CAN I SAFELY USE DELO 400 15/40 IN MY 04 TUNDRA 4.7

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use Delo 15/40 in my fleet of tractors and my Cummins powered Dodge. For simplicity in purchasing, I would like to use it in my 04 Tundra V8. Anyone see any problems in doing so? I live in the high desert of So Calif. Lowest winter temps during the day when the truck would be used are around 30 degrees.

It might be OK, but it's probably not recomended by the manufactorer. I was going to recomend mixing it with Supreme 5w30 or buying Delo 10w30, but I guess that wouldn't help much.

Add 5-20 Chevron or Havoline to your delo and keep the tundra in grade. Kragen's still nearly giving the CS away so take advantage of it.

Is this an April Fools joke?
dunno.gif

It is not difficult to grab your heavier Delo off the shelf -- then some 5W-30 a few steps further down the aisle.
cool.gif

Poor excuse my man!
rolleyes.gif

You can use it. Most posters including me would cut the delo thinner. If you buy delo in bulk
can your distributor get 10-30 delo by the case and you won't have to be a mixmaster.

Most likely he can, I was just looking at the convienence of pumping one product. What I was looking for was real world information from 4.7 Toyota Tundra owners who have used 15/40 Delo, or for that matter, any 15/40 product in their 4.7 engines. I know all of the manufacturers are recommending the lighter weight oils for fuel milage. If I lived in cold country I would not even be asking this question.

I don't see any problem using 15W-40 in your V-8 Tundra other than possible increase in start-up wear and lower mpg and more sluggish performance. Do an used oil analysis with your current oil and run the 15W-40 for the same miles as you current oil and see if you notice a drop in your mpg and performance. Also do another UOA with the 15W-40 and see if the wear metals have increased. Then you can intelligently decide whether it's ok for YOU to use the 15W-40 in your Tundra. Otherwise it's just heresay from other people. Each vehicle and driving circumstances are unique. Basically, "what's good for me may not be good for you".

Whimsey

I agree with whimsey. I think 10-30 is the one size fits all for the general public. my 140,000 mile V6 4runner calls for 10w-30. I'm still going to 15w-40 Delo or rotella. I live in FL... it's a desert populated with people and gators and a few swamps here and there. I think these manufactures recomend lighter oil for Fuel economy and for colder climates. and probly b/c the average joe just gets in and FLOORS IT. sit in a mall parking lot for about 30 minutes and see how quick people get in, start the engine, get on the cell phone and high tail it out of there. Car has been on for 15 seconds and it's already at 3,000 rpm.

I've been using GC in my wife's Sequoia (SUV sibling of Tundra; exact same 2UZ-FE engine) with very nice results. GC is, as most of the addicts here know, a thick 30 that's very close to being a 40. I have no idea how much the 15w side of the equasion would effect wear on start.

In addition to the Tundra UOAs that 427 was kind enough to supply links for, there are also a bunch more great UOA for Sequoias, Land Cruisers, LX470 (I have not yet seen one for a V-8 4Runner, but I could have missed it). Anyway, from all these, you'll see that the 2UZ absolutely thrives on 30 wt, even the thinnest dino version thereof, and really, there's no good reason to go thicker. Dare I suggest that you might even try a 5w-20?
cheers.gif

I'm gonna go with what gives ME better UOA's. 10-30 dino, 15-40 delo or 15-40 Tella are on the cutting block. Ekpolk-you got a point. no real reason to run a 40wt oil if you're losing gas milage/power and not gaining wear reduction. I have my $20 on the best Uoa for me will be on Delo 15/40. but time and science will tell.

You would most likely get away with using Delo 15/40 in that climate. But I think a good SM XXw-30 with reasonable OCI would be a better choice for power and gas mileage than a 40w. I've ran my fair share of 15w 40 in the summer in higher mileage Toyota's and XXw 40s they do suck some power out of them. Keep in mind cold engine oil flow is very desirable for long life. I'm assuming that your 04 does not have a bunch of miles on it.

Okay you have convinced me. I will continue to use 5-30 in it. Is Mobile drive clean 5000 mile 5-30 a good oil? I forgot to add, I use 5000 mile oil change intervals.

[ April 02, 2006, 05:06 PM: Message edited by: MULESKINNER ]

Yep!!! Sure can!!!! My Mothers 2003 Tundra TRD Off Road, Access Cab, 4.7 V8 runs Mobil-1 15W50 so 15W40 would be fine.

quote:

Originally posted by JohnBrowning:
Yep!!! Sure can!!!! My Mothers 2003 Tundra TRD Off Road, Access Cab, 4.7 V8 runs Mobil-1 15W50 so 15W40 would be fine.

MULESKINNER,
Remember this is heresay until JB produces UOA's for your engine using Mobil 1 15W-50 so we can analyze the wear metals. As far as the "seat of the pants power feel" and mpg between a 5W-30 and 15W-XX is really up to the driver who used multiple oils and noted them.

Personally I found out after 2 years of using Castrol "old" fully synthetic 5W-50 versus the dino 5W-30 my mpg and seat of the pants power feel were reduced a lot less than in my 2.0L Ford Zetec. But again that was MY experience with using a much more viscous than recommened oil.

Whimsey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back