Can i get some insight on what i will need to install a g80 locker

I have a gm 9.5 semi floating rear end. It’s currently an open diff. I bought the g80 locking center to replace the spider gears. The rear is out of the vehicle and is easy to work on. I have never messed with a rear end before and I want to know what can i reuse and what needs to be new as far as bearings and whatnot when putting this locker in? When i look for information online all i get is a bunch of posts saying if you asking then you should have a shop do it. I’m just looking for others knowledge to help me not overlook something.

You do realize the ring gear has to be removed from old dif unit and bolted onto the G80? just that is a huge PIA as most are pressed on fit and I wont even begin to try to explain the process of getting the gears aligned again. After you make that happen I would think you want every wear item inside replaced, meaning all the bearings, etc. Also all the ones on the axle ends also. There should be "master rebuild" kits sold that include every little part including cover gasket and new bolts.

The fact that you are asking seems to indicate you don't know much about the process, not to be offensive but I did a quick search and almost everyone doing something to upgrade that rear DOES NOT USE A G80.

Time to sit down for some serious youtube watching sir....

Not familiar enough with the G80 to know for sure, but pretty sure it's an entire carrier.

If you're replacing the spider gears with a "lunchbox locker" you can usually get away without checking/setting the backlash (usually set with shims on the carrier) and pinion depth.

But if you are replacing the entire carrier - which I think a G80 is - then it's going to be a major ordeal. Some people will say you can get away with just swapping over the carrier bearings and shims to the new carrier. Sometimes you can. I guess as long as it isn't out of spec and doesn't howl you can do that.

But that's not to say that the two carriers are slightly different; one is slightly wider than the other. Then you'll really have issues. Even .005'' can cause problems. I wouldn't trust it, myself. At that point you're looking at a whole differential setup / rebuild.

If I was going to any time or expense I'd spend more to get a durable locker. The G80 just isn't it. Anytime you change gears or carriers it's not a quick bolt it on and go process.

As everyone else mentioned, the G80 has it's own carrier. It also kinda sucks.
If you're looking for a locked diff that you can install, I recommend a lunch box locker (LockRight, etc.).
Otherwise, you're going to need to swap the ring gear and bearings over and set up and all that mess.

Yes i know most people upgrade from the g80 not to the g80 but i like the g80. I don’t want to hear how bad it is and how the carrier cracks etc. yes i will be un bolting the open carrier and then bolting on the g80 carrier to the ring gear. I don’t have an issue doing any of the rear end rebuild. I have a press, dial indicator, beam and click torque wrenches, torches etc. Plus the vehicle its going in is on the road and this is a spare rear so I’m not time constrained. I’m just getting this set up so i can swap rears. Im just looking for any unforeseen issues. It’s good to know about the essentially presses on ring gear.

Back