Can tires flat spot overnight?

Nope unless those tires were superemely underinflated, coupled with low temperatures. But even then I'd say you'd be talking much longer then overnight.

Any odd driving events before parking it that night?
I disagree.

Nope unless those tires were superemely underinflated, coupled with low temperatures. But even then I'd say you'd be talking much longer then overnight.

Any odd driving events before parking it that night?
Nope. Parked after an alignment, wheel balance, road test. Next morning, horrible.

Replace your tires with a premium brand, there should be a significant improvement in flat spotting. Check reviews on
TireRack to see if flat spotting is mentioned for the new tires you're considering.
The OEM Firestone Firehawk tires on my Impala flat spot overnight. The Michelins on my Honda either don't flat spot, or it is barely noticeable. I'm going to ditch the Firehawk's this summer, should have had the dealer replace them when I took delivery of the car.

look at the sidewall and see if you see the belt construction. If you see Nylon and the vibration is the first few miles in the morning that's your issue.

Thanks everyone. I have not owned a vehicle with larger diameter wheels with smaller sidewall tires before. Could that be why am noticing it more? Or is it just cheap tires installed on a lease return. Run them down for a while and replace them with a Michelin, Bridgestone, some name brand?

I have not owned a vehicle with larger diameter wheels with smaller sidewall tires before
It is probably more noticeable with smaller sidewalls.

Do you only notice this in cold temperatures ? I guess you haven't owned it long enough to answer that.... You do say it goes away, so like many have already said, it's not uncommon and it's mostly cold-related. Tires warm up while driving, it goes away, right ? I have 55-series, on a 4000 lb car, and Continental tires (almost $200/each) and this happens on very cold days to me and then goes away. Never happens in warmer temperatures.

Thanks everyone. I have not owned a vehicle with larger diameter wheels with smaller sidewall tires before. Could that be why am noticing it more? Or is it just cheap tires installed on a lease return. Run them down for a while and replace them with a Michelin, Bridgestone, some name brand?
It’s important that you air up the tires, when they are cold. I find myself adding air on the first cold snap. Air your tires up in the morning, before you move the car.
I believe that your Jeep calls for 33 psi front and rear. Bump it up to 35 psi all around.

To keep tires from flat spotting while sitting for periods of time. Fill tires to maximum pressure. This is why manufacturers keep tires at maximum pressure and dealerships keep the tires there if the vehicle is going to sit.
A service tech I know mentioned Toyota pumps their tires beyond max PSI on the sidewall when shipping their vehicles, so if it sits on the lot, nothing happens. They mentioned its common for their new stock to come in at 50 PSI on tires listed at 44 PSI being maximum.

FWIW

If the cheapo tires are the final cause, and everything else is sound, then I recommend replacement with Michs, its the ultimate tire. There are of course other brands that work as well, but you'd have to ask the vehicle specific forums for recommendations.

So far, no one has told you how to fix the problem. Add 5 psi. Did it fix it? If yes, drop 1 psi until the problem comes back. That' s the minimum pressure you need.
It happens to a lesser extent yes. The placard says 33. I had them at 35. The tire shop had them at look like 37. It’s cooler now so they went down. But that has me wondering. The tire shop is close to the house. I should probably drive around for a while before dropping it off next time.

Cold mornings PSI adjustments are optimum, but my rule of thumb has been, at least with TPMS systems just understand the cold vs hot variation %.

Normally a tire after being used will go up a certain % PSI, so if I have to fill up my tires after driving, I'll just use that adjustment.

If the door is 32, I notice after using the vehicle, it goes to a max 35, then during that time period I'll fill up 35. Check it cold, and usually is good.

My neighbor doesnt drive often, and his door jamb says 32 as well, but since he runs the risk of flat spotting, just maxes out at 40 PSI. Rides on rails, but with less then 1k/annual tires are still good as new.

I have BFG's, Bridgestone's, and Toyos on rigs that sit for days at a time. No noticeable flat spots.

In my experience with new Conti DWS tires on a Honda 3.0L Accord, the answer is yes. More so during cold temps. Morning vibration intolerable and sustained for a significant period of driving. Returned the tires to DT during the 30 day satisfaction period. Only tires I've ever returned. As for psi, run placard ~+2, never a problem before or since. That includes first replacement Michelin Primacy MXV4, and current General RT43s.

Last edited:
Wonder what the flat spots are going to be like on Saturday . I’m near Nashua.

Attachments

• 0A3B7934-C011-4BCA-9F14-180B1CB25A0A.jpeg
    0A3B7934-C011-4BCA-9F14-180B1CB25A0A.jpeg
    144.2 KB · Views: 9
I had s set of General UHP all seasons that would fast spot in the winter over night and need to get warm to smooth out. Certainly possible.

-5F sitting overnight is when mine go thump tump thump down the road for the first 1/4 mile

If it's cold enough, say below 15º F, and my car is parked outside for ~8 hours (at work), I'll often have thump-thump-thump for a bit on the drive home. My tires are Continental Pure Contacts so not really "cheap" tires.
My ExtremeContact DWS⁰⁶ and DWS⁰⁶ ᵖˡᵘˢ all do this, but only for a block or two, and only after a really cold soak overnight

Back