Can tires flat spot overnight?

Last night with a temperature of -11 degrees, I experienced flat spotting for the first time.
Cheap tires on an '02 Camry, inflated to 40 PSI, car parked while working.
This went away after a mile or so of low speed driving.
Earlier in the day at 11 above , no change from normal.

I drove a school bus when i was in high school. When it got under 35F the thing would shake for about 5 miles. It had some sort of nylon tires. duel wheels on the back. Always smoothed out after about 3-5 miles.

but only for a block or two
For me, it happens often enough that I actually know about when they smooth out. In my case, it's close to 2 miles. It's "city" traffic so max speed in that stretch won't be higher than 35 mph. Interesting that yours smooths out in only 2 blocks.

For me, it happens often enough that I actually know about when they smooth out. In my case, it's close to 2 miles. It's "city" traffic so max speed in that stretch won't be higher than 35 mph. Interesting that yours smooths out in only 2 blocks.
Mine are on a 18 year old Camry, on bombed out NYC streets
...I may not be the most discerning tire observer 😒
You might be able to feel things that I'm losing to general road texture/noise
Yet my tire shop manager was cursing me out when I was the one to bring to his attention that his balancer was 1/4 oz off 🤨
He was throwing things when the Hunter rep came, and found his alignment rack was 1/4 degree off, vindicating me coming back twice
We laugh about it now 🙂

I had a set of kumho ectsa 4x Ku22's on a 2011 forester.. they actually had great grip and feel.. but the mpg was -15% and they flat spotted like no other
I've had the Kumho Ecsta 4X on my Jag for 4 years. They do flatspot overnight but after ~3 miles of driving they're good. I have not noticed any drop in mpg, though. Perhaps that's something related to the Subie AWD system.

In general, I think flatspotting is more likely to occur on heavy vehicles. I have never felt any tire flatspot on my 2800 lb Toyotas/Pontiacs but on the 3900 lb Jag it's real.

OP case I think its the "Sailun" tires, can't imagine these cheap Chinese tires are not very good in any category outside price for a lease return. I'm not even sure how people find these tires as I don't ever recall seeing some off brand stuff at reputable tire shops.

Anyhow I think it may tie to vehicle weight like someone above said. The Michelin CrossClimate2's on my ID.4 will flat spot even in near freezing temps, only noted it once so far when I immediately hopped on the freeway that is ~½ mile from my complex and cranked it up to 70. Wasn't terrible but could see the vibration in the steering wheel for 2-3 miles while the tires rolled back out to round. These are new tires that did not sit around long before install a few months back.

My ID.4 weighs just north of 4800 lbs. so it has a bit of weight resting on each corner. VW recommended inflation is 42 PSI all around so not far under the max I think is 44 PSI.

Hi all

New here (didn't see an introduction forum section, or would have posted up there).
Stumbled on here looking up about Hunter Road Force balancers.

Anyway, I definitely have had flat spots. For my rides, it seems to be highly dependent on
tire sidewall height and if a performance tire or not.

I have both a 59 Bird with super cheap no name 14's on it and a 79 Bronco with brand new BFG AT 35
(315 anyway) KO2's on it. Both have tall (by today's stds') sidewall heights. Neither flat spot, even after
sitting for 6 months. But my 17 Fusion Sport, with Mich PS AS 3+ tires will flat spot after a couple days
(very low profile on 19" stock rims).

I live less than a mile from a 65 MPH highway, so I really notice it after a cold couple days, getting right on the highway.
I had a bad vibe on my 14 Stang, which turned out to be the rubber insulator on the center bearing of the stock 2 piece
driveshaft. I bought an App called NVH for Android to diagnose the driveshaft vibe and later tried it out for the tires
(after I fixed driveshaft).

I had 255's PS4S front and 295's NT05's rear, so being slightly different dia, app could tell front and rear tire vibration differences.
First "report" was getting right on highway, second report was 8 or 9 miles later. First report shows front and rear
tire, second order vibrations well over 1G. Second report shows them right around .1 G's. They were shaking so bad at first, I think
the app mistook some of the vibes, for engine vibrations (as you can see they dropped from .51 to .12 G's, but should not have changed at all I don't think) . :)

I've tried flat stoppers, with mild success, but even with those and low profile tires. If they sit long enough I still get
significant flat spots.

TIRE%20VIBES%20FLAT%20SPOTTED.jpg

TIRE%20VIBES%20NOT%20FLAT%20SPOTTED.jpg

@OX1 I think you’re right. This 19 Cherokee Limited has 225/60R18 tires. The lowest profile I have owned. I probably why I never noticed this before. The 2006 Escalade with 20 inch wheels never does that. None of my other vehicles do that. The lower profile does seem to handle better. The tires wear more evenly. It’s a nice look. But there are downfalls of big wheels I guess.

@OX1 I think you’re right. This 19 Cherokee Limited has 225/60R18 tires. The lowest profile I have owned. I probably why I never noticed this before. The 2006 Escalade with 20 inch wheels never does that. None of my other vehicles do that. The lower profile does seem to handle better. The tires wear more evenly. It’s a nice look. But there are downfalls of big wheels I guess.
Low profile tires with nylon cap ply are also more likely to flat spot or flat spot worse.

Will that be in the product description so I don’t buy that kind next time?
you want the nylon cap ply it makes the tires handle better and feel better.. ie it resists centrifugal expansion etc.
You can usually avoid the worse of it by avoiding 2nd tier or lower UHP tires.

Back