Can hail dents be repaired DIY?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: pottymouth

When the time comes, he might be able to help you "unload it on some unsuspecting sucker".

lol.gif
crackmeup2.gif

Last hail storm, I thought it was "no big thing" until I took it to the adjuster. 9k in damage, not everything could be done with PDR.

I am very interest in dentless repair, especially after some 4 or 5 experiences that need body repair, now I would go there ONLY necessary (i rather keep minor ding or dent then go there if original paint remain intact)
I do not know your area, but it's almost impossible to find a shop that does good enough work around where I live. thanks to these works, my eyes is very good at picking any auto body repair now, slight mismatch paint at unique angle(or they never be able to match completely), none OE style paint, slight over spray clear at difficult spot, mus-align left/right view or certain angle, not to mention poor rust removal/proof and lead to bubble after 3 to 4 year after body works.
to me, dentless repair is not fix-all, but offer very good option, especially if the damage were cosmetic. dentless repair maintain original paint and body work so no issue in mismatching in colour. if the OE paint start to crak after 10 years after work, it's still fine with me, because buyer can tell there had been no major body work or repaint on this car when i want to sell it. and no rust to worry during the ownership. but these are my own unproven idea, please correct me if i am wrong (that dentless is just as bad as body work) so i can get dent on my car fix!!

I just got back from having an estimate done and it came to $2531. Here`s what I`m wondering. My hood still has the oem heat sheild,and will that get destroyed during the repair? I have a few dings on the door and rear decklid as well. What concerns me is that will they have to remove all the inner door and decklid panels to repair the dings? If so,I don`t really like that idea as I`m afraid once all that stuff is removed,that it`ll never be as tight and straight as it was before. Is this sort`ve thing an actual concern? If it is,I`d rather live with the dings.

how do you find the bodyshop? did someone recommend it? what's the review or reputation around the area? They will probably gave you the best result..
the insulation liner shall be removed the re-install after repair. (i even heard scam body shop remove OE item and replace it with cheap aftermarket one.. that's how bad it is) the level of the workmanship is different among shops, and even same shop have different level of quality. as insider told me, body work is an "art work" and not assembly line, so each output is different
crazy.gif
I did find a better result if i talk to the owner or manager and make sure they know I care about my car and i will not pay if they do not produce good work. for repair on a small ding shall not cause any issu... best wishes!!

Clark:

I give up!!

My experience is 2 fold. I worked with him for about 9 months hoping to learn the craft and help him out. I never quite picked it up good enough for him or I. I could do hoods, roofs, trunks fine, but vertical panels are MUCH harder!!

BTW: I've got a dollar AND I'll go get a donut if you wanna come try to find the places he has done. Heck, I'll even take you to some of his other work.

BUT, I doubt you'll take me up on it...WAY too much hot air coming out of you.

I'm all about helping people...but I'm done listening to you!!

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I just got back from having an estimate done and it came to $2531. Here`s what I`m wondering. My hood still has the oem heat sheild,and will that get destroyed during the repair? I have a few dings on the door and rear decklid as well. What concerns me is that will they have to remove all the inner door and decklid panels to repair the dings? If so,I don`t really like that idea as I`m afraid once all that stuff is removed,that it`ll never be as tight and straight as it was before. Is this sort`ve thing an actual concern? If it is,I`d rather live with the dings.

Honestly when you tear panels off a car for dent repair or painting they usually won't fit as good as they did stock. It is kind of like when you unbox things you buy from china mart or bestbuy then try to put it back in the box like they did at the factory to return it, you usually don't get it back in just the way it was when you took it out, lol.

Some shops are really good at fitting them back in, others not... Pick the shop you have do the work carefully. Hopefully they do not muff it up, that is one of those cars you really don't want looking altered, it will be worth $$$ one day.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
... Here`s what I`m wondering. My hood still has the oem heat sheild,and will that get destroyed during the repair? I have a few dings on the door and rear decklid as well. What concerns me is that will they have to remove all the inner door and decklid panels to repair the dings? ...

(I'm assuming it is a PDR estimate)

As long as the hood liner is not glued (Mercedes does this, 99.9% sure a 300zx isn't) it will not get destroyed, they will remove the push pins make the repair and put it back. Door panels are 50-50, it is quite common to go between the door glass and belt molding. The trunk liner will probably have to come off unless there are only a few and you can get the PDR guy to glue pull them.

We had dent removal guys take small dents out of new and used cars where I worked all the time. They do a nice job with certain kinds of dents and damage. Not everything can be fixed by them, but the dents they can handle do come out well. Our guys were honest and would fix what they could. If they couldn't fix it they'd tell us. It was a lot cheaper than a body shop, and we never had problems with original paint failing after they did a repair. It's certainly worth looking into, and a repair I would not do myself, especially if insurance was going to cover it. Keep in mind there are hacks in every profession, ask to see their work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back