Can Oil be changed too much?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Shannow
That's why I asked what your manual says when you were spraying about the silly number...My colorado clearly states that even if the number ISN'T zero, change the oil at 12 months. If you haven't changed your oil in 12 months, just like in my Colorado, you are in breach of the manual...pure and simple. You have stated in the other threads that owners MUST familiarise themselves with their manuals and obey them to the letter...so what gives ?

As I've stated in my first post, the electronic oil change "meter" isn't worth the powder it would take to blow it up. It tells people their oil is good when it's not. Period. It is ridiculous to even have it, if all it's going to do is provide the owner with bad information.... Which it does. And I agree with you, people should familiarize themselves with the owners manual.

But it doesn't change the fact they are going to follow the meter on the dash, because 1.) They trust it. And 2.) It is more convenient. Especially when the bogus information it is providing them with, is backed up by the B.S. E-Mails they're getting from the manufacturer each and every month.

If these so called, "free thinking engineers", are going to design a system of this type, then design it correctly. Don't build the thing so it gives people false information. Hoping they will catch a mistake they made, that isn't clarified until they read well over 600 pages into a manual. Having conflicting information on something as important as engine oil changes is just plain stupid.

So the engineers who designed your oil life monitoring system can't be trusted ?

You asked the question. It can be answered correctly in one word..... NO.

But they MUST be trusted on oil grade ???

Because they get that right, and the consumer can't be trusted when they didn't design the engine ???

But they MUST be trusted on oil grade ???

Because they get that right, and the consumer can't be trusted when they didn't design the engine ???

I've got a better question. Why do you continue to argue in defense of a poorly designed system that has been proven to give out incorrect information?

Originally Posted By: billt460
Originally Posted By: virginoil
Stupid OEM manufacturers who design and build vehicles...

As opposed to much smarter consumers who buy and drive them?
33.gif

Because similarly...you could drive that vehicle down to 0% on the OLM, and cause zero issues in your remaining period of ownership,

Because similarly...you could drive that vehicle down to 0% on the OLM, and cause zero issues in your remaining period of ownership,

So now you are defending the sheer stupidity of leaving oil in an engine for 3 years.

Leaving the oil in any of my vehicles for three years would be sheer stupidity.

Leaving the oil in the grossly oversized walking frame that some choose to use their vehicles for for three years...you will cause absolutely ZERO issues during your period of ownership changing the oil at the 0% mark.

You aren't driving it for 300,000 miles at 0.5MPH are you ?

Leaving the oil in the grossly oversized walking frame that some choose to use their vehicles for for three years...you will cause absolutely ZERO issues during your period of ownership changing the oil at the 0% mark.

As I said, you are not only defending a poorly designed system that gives out incorrect information. But also the sheer stupidity of leaving oil in an engine for over 3 years, because that same system tells you to. In direct contradiction to the owners manual these same "engineers" wrote, who designed it. Like before, we're done here. You are once again over the top of my waders.

Originally Posted By: billt460
My 3 year old 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee just turned 8,000 miles. So if I were to go by mileage alone, (or that silly % indicator on the dash), I would be changing oil every 5 years or more. That's insane.

So the engineers who designed your oil life monitoring system can't be trusted ?

What does it say in your manual ?

My Colorado (2016), the OLM behaves very much as I would (as an engineer) expect...lots of short tripping, it would have me change the oil at 5-6,000 miles. Highway, 13-15,000 miles. The manual then states that you shouldn't exceed 12 month.

What's insane about any of those... ?

Getting under a truck and dumping the sump and filter for an engine that has run exactly twice the last year. Just because a year went by, why should I change perfectly good golden clean oil?

Change the oil when the OLM indicates or once a year, whichever comes first. Follow this scenario and I'd say it'll all be good.

Originally Posted By: Tikka
Hi
Further to my thread about my OM642 I have the following question please.
I travel about 6000 miles a year. A lot of that mileage is stop start and short journeys where the Engine barely gets up to operating temperature. I understand this type of driving to be hard on Oils.
Generally I change my Oil at 6 month intervals so it will have been in the Engine for around 3000 miles or so.
Can changing the Oil at these intervals do more harm than good? In other words can you change your Oil too much apart from damaging your Wallet paying for the changes?
Many thanks.
Tikka.

What you are doing is perfect. Your vehicle qualifies as "Severe Use" .
We have much the same here, as my company provides me with a car and my wife works from home so both our personal vehicles sit with low mileage.
I change both vehicles 2 times a year and we live in a much more oil climate friendly place then you do, I think..

