can mixing Pennzoil Platinum and Ultra do any harm

Status
Not open for further replies.
15.gif

be honestly, nothing will happen

Originally Posted By: 345hemi
Ok it's OCI time and my car takes 7qts. I had a 5 qt jug of 5w20 PP and had 2 qts of PU in the basement also 5W20. I was wondering will it do any harm to mix these 2 or should i just go purchase 2 qts of PP. Both are the same weight and same manufacturer im guessing one has stronger add pack but its the same make up? 6k or 7.5k intervals.

The only safe way is to alternate the oils quart by quart.

In my experience no. All the cars I currently service take 5.5 for the Mazdas or 6.75 for the IS250. Being that I purchase the 5 quart jugs since it is less expensive than individual quart bottles, I often find myself using the full 5 quart jug along with a top off of something else from another 5 quart jug. For example, I just recently changed the oil in my Mazda6, used 5 quart jug of PU 5W-20 and half a quart of QSUD 0W-20. Did the same for the Mazda3 and so far no ill effects. If I have the means, I will purchase two 5 quart jugs, use one for the majority fill and the other jug for the half-quart part etc. until it runs out. In general I'd have no problems mixing oils in the same general [warm] weight [0W-20 to 5W-20 and xW-30s to other xW-30s and so on] from the same parent company in the same general class [syn to syn and conventional to conventional, so PU to QSUD or PP and PYB to QSGB etc.]

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 345hemi
Thanks Chris for that info!

No problem! I suppose the only time I wouldn't want to mix is if I wanted to establish a baseline for oil analysis on one particular oil; if problems showed up in a report with a mix, it'd be hard for me to discern whether the mixed oil was a huge contributor or not, as I can most certainly say that different oils may be close in additive pack, but not necessarily the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back