Can I add Techron after fill-up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just filled the car up yesterday, and forgot to put the Techron in. My normal habit is to put the Techron in the the fill-up before I change my oil so that it is a complete tank of gas used with Techron before I change the oil. Anyway, I have a full tank of gas, I want to change the oil next week. Will adding the Techron now mix in the gas while driving or will it stay concentrated and not mix well?

yes, dump it in
happy2.gif

Originally Posted By: Cooper
I just filled the car up yesterday, and forgot to put the Techron in. My normal habit is to put the Techron in the the fill-up before I change my oil so that it is a complete tank of gas used with Techron before I change the oil. Anyway, I have a full tank of gas, I want to change the oil next week. Will adding the Techron now mix in the gas while driving or will it stay concentrated and not mix well?

You can. Me being weird would just drive to the gas station, throw the Techron in and top of the gas tank.

If I were you, I would wait till I use at least a gallon of gas and then add techron and add another gallon of gas. That way, it will mix well.

Originally Posted By: rg200amp

You can. Me being weird would just drive to the gas station, throw the Techron in and top of the gas tank.

+1, this is what Id do too.

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
I think the techron will mix as you drive around; in fact it will be mixed the firdt time you hit the brakes.
33.gif

+1

I think the issue is not the mixing in the tank, the issue is how much will stuck on the filler tube. If you add 1 bottle I think that should be less a problem, but if you just add 1.5 oz Si-1 maintenance dose, I would suggest to pump the petrol after putting the additive so the additive will be washed down to the tank from the filling tube.

Originally Posted By: kr_bitog
I would suggest to pump the petrol after putting the additive so the additive will be washed down to the tank from the filling tube.
yep, biggest "issue" I can see....which is generally why it's recommended that most additives be used "prior" to fill up.....allowing the fuel to "wash away" the additive" down the filler neck/tube.

Mixing is no problem, we're not talking oil and water here lol. The additive is gonna mix no problem in the tank either way....but yea, when it comes to smallish doses of additives, particular for MMO (where you're only adding say 4-5 oz. depending on fill capacity), the marvel mystery oil, being an oil and all, tends to "get trapped in the filler neck/tube....I know I've seen it on my car, so I will usually do a "qick shot" or two of fuel down the filler tube, to make sure it washes down the additive when I'm filling up.....

Pump a gallon of gas in, add a little techron, pump a gallon, add a little techron, pump a gallon.......

I just waited until the tank was 1/2 down, then added the Techron and filled up the rest of the way. I think that should be fine. I really wasn't comfortable with adding it to a full tank. Didn't want it to settle or something in get sucked in all at once through the injectors. Don't know if that would have happened, but didn't take any chances.

Techron is MUCH thinner in viscosity than either RL SI 1 or 2, or MMO.

Could some 'stick' in the gas filler neck? Yes, but not like the other two mentioned above.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back