Can not see NOT using HIgh Mileage Oil !!!

My 2008 Acura TL in signature does NOT use any oil in between oil changes normally 5 to 7 thousand mile intervals. Being it is 12 years old, my last oil change was with QSHM 5W20 and my current oil is Pennzoil Platinum Pure Plus High Mileage 0W20. Cant see why it wont be beneficial going that route with the HM oil from here on out?? Condition seals and extra added anti wear additives. I see some people on BITOG even use HM oil with a new purchase these days.

Dale

If you were questioning us for using HM oils, then there's a topic to discuss. But you already made the decision to buy it and use it, so there's really no discussion, not until you see the results, at the end of your OCI.

There are many members that ask about certain oils - AFTER they buy it. I always investigate any prospective brand changes, BEFORE I buy it.

My opinion anyways......

well you did state some people use HM oil in brand new cars? that's a discussion no?

Like why? Any benefit or risk?

Originally Posted by BAJA_05
Then they can delete the thread if it is irrelevant. Sorry -- my bad!!!

Don't worry about it. Some people just aren't happy unless they can somehow show off their internet smugness. In real life these same folks are spineless nothings that weasel their way around confident in the safety of knowing their rudeness will never be abruptly subjected to a real time, come to jesus, head separation.

Originally Posted by sloinker
Don't worry about it. Some people just aren't happy unless they can somehow show off their internet smugness. In real life these same folks are spineless nothings that weasel their way around confident in the safety of knowing their rudeness will never be abruptly subjected to a real time, come to jesus, head separation.

Indeed, some people are just angry at the core and wish everyone to suffer with them.

BAJA, you make a valid point.
However for myself, IDK if using a HM oil in an engine that doesn't use oil(burn or leak/drips) is beneficial or not. I have been using HM oil in the Firebird in my sig for those reasons and the HM oils have indeed slowed down the oil usage over the past ~10 yrs.

Several other engines that we've driven to over 200k & 300k didn't use any noticeable oil during their 5k-7k OCI. And these engines didn't see any syn oils, only store brand or on sale/closeout and all being dino oils.

I've lost a couple engines to seal leaks. The elastomer just gets hard over time and things leak. Lots of labor to change out a very inexpensive seal. And if you don't have the time or skill to do it yourself, it's time to get rid of the vehicle. I think HM oils help a little but Father Time will win in the end. A newer high mileage used car is more appealing to me than an older lower mileage car.

Originally Posted by Char Baby
BAJA, you make a valid point.
However for myself, IDK if using a HM oil in an engine that doesn't use oil(burn or leak/drips) is beneficial or not. I have been using HM oil in the Firebird in my sig for those reasons and the HM oils have indeed slowed down the oil usage over the past ~10 yrs.

Several other engines that we've driven to over 200k & 300k didn't use any noticeable oil during their 5k-7k OCI. And these engines didn't see any syn oils, only store brand or on sale/closeout and all being dino oils.

I think you are Ok either way … HMO are not radical additions but carry other interesting specs … like Mobil 1 HM 10w30 packs a stout HTHS for a "30" … back when the GM trucks did the seepage thing I used it.
I bumped my two 4 bangers up a grade at 100k … but are feeding them really good clearance oil. With no seepage I can hold off.

I'll play the devil's advocate here:

is the difference between regular and HM oil a few additional additives that may or may not improve the durability of HM engines?

I think it doesn't matter anymore. HM oil was the option for a leaky gasket but most modern engines don't have many gaskets nowadays.

I've never used HM oil in over 40 years of driving.

Don't think it makes a lot of difference but if HM cost the same (it doesn't if you don't change your own) I'd get HM oil. I've used it in low mileage cars too.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 4WD
You can get a 10w35 in HM ...Ž

Be careful. The oil scientists will scourge you verbally that no such numbers exists in SAE Oil Society.

Yet you and I know that it actually does exist in our DIY Garage Journals. It's fun to play oil viscosity chemist and it hasn't hurt any of my vehicles of the past 50-something years .... not one iota.

My next batch will have a 50-50 blend of 0w20 and 10w30...... called 5w25. If the Oil Society doesn't want to give me flexible viscosity numbers for it, then I'll start a new homemade chart and narrow their charts #s to fit mine-in.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Be careful. The oil scientists will scourge you verbally that no such viscosity exists in SAE Oil Society.

Yet you and I know that it actually does exist in our DIY Garage Journals.

Oil scientists? You have to be an oil scientist to know that?

If it does exist as you say then what is the viscosity range for a 35-grade oil? Don't the current grades meet up with viscosity limits, so what it ends up is on one end of the existing grade ranges rather than needing a separate designation?

Originally Posted by 4WD

Did you forget to take your medication again 4wd ???

lol.gif

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted by 4WD

Be careful. The oil scientists will scourge you verbally that no such numbers exists in SAE Oil Society.

Yet you and I know that it actually does exist in our DIY Garage Journals. It's fun to play oil viscosity chemist and it hasn't hurt any of my vehicles of the past 50-something years .... not one iota.

My next batch will have a 50-50 blend of 0w20 and 10w30...... called 5w25. If the Oil Society doesn't want to give me flexible viscosity numbers for it, then I'll start a new homemade chart and narrow their charts #s to fit mine-in.

Have you been day drinking due to the quarantine?

Originally Posted by BAJA_05
My 2008 Acura TL in signature does NOT use any oil in between oil changes normally 5 to 7 thousand mile intervals. Being it is 12 years old, my last oil change was with QSHM 5W20 and my current oil is Pennzoil Platinum Pure Plus High Mileage 0W20. Cant see why it wont be beneficial going that route with the HM oil from here on out?? Condition seals and extra added anti wear additives. I see some people on BITOG even use HM oil with a new purchase these days.

Dale

Don't jinx yourself buddy. A J32 from that era will be due for the oil pump re-seal any day now.

Do the HM oils typically carry a Zinc/Phos level in excess of SN(etc) certification? What is the main draw with them?

Back