Can you have a failing o2 sensor with no check engine light?

Also i should i looked at the values before i changed O2 sensor, but how do these look? I should get a better scan tool i know lol.

The volts readings change instantly on O2S11 & O2S12 now, where i'd assume the O2S12 was slow?

Also these readings are @ 2,000 RPMS.

Attachments

• IMG_1708.jpeg
    IMG_1708.jpeg
    185.6 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1709.jpeg
    IMG_1709.jpeg
    193.5 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1710.jpeg
    IMG_1710.jpeg
    223.2 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1711.jpeg
    IMG_1711.jpeg
    199.7 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1712.jpeg
    IMG_1712.jpeg
    208 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1713.jpeg
    IMG_1713.jpeg
    220.3 KB · Views: 17
A good sensor cycles three times per second. Not many readers can keep up unless you data log and then a cheap interface still cripples it.

So O2S1 should be cycling between a minimum of .005v and around a max of .750v. If it's stuck or doesn't go to the extremes then it's slowing down.

The O2S2 should be fairly stable when cruising in closed loop at constant throttle of around 90% -95% of your peak O2S1 voltage.

Hi again, to update on this, New o2 sensor a couple hundred miles ago, and i gained almost 9 MPG!. No difference in driving style, or fuel. Car even feels more "peppy" under light load.
Before 25.6-26.2 MPG never above that, now its above 34 MPG. (parked it tonight at 34.9)

Attachments

• IMG_1785.jpeg
    IMG_1785.jpeg
    51.6 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1783.jpeg
    IMG_1783.jpeg
    54.7 KB · Views: 7
You can actually remove the second O2 if you can live with the light. Some tuning programs eliminate the light for the lack of a post cat O2. Still have emissions not ready though.

Yes, had a bad Wideband Upstream O2 on the old Forester and it reeked havoc with HP & drivability. Never flashed a CEL just was lazy. Once replaced it was night & day, drove like a brand new car. It was always fairly weather dependent.

the downstream doesn't affect engine running, it's just checking the cat is there and working
On BMW they absolutely do. The DME uses info from both to calibrate the output from the primary.

Even on Honda. Had a CRV with a bad secondary O2. You could clear the faults, start it up, and it would start to run so rich the engine would stall after about 5 mins. Replacing the secondary O2 completely fixed it.

On BMW they absolutely do. The DME uses info from both to calibrate the output from the primary.

Even on Honda. Had a CRV with a bad secondary O2. You could clear the faults, start it up, and it would start to run so rich the engine would stall after about 5 mins. Replacing the secondary O2 completely fixed it.

could be a nox prevention measure?

If they do it's a pretty stupid strategy, IMHO, meant to prolong 'usefulness' of the cat at the expense, strictly an emissions output goal? Seems performance and optimum engine conditions come second place.

I can attest though that a Hyundai will run great without a post cat O2. And on a Hyundai the primary O2 failure will trigger a DTC but it has to be dead, dead, dead.....

Back