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: alarmguy
Hi
I travel about 6000 miles a year. A lot of that mileage is stop start and short journeys where the Engine barely gets up to operating temperature. I understand this type of driving to be hard on Oils.
Generally I change my Oil at 6 month intervals so it will have been in the Engine for around 3000 miles or so.
Can changing the Oil at these intervals do more harm than good? In other words can you change your Oil too much apart from damaging your Wallet paying for the changes?
Many thanks.
Tikka.

We have much the same here, as my company provides me with a car and my wife works from home so both our personal vehicles sit with low mileage.
I change both vehicles 2 times a year and we live in a much more oil climate friendly place then you do, I think..

Out of curiosity while following your change oil twice annually regime have either of you sent in an used oil sample for analysis??

Originally Posted By: CONMCK
Originally Posted By: alarmguy
Hi
Many thanks.
Tikka.

Out of curiosity while following your change oil twice annually regime have either of you sent in an used oil sample for analysis??

Hi conmck
No I have never had an analysis done. I thought I might as there is a well known company near me that does the analysis.

I leave the oil in my semi for 3 years (40,000km) oil change as per manual they use MPG or fuel burn in pounds I bet -over 800,000 kms still running strong.
Is it acid build up the concern?
I would think low sulfur oil mitigates that concern? whats really wrong with just sitting with the same oil (gallons of it)

An update Gents.
I sent a sample of my Oil away for analysis. My analysis was not as comprehensive as your Blackstone ones but I will type in what I can and would welcome any comments. The company that did the analysis was Millers in UK. Not sure if you lads have heard of them.

Oil was in vehicle 6 months and covered 4000 miles. PETRONAS Syntium 5w/30

Density @ 15.5c (g/ml) 0.855
Viscocity @ 100c (cSt) 12.00 cSt

Calcium (%) 0.261
Zinc (%) 0.119

Wear Metals in ppm
Cr 1
Pb 0
Ni 1
Sn 0
B 60
Fe 28
Mo 5
Si 9
V 0
Al 4
Cu 2
Na 10

Analysis reveals Oil to be in good condition and suitable for further use. We would advise change at 12 months.( Millers comment)

Comments welcome please.
Tikka

Yep, just as I suspected... she's gonna blow!!! Best to change every 6 months.

If you don't plan to keep it THAT long, once a year is do-able with synthetic. It all depends on how valuable that car is to you.

An update Gents.
I sent a sample of my Oil away for analysis. My analysis was not as comprehensive as your Blackstone ones but I will type in what I can and would welcome any comments. The company that did the analysis was Millers in UK. Not sure if you lads have heard of them.

Calcium (%) 0.261
Zinc (%) 0.119

Wear Metals in ppm
Cr 1
Pb 0
Ni 1
Sn 0
B 60
Fe 28
Mo 5
Si 9
V 0
Al 4
Cu 2
Na 10

Analysis reveals Oil to be in good condition and suitable for further use. We would advise change at 12 months.( Millers comment)

Comments welcome please.
Tikka

What is the year, make, model, of your vehicle? Good UOA. Oil from the ground is a bit older than most of us. Oil nor the filter know time. Time is a human construct. lol!

Originally Posted By: Onetor
An update Gents.

Calcium (%) 0.261
Zinc (%) 0.119

Wear Metals in ppm
Cr 1
Pb 0
Ni 1
Sn 0
B 60
Fe 28
Mo 5
Si 9
V 0
Al 4
Cu 2
Na 10

Comments welcome please.
Tikka

What is the year, make, model, of your vehicle? Good UOA. Oil from the ground is a bit older than most of us. Oil nor the filter know time. Time is a human construct. lol!

Hi.
Jeep grand Cherokee, 2008, 3.0crd.

Hi
Many thanks.
Tikka.
What would give you the idea that changing oil too soon would cause damage? You are doing good.

Ive been trying to decide myself how often I should change the oil in my van (in my sig). It takes about 7 months for me to accumulate 3000 miles. My daily commute to work is about 14 miles (13 of which are highway) and really doesnt get any more than that put on it for the most part. I live in Wisconsin where summers can sometimes hit 100, and winters can get down to -30.

My owners manual would consider this severe service which it recommends OCIs of 3000 miles or 3 months. I think I am going to start going to 3 month OCIs at least to start with. This next change, I plan on doing a UOA to see how it looks. This thread and others I have looked at helped me to decide that.

From what Ive always understood, changing the oil too often would do more damage to the wallet than anything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back