Can I use 0-30 in place of 5-20

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2014 ford fusion with the 2.5 non turbo engine. It only has 20500 miles on it, and it has had 5-20 QSUD since the factory oil was drained out at about 4000 miles. I change oil spring and fall if it needs it or not, as it gets a lot of short trips. As you can tell it doesn't get a lot of miles on any one oil change. And I have been changing the filter every time. At first I used the motorcraft filters, but las couple times I went to fram TG. I have a couple cases of Mobil 1 full syn that is 0-30. I am thinking that it would be good to put in for my spring change next month to run through the summer, then in the fall go back to the 5-20 Quaker. What do you all say??

Tig1 has gone 200,000 miles with his Fusion on M1 0W-20 changing the oil every 10,000 miles. That's what I'd recommend.

If you do lots of of short trips, I'd keep with 0W20 and just do shorter changes. Less drag on an unheated engine. That said, if the oil is free (already in the stash) then why not.

Absolutely!! Alot of people only follow thier owners manual which has alot to do with Cafe Standards. 0w30 or 0w40 is Great. The thicker oil will work fine and I ve actually seen better fuel mileage with heavier oils such as 10w30 over 5w20 oils. Many of these people who are terrified to challenge a American owners manual could not even tell the difference between a 0w20 and 0w30 in a clear jar, think your engine can? It's a excellent choice and by far better, your bearings will thank you.

I'd save the 0W30 for winter use given that you live in a cold area, but either way should work.
If you are mostly short tripping, my take is that maybe getting some easier starts in very cold weather would be more of a boon than 20 vs. 30 in an engine that is probably not even reaching full operating temp in the summer.

I would use it without thinking twice.

However, if you really wanted to be a stickler, you could blend it with a 0W20 to make it a thick 0W20. For example, assuming you're talking about Mobil 1 AFE, the 0W20 is 8.7 cSt and the 0W30 is 10.9 cSt (@ 100C). If you blend it at 30% 0W30 and 70% 0W20, you would hit exactly 9.3 cSt (@ 100C), which would technically still be a 0W20. http://www.widman.biz/English/Calculators/Mixtures.html

So what does Ford suggest for that engine in Australia, for example, where they are not trading off engine protection for fuel consumption?

I switched everything over to 5W30. One of the three vehicles calls for 5W20 only, with no other options. Cafe driven. You'll have no problems.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
Absolutely!! Alot of people only follow thier owners manual which has alot to do with Cafe Standards. 0w30 or 0w40 is Great. The thicker oil will work fine and I ve actually seen better fuel mileage with heavier oils such as 10w30 over 5w20 oils. Many of these people who are terrified to challenge a American owners manual could not even tell the difference between a 0w20 and 0w30 in a clear jar, think your engine can? It's a excellent choice and by far better, your bearings will thank you.

Very true. Being in Florida you can get away with most anything without issues.

Originally Posted By: FordCapriDriver
You absolutely can use 0W-30 in an engine specifying 5W-20.

I lived in Florida for 15 years and in the Pennsylvania mountains for 33 years. We would use 15w40 oil in everything and never had a oil related issue well below 0 in cars spec'd for 5w30.

Go ahead and use it--there will be NO oil related problems.I'm not an M-1 fanboy, but picked up the same oil at AZ on their end-of-year clearance. I'll use it in someone else's car.
FWIW the the M-1 0-30 follows the almost the exact same viscosity curve as M-1 5-30, in fact, it is even a little thicker between if memory serves correct, about 0 degrees to about 70 degrees. Sounds crazy, but it is true--
Steve

You an try it. The worst that would happen is you get a variable cam timing error code (cam position slow response or similar) if that engine has variable cam timing.

Some VCT engines can take an Xw30 in place of a 20 (or vice-versa) just fine, others throw codes. It all depends on how close to the edge the self-diagnostics are.

OK, thanks all. I think I will use it (the 0-30) when I change next month. Now I just have to figure if I want to run the Fram TG till fall (one year) or change it out also.

M1 0w30 will absolutely be fine
smile.gif

It's a thinner 30 for better fuel economy anyway, so not too bad.

The viscosity difference is fine. But the M1 0w-30 and QSUD are pretty different add packs. I'd rather just stick to one add pack type until all that oil is used up.

M1 20/30 grades are low calcium, high magnesium, moly and boron
QUSD is high calcium, no magnesium, moly and boron

My humble opinion is to do it. It's not wildly different than 5w 20. I've used close enough weights as well, when there was a good sale, or money is tight. Didn't notice a change in functionality or mpg.

Interesting that my Hyundai manual states : 5W20 , 5W30 or 10W30 depending on ambient temps outside . It also states that if towing and / or summer temps are present then the 5W30 or 10W30 are the better choice ... *Makes me wonder if 5W20 is a marginal oil to begin with only stated due to CAFE ? Also makes me wonder if 0Wxx oils aren't recommended due to not wanting customers to feel forced into using synthetic oils ? To get back on point - it would seem where ever you use a 5W20 oil using a 0W30 would not be a big deal .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back