Can you help me better understand why women want a SUV over a sedan?

The major auto makers in this country have all but killed their sedans. The marketplace has spoken. Nothing hard to understand here or anything that is mysterious. Vehicle buyers who prefer CUV/SUVs cover a wide age spectrum.

My wife thought differently, after driving soccer mom SUV's she wanted a cool sedan, traded in her 2015 GMC Terrain DENALI for a 2017 Buick Regal GS, made me smile. :cool:
8abcdef8f0d8cf02089fca003bfc3844.png

DBDCA1D9-53F5-4D71-8D21-98E7446F91A2.jpeg.daf395747d70301605281c2fb5c51cfd.jpeg

There was an answer for this Car or SUV quandary…
Boomers will remember

STATION WAGONS! We had an 850 Turbo Wagon. Drove like a car..hauled like a SUV. Cars like BMW M3 wagons exist, but not in the USA.

Also the reason why short gals want “better visibility“ is all the other gals driving SUVs and Duallys in front of them.

Yep, you read that right, read it again, station wagons, then head for the eye bleach young wippersnappers! 😉

I don't like getting into low roof height sedans. You either put you butt in first and swing legs in or stretch across to get in and all this is not very dignified for ladies or me. The small SUV/COVs offer you a much better choice on getting in or exiting. In addition, I prefer the higher setting. The only down sides is they use more fuel at highway speeds and in an accident, they are more prone to roll-overs. I really like my MAZDA CX5 SUV

My 27 year old daughter will not drive an SUV/CUV. She's more of a car enthusiast and prefers a more engaging drive experience. I bought her first car, a Passat 1.8T.
She purchased the next two on her own, a 328i xdrive and now the 430i.

I don't like getting into low roof height sedans. You either put you butt in first and swing legs in or stretch across to get in and all this is not very dignified for ladies or me. The small SUV/COVs offer you a much better choice on getting in or exiting. In addition, I prefer the higher setting. The only down sides is they use more fuel at highway speeds and in an accident, they are more prone to roll-overs. I really like my MAZDA CX5 SUV
Yes-the CUVs have the height so you don't have to fold yourself in to them. The hip swivel point is what it's called.

Heaven forbid a kid has to get into the back seat of a 2 door. My parents only had 2 door cars when I was a kid. Also safer with no chance of them opening a door and falling out on the road.
When I was about 4, I did exactly that, luckily at low speed. A few months later, my parents bought a two-door car, so nobody could fall out of the back. They didn't replace it with a four-door until my youngest sibling was nearly 7.

I owned only two-door cars myself until relatively recently (2014). I never had as much difficulty getting in and out of the back of 2-doors as getting in an out of small 4-doors that don't have enough space for size 13 feet to pass between the rear seat and the door opening.

Tin foil hat on: easier than ever to finance your way into something big and expensive--and heavy. Then have no money to keep it in good shape (tires and brakes).

Sometimes I wonder if the reason that Virginia has a vehicle safety inspection is that they know this state is filled with too many people who'd rather spend their last $10 on 6-pack instead of a headlight bulb.

A friend of mine's Daughter wants a vehicle for her 16th bithday, and asked for my help. I located a flooded MB AWD sedan, that I can rebuild and probably have to her for $2k out the door (see picture). Her response was she does not want a sedan, and would take a worse shape little SUV, like a Toyota RAV4.

Yesterday, when I arrived home from a week long work trip, first thing I was told walking in the door was my middle Son's wife told my Wife she wants a SUV. I said, I can get her a sedan for free (I will pay for it), response back- has to be a SUV.

What am I missing here? Why is a small SUV so important to a woman in her 20s, and a 16 year old, over a nice sedan, at a deep savings or for free?

View attachment 152225
A flooded MB is worse than walking imo. The awd small suv is very smart. It is viable for everything at all life stages.

When I was a kid in the late 60s/early 70s, the essence of a US car - especially sedans - here in Germany was, that it is basically a living room you can drive around.
It was all about comfort at cruising speed - nothing sporty about it. You could even have a huge sofa as front seats, cause - let's be real - that thing drives like a rubber boat with outboard motor on a syrup lake. You not gonna see any G-forces going around a corner, that would warrant bucket seats. We had a 1967 Buick station wagon back than, and I loved it. Compared to that, the tiny German sedans at that time, looked like toys that could fit in the back of our Buick.

Fast forward 55 years - I still love spacious, not sporty cars. I want to get in and out with dignity and ease,, not climbing out or crawling in like an animal. I couldn't care less about anything race-carish, I still want a comfortable driving living room.
So I had a lot of mini vans over the years, Transport, Voyager, Espace etc. - well they don't make em anymore - so the next best thing is a SUV. And I guess that's the reason why a lot of folks like SUVs.

Another data point for ride height. Other preferences include AWD, Rear DVD, Power liftgate for easy loading, cargo room, third row seat.

She will never understand how long it takes to cool that hotbox on a hot summer day.

One of the fringe benefits of owning a Fiero is giving rides to friends who own SUVs and seeing their terror when it looks like every other vehicle on the road could run us over like we're just another speed bump.

I never liked SUV's. Most are gas guzzlers that are small on the inside and large on the outside.
But women tend to be more praticle then men. You might want to convince her that a sedan is more practicle.

Back