Can Oil be changed too much?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Yes it sure can be changed too often. Some of the additives that are quickly burned off after new oil is put in the engine can be harmful to the catalytic converter. Which isn't cheap to replace. Change when the manufacturer says to.

Say Again!
33.gif

Originally Posted By: ArazelEternal
Ive been trying to decide myself how often I should change the oil in my van (in my sig). It takes about 7 months for me to accumulate 3000 miles. My daily commute to work is about 14 miles (13 of which are highway) and really doesnt get any more than that put on it for the most part. I live in Wisconsin where summers can sometimes hit 100, and winters can get down to -30.

My owners manual would consider this severe service which it recommends OCIs of 3000 miles or 3 months. I think I am going to start going to 3 month OCIs at least to start with. This next change, I plan on doing a UOA to see how it looks. This thread and others I have looked at helped me to decide that.

From what Ive always understood, changing the oil too often would do more damage to the wallet than anything else.

You have no warranty to concern yourself with, other than the lube warranty, if that matters to you.

Frankly one OCI annually would be well more than enough. Some of us have done OCIs at 2 and 3 years for low mileage vehicles; UOAs show no risk here.

Frequent OCIs won't harm your equipment, but they also are not going to help it, either. There's absolutely no proof (real tangible documented evidence) that frequent OCIs reduce wear. The only thing frequent OCIs will affect is your wallet.

+1
smile.gif
Mr Newton speaks the truth. Anything short of 5K unless running off road in the desert is just $$ going out the window.

I never look at the calendar, only mileage/hours. Trucks on the farm have gone 5 years between oil changes. They're still running, and some are 50+ years old ...

Everyone is going to have their own opinion on this. Based on oil analysis I've seen on my vehicles I have had the months in sump has little effect on oil I've had oil with little milage and long term around 15 months and it analyzed just fine. I also believe OLM are pretty accurate atleast for GM. I do think GM let's tbn run little to low for my liking but it works.

I stick to my 6k cause oil is cheap and dmax engine isnt.

I ran oil in my 2006 Dmax for up to three years, 11k miles, all on dino 10w-30 Rotella. Pulling RV in the Rockies and desert south-west.
UOAs posted here on BIToG showed absolutely no issues whatsoever.

Oil does not care how old it is.

Changing oil frequently won't ever hurt equipment. It will most certainly hurt one's wallet vs. the alternative.
The only thing worse than wasting oil is wasting oil after paying for a UOA that tells you to continue using it.
But I digress ...

Originally Posted By: dnewton3

The only thing worse than wasting oil is wasting oil after paying for a UOA that tells you to continue using it.
But I digress ...

Hilarious and true Dave!

UD

Originally Posted By: UncleDave
Originally Posted By: dnewton3

But I digress ...

Hilarious and true Dave!

UD

Lol there is alot of truth to that, hence why I haven't even bothered doing UOA on this new truck I already know it's going to show high levels of wear in. Not running analysis till like 20-30k. Just make sure wear is normal. Every year I might run one uoa just check engine condition.

Originally Posted By: Shata
Everyone is going to have their own opinion on this. Based on oil analysis I've seen on my vehicles I have had the months in sump has little effect on oil I've had oil with little milage and long term around 15 months and it analyzed just fine. I also believe OLM are pretty accurate atleast for GM. I do think GM let's tbn run little to low for my liking but it works.

I stick to my 6k cause oil is cheap and dmax engine isnt.

Accurate for short trippers. It lands short at 7,500 miles by default, at Long Drain Conditions.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Leaving the oil in any of my vehicles for three years would be sheer stupidity.

Leaving the oil in the grossly oversized walking frame that some choose to use their vehicles for for three years...you will cause absolutely ZERO issues during your period of ownership changing the oil at the 0% mark.

You aren't driving it for 300,000 miles at 0.5MPH are you ?

Why? Even in a higher humidity environment, the pipes at pcv aren´t so short to get as much moisture inside the engine. The volume and lenght of the pipes are long and having enough volume to permit the Delta T breathing without external air to contact internal pocket or the cranckcase belly of the engine. And its also protected by the airbox and filter. It´s not an open cup there. It forms no current as a semi closed system with just one passage. Unless the TBN or antirust add is depleted a normal and good low annual miles running engine could go 3 years easy.

Edit: You said YOUR engines. Smart move!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Hammehead

Leaving the oil in the grossly oversized walking frame that some choose to use their vehicles for for three years...you will cause absolutely ZERO issues during your period of ownership changing the oil at the 0% mark.

Why? Even in a higher humidity environment, the pipes at pcv aren´t so short to get as much moisture inside the engine. The volume and lenght of the pipes are long and having enough volume to permit the Delta T breathing without external air to contact internal pocket or the cranckcase belly of the engine. And its also protected by the airbox and filter. It´s not an open cup there. It forms no current as a semi closed system with just one passage. Unless the TBN or antirust add is depleted a normal and good low annual miles running engine could go 3 years easy.

Read it in context of the "debate"...

Originally Posted By: billt460
Because similarly...you could drive that vehicle down to 0% on the OLM, and cause zero issues in your remaining period of ownership,

So now you are defending the sheer stupidity of leaving oil in an engine for 3 years.

I was defending the use of the factory OLM, in low use applications per the course of the thread.

3 years in my vehicles is 50-60,000km...the OLM would pull me up at 16,000 in the Colorado, and I'd change it at 10 in the Captiva.

Your Colorado and Captiva (GM OLMs) are made before 2013 to get those numbers at OLM. After 2013 the threshold is 7.5k to drop.

The moisture gets in easily by diffusion of the water vapor in the air (actual air flow is not a requirement). Condensation happens w/ the "Delta T". How much gets in and whether or not it is an issue for you is certainly your call.

Last edited:
Your Colorado and Captiva (GM OLMs) are made before 2013 to get those numbers at OLM. After 2013 the threshold is 7.5k to drop.

Colorado is a 2016...

What is your problem with my posts?

Or you understanding ???

Colorado is a 2016...

What is your problem with my posts?

Or you understanding ???

Not problems with you or your posts. Looks like GM capped out the OLM to 7,5k miles, after 2013, as discussed here. What is your problem with my questioning?

My Colorado is a 2016, can't be "must be made before 2013" to be a 2016.

Service Interval is 15,000km (9,316 miles).

Last Oil change was 2% remaining at 15,800km (9,800 miles), and my manual says that the OLM can go out further depending on driving style, and not to exceed 20,000km, and 12 months.

So...
* it's 2016, NOT before 2013.
* and it's NOT capped at 7,500.
* and I was telling Billt460 that provided his OLM said it was right to go to 3 years, he was causing no damage, while 3 years in my cars would be insane.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back