gun" round compared to the .35 Rem.

The Remington Rimless rounds & the popular Winchester rimmed cartridges they corresponded to:

.25 Rem ~ .25-35 Win
.30 Rem ~ .30-30 Win
.32 Rem ~ .32 Win Special
And then there was the:
.35 Remington - no direct Winchester counterpart. The .35 Rem is still chambered in new rifles today, the Marlin lever action for one. Another factoid- the case of the .30 Rem is the basis for the new .270 cal(6.7mm?) military special/experimental round that can be chambered in the M-16s & their variants without requiring a whole new rifle to be built around it.

Not bad for some short/mid range woods cartridges designed 100 yrs ago, huh?
grin.gif

Yep, it's a Remington Model 8. Another Browning long-recoil design like the Model 11.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
I had no idea, they even made a model 8. the humpback gave me the Browning design.

Oh, yeah. Those were the days when Winchester was trying to find its way without John Browning designing their guns. Winchester's early attempts (Model 1907 and 1910) at a semi-auto sporting rifle were pathetic in comparison to the Model 8.

Originally Posted By: Stuart Hughes

And then there was the:
.35 Remington - no direct Winchester counterpart.

I have a .35, it's a Model 14 pump with a tubular magazine.
My favourite rifle.
Thanks Grandad...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back